PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Math for programming

aloprot
February 23rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hey, I want to learn math from scratch and go to all the things. This subject has always interested me but never had the chance before to study all the things back when I was a highschooler, are there any online resources for learning math?
If so, please help me and post them. Thanks!

ratcheer
February 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
There are more resources for math than you can shake a stick at.

I have always gotten a lot out of http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ There is also a lot of info in good old Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics

But, as I said, tons of stuff is available. Just Google for "mathematics".

Tim

Queue29
February 23rd, 2010, 11:55 PM
Discrete mathematics and combinatorics.

GregBrannon
February 24th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Don't mean to sound sarcastic (though I know it does anyway), but how can you learn math from scratch? Don't you know any math now?

Or do you mean that you'd like to learn or relearn subjects that are typically taught in Jr. High or High School that you either didn't learn well or completely passed on? Which subjects do you feel you need to to learn?

lisati
February 24th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Get basic arithmetic figured out first.

aloprot
March 2nd, 2010, 01:50 AM
You sound sarcastic, I want to re-learn topics that have been presented in Highschool and furbish my math skills since I know only the basic stuff. No algorithms and so on...

ja660k
March 2nd, 2010, 05:01 AM
then your topic name math for programming doesnt really paint the picture of learning high school math,

things like trigonometry, circular function, differentials.. etc.
that were covered in high school math,

dont really have a place in programming (except maybe 3D specialized application)

math for programming is discrete maths (non continuous)
like sets, number theory, matrices, logic. the list goes on.

these topics are not offered in most (im sure there are some) highschools.
this is more university specialized studying.

LKjell
March 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
You sound sarcastic, I want to re-learn topics that have been presented in Highschool and furbish my math skills since I know only the basic stuff. No algorithms and so on...

Never do the same stuff in math that is boring as hell. And if you do not understand it the first time try something else which might explain it better. Of course some stuff are related to, and other stuff builds up on what you have learned. So you can try geometry, analysis, calculus, probabilities etc. Without to have to know what the other do. With basic arithmatic and a good ground on functions/algebra will get you through everything.