PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever tried PCLinuxOS?

PapaWiskas
March 8th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I know this is a dumb question. But I had to ask since I have only used Ubuntu. I am not looking to leave Ubuntu at all, but I am curious about some of the other distros out there.

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of PCLinuxOS?

Thanks for your time.

Lord Illidan
March 8th, 2006, 04:26 PM
PCLinuxOS is more windows like than Ubuntu. It uses KDE, too.

It didn't work very well for me. It didn't detect my sound card for starters, which Ubuntu has always done. Also, it seemed a bit slow.

That said, mp3 codecs are included, and it comes with the video card driver, too,

PapaWiskas
March 8th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I am interested in giving it a go, no it won't bump off Ubuntu, just want to get an over-all feeling for Linux. ;)

I saw your thread but thought I should post my response in mine, so as to not spread things everywhere....

I downloaded it last night and am using it now on my laptop, the live CD version. I am trying to find things that dont work on it, and so far, everything works....sound, graphics, different USB drives I have, and wireless worked right off the bat. Now I have to figure out why it dont work in Ubuntu, sigh....since I am a noob I thought maybe my adapter wouldn't work in Linux, but obviously it does. Or I screwed something up in Ubuntu...who knows, not a big priority right now since I dont have a wireless router at home.

It has KDE and Fluxbox....I couldnt get fluxbox to work in Ubuntu, not sure why. I really like the look and feel of flux alot, and considering I am on a live cd I am surprised at how fast it is.

I really do prefer Gnome and XFCE, but I am trying to see if there are other distros out there that might suit my wife better before I decide to give her one. I am thinking so far she will be using Kubuntu, but the PCLinuxOS does not look bad either as far as KDE goes. It has similar feeling to XP which is what she is used to.

Lord Illidan
March 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Of course, if it suits you, then by all means use it instead of Ubuntu. We don't believe in locking people to one distro.

aysiu
March 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM
It's a live CD and installer CD in one.
It's all graphical.
It has a killer partitioning program (DiskDrake).
It includes a lot of proprietary codecs.

And... it didn't detect my sound card or USB mouse.
So I'm using Ubuntu.

PapaWiskas
March 8th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Of course, if it suits you, then by all means use it instead of Ubuntu. We don't believe in locking people to one distro.

I am not giving up my Ubuntu sir, you can not make me!:twisted: Just try and take it.....I dare you!:mrgreen:

byen
March 8th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I am not giving up my Ubuntu sir, you can not make me! Just try and take it.....I dare you!
LOL.. no matter what distros I try... Ubuntu seems to be the one that matches my needs too. That being said. I have tried PCLinuxOS on my friends computer and I have to say...it is very neat! Looks neat, most of the stuff works and I think it is very noob friendly. I would recommend it to anyone without a second thought (considering that they tried and tried and tried with Ubuntu ofcourse)

Dr. E
March 21st, 2006, 08:38 PM
PClinuxOS is a distro that is designed to work out of the box without having to muck around installing codecs etc. It's good for new Linux users who don't want to use the command line to get it up and running.

nalmeth
March 21st, 2006, 09:06 PM
I use the PClinuxOS liveCD when I go to work, because the work computer is really messed up with Windows :-?
PCLinuxOS comes with non-free codecs and plug-ins already installed (flash, mozilla-plugins, i think w32codecs etc) and a host of other non-free stuff.
When I boot at work, everything works (even a funny ball wheel mouse), including automatically setting up a LEXMARK printer. That's right.
It's pretty slick, but I wouldn't install it personally. I tried a couple times, and the installer seemed so sluggish running with live evironment all the time, I think the installer just froze and crashed. Anyway, I use Ubuntu because I like APT, and I like the free idea.

PCLinuxOs is one of those companies that offers an "enterprise" or premium version at a cost, and while it would work great for a lot of people to start using linux (willing to cough up cash), only the liveCD is of any use to me.

TrailerTrash
March 22nd, 2006, 05:31 AM
I use it..Its awesome. It has Apt-Get and you will never know its RPM based. It didnot work as well on my laptop as Ubuntu dose. Give it a try! One of the best distros (for a 1 man operation) ive ever used.

weasel fierce
March 22nd, 2006, 07:12 AM
We're replacing my wife's laptop fairly soon, so maybe this is something to look into, to play around with

And it has apt-get too ? Niice :)

nalmeth
March 22nd, 2006, 07:23 AM
It does not use APT in the pure sense. It is a clone of apt, which many distros do, or try to do. It's not the same, but if it helps with familiarity then all the better I guess.
I still would just use Ubuntu

weasel fierce
March 22nd, 2006, 08:24 AM
well, I want to try another distro, once we have a spare computer to experiment with

commodore
March 22nd, 2006, 08:28 AM
It's just a stupid Windows replacement. Ubuntu is a real distro.

tritratroll
March 22nd, 2006, 08:46 AM
:-k :roll: :roll:

Dr. E
April 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM
PCLinuxOs is one of those companies that offers an "enterprise" or premium version at a cost, and while it would work great for a lot of people to start using linux (willing to cough up cash), only the liveCD is of any use to me.

PCLinuxOS is not a company and it is free. There is no "premium version" you have to pay for.

tseliot
April 14th, 2006, 06:20 PM
PCLinux is a wonderful distro: easy to install, easy to use, and it has the codecs enabled by default (the rest is in the repos)

tseliot
April 14th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Some Gentoo user would say:
Ubuntu is just a stupid Windows replacement. Gentoo is a real distro.

Of course not all Gentoo users are think that. It was just an example.

PCLinux has different purposes, that's all. That doesn't make it inferior to Ubuntu. Same thing happens with Gentoo and Ubuntu (which I both like)

aysiu
April 14th, 2006, 06:30 PM
It's just a stupid Windows replacement. Ubuntu is a real distro. What does this mean? What makes something a "real" distro?

zubrug
April 14th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Try them all, it is fun! Pclinux is great for first timers, you will end up with the one that is right for you. Partition and go nuts, you will learn soooo much by experimenting with all the distro's.

Lunixfanboy
April 15th, 2006, 04:23 AM
PCLOS is done by Texstar with support from the plf repositories. Texstar used to do a bangup job getting KDE packages ready for Mandrake before Mandrake did, and also had other items that Mandrake didn't do. Got to the point he felt they were taking advantage of him, so he split and came up with PCLOS, all the fineness of the texstar tweaks to KDE on a current Mandrake/Mandriva core. Only one flavor of PCLOS (freebie) but donations are always welcome.