PDA

View Full Version : 100 beaner celebration

isee
February 23rd, 2010, 05:37 AM
Can i just say I reached the 100 bean mile-mark and I wanna celebrate?

JiuJitsu500
February 23rd, 2010, 05:50 AM
totally :)

cd ~/celebrate

sudo -f celebration

:) lol

schauerlich
February 23rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
I'd inigo montoya you, but that didn't go over well last time... needless to say, I don't think "beaner" is the word you want to use here.

Frak
February 23rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
I'd inigo montoya you, but that didn't go over well last time... needless to say, I don't think "beaner" is the word you want to use here.
Yeah, first time I saw this I was like "Wait, what?" 100 beaner celebration means something WAY different in my country.

Pinoy915
February 24th, 2010, 12:58 AM
:lolflag: Same here. I live near the border so I was very confused from reading the title.

NightwishFan
February 24th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Brew some coffee. http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/fasticon/coffee-break/48/coffee-cup-icon.png

Frak
February 24th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Brew some coffee. http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/fasticon/coffee-break/48/coffee-cup-icon.png
That's some hot(link) coffee right thar.

isee
February 24th, 2010, 06:46 AM
:confused: Whoops! In my defence, where I am beaner has no meaning that I know of. I thought I just made it up. I could imagine a baseball pitcher getting a nickname "Beaner" or something like that...

Cheers!

user1397
February 24th, 2010, 06:51 AM
yup, at least in the USA 'beaner' is a derogatory word for hispanic people, especially those that are undocumented

mkendall
February 24th, 2010, 07:15 AM
yup, at least in the USA 'beaner' is a derogatory word for hispanic people, especially those that are undocumented

Or someone from Beantown (Boston, MA). Or, as implied above, a baseball pitcher who punishes batters who crowd the plate. Or merely a blow to the head ("That was quite a blow to the old bean. Haven't seen a beaner like that in many a year.")

The term "beaner" has been in use long before I ever heard of Carlos Mencina and I plan to continue using the colloquialism in the manner(s) that I've been using it for the past 40+ years. If ever I feel the need to use a derogatory term for an Hispanic person I've plenty of other words that are far more insulting than referencing their diet.

@OP: Congrats. As you can see from my bean count, you are a better board member than I am.

nmccrina
February 24th, 2010, 08:27 AM
:confused: Whoops! In my defence, where I am beaner has no meaning that I know of. I thought I just made it up. I could imagine a baseball pitcher getting a nickname "Beaner" or something like that...

Cheers!

Don't feel bad, I'm from the (albeit Eastern) US and I hadn't heard of this either. :)

NightwishFan
February 24th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I do not accept such derogatory terms as actual words. I understood what you meant when you posted.

gymophett
February 24th, 2010, 09:17 AM
The title. Lol.

WHOO HOOOOOOO!

Okay. I officially celebrated. ;)

EDIT: Like everyone else said, don't feel bad. It's not like you knew.

Khakilang
February 24th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Jack and the beanstalk that grew so high it take you to heaven.

ElSlunko
February 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I had beans for dinner. They were great. Oh yeah, I'm a "beaner".

bunburya
February 24th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Exactly what determines one's bean count, is it a straight posts/x relationship or what?

NightwishFan
February 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I think it is one bean for every post in the support forums, not for any in the Cafe.