PDA

View Full Version : Of ISO's, Burning & Old Hard Drives

neu5eeCh
February 23rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
[Edit: I meant to write Old DVD Drives]

I've been trying out all kinds of different distros on an HP ZD7000 (laptop). And here's the weird thing, some live CDs (depending on the distro) will work on my Laptop - Ubuntu 9,10, PC/OS, Mint Linux 8, Mint KDE 8 while others just won't - FREEBSD, Ubuntu 10.x, Nexenta, StormOS, OpenSolaris, MoonOS, WattOS, Belenix, PCBSD.

I don't get it.

Some of the distros are ones I've burned with a variety of different programs. Roxio seems to have the highest success rate. Additionally, the same distros that don't work on the older computer, run nicely on newer laptops (where I don't want to install). But what's up? Could it be the CDRom drive, the BIOS, the distro-specific LiveCD's? Just wondering...

After touring through the different distros, and trying XFCE, Gnome and KDE, I've returned to Ubuntu/Gnome. It installs with the least effort and with the least post-install hacking.

The two distros I would have liked to have installed were StormOS and WattOS. StormOS looks promising, being built on OSOL but using the Gnome desktop. Has anyone here tried out this OS? Thumbs up? Down?

I want to try out Fluxbox, FVWM and maybe enlightenment.

mörgæs
February 24th, 2010, 11:48 AM
On all the Ubuntu CD's, you can choose 'check CD for defects' while booting. If this test is good, it seems like the hardware simply does not like the particular distro.

Do you burn the CD's at low speed?

If you suspect that the CD- or DVD-drive is ill, you could try booting from a USB memory stick.