PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer freezes when i hit 'upgrade' on package manager

MindFusion
February 23rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hi

I seem to have a small problem. Since september, i hooked up an old Acer laptop (with just 560 RAM and a 16 mib graphical card) to a computer screen, a keyboard and a mouse, so that i had an extra 'computer' for my mother to use. Old people prefer bigger screens to ponder upon.

But anyways, each time i want to update or upgrade the 9.04 Ubuntu distribution, it freezes. This is quite annoying since i really want it to upgrade to 9.10, for possible faster results.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

tom4everitt
February 23rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
You should be able to do this from the terminal with sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Before that I think you have to change your software sources to the version you want to upgrade to. Just google "distribution upgrade apt-get" or something like that.

Here's a thread with some info also:
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3105344.0

JKH Designs
February 23rd, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hello MindFusion,

This sounds similar to my problem that I just posted about "Version Upgrades not working". I am surprised yours only freezes up both of mine locked up and even a fresh boot would not pull up the Kubuntu desktop had to reinstall. I understand the the next LTS is due out in April 2010, I have had very good luck with my first experiences with 8.04 Hardy LTS I've been runnning since August 08 with no problems other than the 2 systems I've tried to run version upgrade.

Let me know if you find a solution.

James

azagaros
February 23rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
I really think you guys are seeing the evolution of Linux kernel and the assumption of groups of programmers thinking that kind of hardware has phase out of the supply chain.

I read about those kind of changes all the time in the linux kernel dev forums. Not to mention that the base machine to run some of the things of Ubuntu is getting a little enormous. I would start looking for a striped back version of a linux distribution for the older hardware. One it will make the hardware last longer because your not driving it at full speed just to keep up.

Just some food for thought.

MindFusion
February 24th, 2010, 12:34 PM
TBH, i'm starting to consider it might me the RAM that is insufficient... 560 megs of RAM used to be a good number, if you only used it for internet purposes, which my mom does, but nowadays, you seem to need at least 1 GIG of RAM to get things done... all the bullcrap on pc's nowadays..