PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] some questions

en_mohamed
February 23rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
hello dears
i have 5 ques:
1-i want to know where the installed programs put like mplayer,vlc as in windows there are in program files
2- i want to change the name of my partitions ,when i try to change them the message is shown(Sorry, could not rename "60 GB Hard Disk: DISK1_VOL2" to "hnn": Operation not supported by backend).
3-some sound files when i played them in movi player the file name is shown with strange shape like this(~@#$%#)
4-every once i logg in my system and try to open partitions it needs to authorize and write the pass word ، i want to cancel this authorization
5- the button which control in (upper case &lower case is left control button)i want to change
it to be capsloock, how?
sorry about the long ques.

nothingspecial
February 23rd, 2010, 01:19 PM
1 - Usually /usr/bin or /bin, sometimes /usr/sbin /sbin

2 -
sudo apt-get gparted open it up type your password and change the names. You have to unmount any partition you want to relable first.

3 - Are these normal file name? What are they supposed to be?

4 - Change the ownership of the partitions to your user. Find the full path to each partition in your file browser. It should be something like /media/disk. Then
sudo chown -R username:username /media/disk. Change both usernames to your real username and the path to the actual path.

5 - Sorry, don`t know

en_mohamed
February 23rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
1 - Usually /usr/bin or /bin, sometimes /usr/sbin /sbin

2 -
sudo apt-get gparted open it up type your password and change the names. You have to unmount any partition you want to relable first.

3 - Are these normal file name? What are they supposed to be?

4 - Change the ownership of the partitions to your user. Find the full path to each partition in your file browser. It should be something like /media/disk. Then
sudo chown -R username:username /media/disk. Change both usernames to your real username and the path to the actual path.

5 - Sorry, don`t know
thank you very much mr nothingspecial:P

en_mohamed
February 23rd, 2010, 04:48 PM

sorry i did not understand this thing ,i hope you understand me this line in terminal

en_mohamed
February 23rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
hello dears
again i want from us to reply about the last three question

nothingspecial
February 23rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
When you have mounted your partitions they will exist somewhere within the file system. Usually in /media.

You want to change the ownership of those drives to you. The command to do this is chown (change owner)

As you don`t own them you have to do this as root - sudo

-R means to change every folder and file contained within the folder you are changing ownership of

username:username makes the folder owned by the specified user:group (yes you have a group too)

You need to find out where your partitions are mounted. If you have already renamed them then they should be at /media/whatever_you_called_them.

Assuming your username is mohamed, the command in a terminal would be

sudo chown -R mohamed:mohamed /media/new_name_of_partition

I hope this explains it more clearly although I can understand if this has made it worse.