PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dual boot vista question

deepyogi
February 23rd, 2010, 03:39 AM
i may be well asked but i want to just make sure am doing it right. i have vista installed. tp install ubuntu with it do i have to create a partition first and then format (if yes what kind of partion you need to use) or i can just insert my bootable cd. In this link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot)it says
Proceed with installation until you are asked this question: "How do you want to partition the disk ?".
Automatic partition resizing
Manual partitioning
does it mean i don't have to partition hard drive with windows installed? i can just go ahead and ubuntu cd will do that for me?

byStanderone
February 23rd, 2010, 04:39 AM
...for one, haven't made an auto install with ubuntu, the auto-install may resize your vista partition and you'd have problems with it later on. would be better to resize your vista partition using vista itself..before doing the final repartitioning with ubuntu and finally installing it...i go for manual.

Mark Phelps
February 23rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
Unless you have a Vista Installation DVD, don't use the Ubuntu installer to resize the Vista partition; use the Vista Disk Management utility instead.

Then leave the free space alone and select that when installing Ubuntu. It will create and format the proper partitions for you.