PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot share Windows Printer

Rog3236
February 24th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I have a Windows XP box with an HP5610 connected to a USB port. I have a Dell notebook computer loaded with Ubuntu 9.10. I have the two networked via a wireless connection and can share folders/files between the two with no problem. Unfortunately, I cannot share the Windows printer with the Ubuntu box. I can go through the printer setup with Samba on the notebook and the HP is detected however, whenever I go to verify I get an invalid argument error.

I have read a number of posts related to the subject some are quite dated and none of the steps I have taken seem to resolve the issue. I really need someone who knows what they are talking about to help me resolve the problem; i.e. need a logical step by step procedure to determine just what I am doing wrong.

In reading one of the posts it suggested pinging the ubuntu box from the Windows box. Since I already have viable file sharing connection does that come in play at all?

Thanks,
Roger

suseendran.rengabashyam
February 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Have you tried replacing the client generated 'WorkGroup/Computer_Name' with the Windows XP machine's IP address ?