PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Xbox 360 Controller in 9.10

Drumber
February 23rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
Ok, so I'm trying to get my Xbox 360 controller (wired) to work with Ubuntu using this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xbox360Controller) guide. First problem is with:

sudo apt-get install jscalibrator libgii1 libjsw2None of those packages seem to exist, but it says they are optional, so I moved on for now.
Second problem is when trying to run "make" under the compiling and installing the driver section. It get the following:

make modules -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-19-generic SUBDIRS=/home/jake/.x360
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-19-generic'
CC [M] /home/jake/.x360/xpad.o
/home/jake/.x360/xpad.c: In function ‘xpad_wireless_connect’:
/home/jake/.x360/xpad.c:291: error: implicit declaration of function ‘info’
/home/jake/.x360/xpad.c: In function ‘xpad_open’:
/home/jake/.x360/xpad.c:382: error: ‘struct input_dev’ has no member named ‘private’
/home/jake/.x360/xpad.c: In function ‘xpad_close’:
/home/jake/.x360/xpad.c:408: error: ‘struct input_dev’ has no member named ‘private’
/home/jake/.x360/xpad.c: In function ‘xpad_probe’:
/home/jake/.x360/xpad.c:496: error: ‘struct input_dev’ has no member named ‘cdev’
/home/jake/.x360/xpad.c:497: error: ‘struct input_dev’ has no member named ‘private’
make[2]: *** [/home/jake/.x360/xpad.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/jake/.x360] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-19-generic'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I searched around and couldn't find any help. So, can anyone here give me a hand?

MiceMiceRabies
March 2nd, 2010, 02:43 AM
I get the same issues as stated above.

I have had some luck when my Makefile contains

KERNEL_PATH?=/usr/src/linux-headers-$(shell uname -r)

EXTRA_CFLAGS=-I$(shell pwd)

obj-m:=xpad.c

all:
$(MAKE) modules -C $(KERNEL_PATH) SUBDIRS=$(shell pwd)

install:
cp -f xpad.c /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/joystick

in this file I changed the extension of xpad.o or xpad.ko to xpad.c
then the rest of the commands in the xbox360controller instructions seem to work. I still cannot get my joystick to register.

any help is appreciated

Drumber
March 2nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
I changed my makefile as stated and it worked. (Or it didn't give me any errors at least.) Moving on to the testing portion, I plug in and run "dmesg" and get a massive amount returned, the interesting bits being (I think):

[ 7507.458058] usbcore: registered new interface driver xpad
[ 7507.458068] xpad: X-Box pad driver
[ 7539.456671] usb 5-3: USB disconnect, address 3
[ 7542.816062] usb 5-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
[ 7542.992086] usb 5-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 7542.995355] Registered led device: xpad0
[ 7542.995485] input: Microsoft X-Box 360 pad as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.0/usb5/5-3/5-3:1.0/input/input7

So I think that means its found the device, right? jscalibrator wouldn't install, so I can't configure it. Bit stuck now.

MiceMiceRabies
March 3rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
you have gotten further then I have. The only wired xbox360 controller I have is an arcade stick. My system isnt picking it up at all, I read that other people are having the same problem. A friend of mine said that on Lucid he is having no problems with his arcade stick, that it works plug and play.

ANYWAY, now that your controller is detected use JoyToKey to calibrate it, also a great key mapper you can use is qjoypad, you will have to build that from source as well. forget about jscalibrator.

so for joy2key
$ sudo apt-get install joy2key

then to run and calibrate

$ joy2key -dev /dev/input/js0 -terminal

and follow on screen prompt.

I think that Qjoypad may also have a calibrator in GUI which maybe easier.

proxess
March 3rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Seriously? I just connect mine and play zsnes... 9.10 has default support for xpad360.

MiceMiceRabies
March 3rd, 2010, 05:28 PM
are you playing with an arcade style joystick? or a game pad?

Drumber
March 4th, 2010, 03:43 PM
you have gotten further then I have. The only wired xbox360 controller I have is an arcade stick. My system isnt picking it up at all, I read that other people are having the same problem. A friend of mine said that on Lucid he is having no problems with his arcade stick, that it works plug and play.

ANYWAY, now that your controller is detected use JoyToKey to calibrate it, also a great key mapper you can use is qjoypad, you will have to build that from source as well. forget about jscalibrator.

so for joy2key
$ sudo apt-get install joy2key

then to run and calibrate

$ joy2key -dev /dev/input/js0 -terminal

and follow on screen prompt.

I think that Qjoypad may also have a calibrator in GUI which maybe easier.

Ah, cheers. Joy2key definitely recognises my controller, which is nice, but I am having trouble configuring it. What is the form of the .joy2keyrc file?