PDA

View Full Version : So, I was wondering...

TitanusEramius
February 23rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
On my pretty much "out of the box" Ubuntu 9.10 I ran into something a little funny and was wondering what you all are doing about it.

I love to watch full HD movies on my machine and vertical synchronizing (v-sync) have been on for standard always or else you can clearly see the picture is being split up whenever the movie pans to the left or the right.

Now, I only used Ubuntu for six month but I am well-aware of how Linux and the open source community works and I am very VERY happy for this, in fact, I can't imagine a world without Linux, Ubuntu and open source. What I mean to say here is that to my best knowledge v-sync can't be activated when compiz or any other desktop effects are on, and therefore you have to choose between v-sync and effects. Please note my comment about best knowledge, should I be wrong about this in some way, I would be a happy man and a sorry man. Happy for being able to use v-sync and compiz together, sorry for starting this thread.

The point in all of this is actually simple, I was wondering how you all work around this.

Do you leave v-sync (de)activated?
Do you even care this ain't working (or don't you know)?
Don't you use Ubuntu (or your machine) for movies?
Or something fourth maybe?

NightwishFan
February 23rd, 2010, 11:40 AM
I can never seem to stop video tearing Vsync or not. There is a Vsync option built into Compiz. You can find it in the CompizConfig Settings Manager. It is not my issue though for I use Metacity.

TitanusEramius
February 23rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
Metacity looks like a good alternative for my laptop, thanks for the advice.
Edit: Metacity is of course already running on my laptop, I didn't realize the difference here.

You are right about v-sync in compiz but the tearing is much worse if compiz is activated. I found plenty of documentation on this (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/212587) but none of it seems to be working for me. And then I've got curious :)

3rdalbum
February 23rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
Compiz and intensive video playback don't mix. If you're playing Full-HD video files you really need to be using Metacity... preferably with compositing turned off.