PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Samba Help

snake_eyes_775
February 23rd, 2010, 03:45 AM
Hi Guys, I have a samba server running 9.04 jaunty joined to a Windows AD domain. I need to set it up so that only members of the Windows groups have permissions to the shared samba directories

my domain is it.domain.com and my domain controller is called win2ks
my ubuntu machine is linux1.it.domain.com

Users can authenticate as IT\username but I can't access my samba shares from a windows box, and I am completely lost in what should be in my smb.conf

I have set to different security modes and it will work, but in that case, anyone can access them.

[global]
workgroup = IT
realm = DOMAIN.COM
security = ADS

[admshare]
comment = Linux Server Share for Admin Group
path = /var/custom/shared/admin
browsable = yes
create mask = 0755
writable = yes
guest ok = yesIf anyone has any experience with setting up samba permissions on a domain, please help me out http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Thanks in advance!

joberly
February 23rd, 2010, 03:57 AM
What is the group name of the users you want access? You should be able to utilize the valid users parameter with groups.

Under your admshare try putting:

valid users = @groupname

snake_eyes_775
February 23rd, 2010, 04:29 AM
I tried with the group, and I tried accessing the server at \\serverip\admshare

A dialog box pops up and says I don't have permissions to view that network resource.

joberly
February 23rd, 2010, 04:36 AM
I would have a look here if you haven't already. Samba_&_Active_Directory (http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Active_Directory).

Hopefully will shed some light on the situation, and give us some feedback as well!

snake_eyes_775
February 23rd, 2010, 04:39 AM
I used likewise-open to join to the domain, everything works fine for seeing AD users and groups, just the permissions seem to be off, I think it must have to do with the smb.conf

snake_eyes_775
February 23rd, 2010, 04:59 AM
If I set my smb.conf to 'security = share' I can go to \\serverip\ and it will list out all of the shares I have and it works just fine. but if I set it to 'security = ADS' it says the network path was not found, has anyone ever set this up before?