PDA

View Full Version : If Linux became illegal

litemirrors
February 23rd, 2010, 02:44 AM
If you were suddenly told Linux was now ruled to be illegal due to infringing on Microsoft's patents (something there was no ability to code around without breaking the kernal itself) would you still continue to use it? I'm curious because I feel at some point Microsoft will try to bring Linux to it's knees and have it ruled illegal. Maybe that's my paranoia though. But either way I'm very interested to know if you'd use it if this happened.

Also do you think there's any reason someone can't design a completely new OS with no relation to the current ones and that is entirely new?

Tibuda
February 23rd, 2010, 02:48 AM
you are right, that's paranoia.

Woolio1
February 23rd, 2010, 02:50 AM
If you were suddenly told Linux was now ruled to be illegal due to infringing on Microsoft's patents (something there was no ability to code around without breaking the kernal itself) would you still continue to use it? I'm curious because I feel at some point Microsoft will try to bring Linux to it's knees and have it ruled illegal. Maybe that's my paranoia though. But either way I'm very interested to know if you'd use it if this happened.

Also do you think there's any reason someone can't design a completely new OS with no relation to the current ones and that is entirely new?

If you look, everything that Microsoft uses, window managers, system effects, even the Registry itself, was all licensed before under a GNU/GPL license. Therefore, if those were actually patented before, Microsoft could be sued for using them. They can't, however, because software patents weren't mainstream back then.

Linux is 100% legal, 100% free, and will always remain as such.

RiceMonster
February 23rd, 2010, 02:51 AM
Since most of the distros would shut down, I'd go over to BSD or just use Windows.

Not going to happen anyway. You are indeed paranoid.

Kai69
February 23rd, 2010, 02:52 AM
I would still use it :P
BTW why cant apple just bring out an os that works on any pc then we would see real competition in the market place \\:D/

ndefontenay
February 23rd, 2010, 02:53 AM
Europe is largely pro linux. (French police switched recently to 100% linux, spanish universities too)

China, Taiwan, Europe to mention a few all have a policy of favoring linux for government usage.

If such a ruling occurred in the US, I think over countries in the world would simply give the finger to it. And I think a ruling like that will never happen in Europe. It's against their interest.

crlang13

Things will always be similar - but there is a difference between outright stealing and similarities. There have been similar discussions on Linux stealing from Windows, Windows stealing from Linux, etc etc. Someone always makes the point that a Toyota has four wheels and an engine, and so does a Mercedes - but neither is stealing. There are just some things that make an OS an OS and a GUI a GUI.

And there are many ways of going about creating the same thing. Look at the myriad of internet browsers, their core feature is identical, but they go about it in different ways.

Tibuda
If you look, everything that Microsoft uses, window managers, system effects, even the Registry itself, was all licensed before under a GNU/GPL license.
source?

FuturePilot
Not going to happen anyway.

Especially not going to happen because of the reason stated.

gn2
February 23rd, 2010, 02:56 AM
If i was illegal I would continue to use it.

Unjust laws must be challenged.

blueshiftoverwatch
February 23rd, 2010, 02:58 AM
It's not so much the issue of designing a new OS as much as it is, even if the most amazing OS ever created was released tomorrow. Nobody would use it because it would have so many hardware and software compatibility issues that nobody would be able to run it.

Also, Linux has been out for over 20 years. Even with millions of people looking at the code to add more functions and fix bugs it's percentage of desktop market penetration is in the lower single digits. A new OS (like Haiku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_%28operating_system%29)) doesn't stand a chance. I think that Windows, Macintosh (heavily modified Unix), and Unix-like OS's will stomp out any possibility of a new OS's entering the market and gaining any sort of serious following beyond that of hobbyists toying around. Just like I doubt that we'll ever see the day when a non-x86 based architecture will become mainstream in the desktop market.

Kai69
February 23rd, 2010, 03:00 AM
If i was illegal I would continue to use it.

Unjust laws must be challenged.

I agree

crlang13
February 23rd, 2010, 03:03 AM
I agree

+1 again.

They're having enough trouble policing illegal music and movie downloads.

An "illegal" operating system could be coded to be nearly undetectable.

blueshiftoverwatch
February 23rd, 2010, 03:07 AM
+1 again.

They're having enough trouble policing illegal music and movie downloads.

An "illegal" operating system could be coded to be nearly undetectable.
But if the OS was illegal than people would have to develop it in secret instead of doing it out in the open. This might not be such a problem for individual programmers writing away lines code in their basements. But, much of modern Linux is developed by companies who wouldn't be able to skirt around the law as easily as individual people and would probably have to close up shop.

chillicampari
February 23rd, 2010, 03:19 AM
I would worry less about Microsoft and more about someone on the home team going wacky (like the SCO Group did).

gymophett
February 23rd, 2010, 03:28 AM
Linux won't become illegal.
But if it were, I'd be one big criminal.
Or I'd just move to BSD.

MSich
February 23rd, 2010, 03:30 AM
I see Microsoft going open source in the far distant future, in order to control it and capitalize on it in some way. Probably through the enterprise products.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 23rd, 2010, 03:32 AM
If Linux became illegal, I wouldn't think that it was the end of the world. I have been using computers long before Microsoft, Macintosh, or Linux existed. I would find an alternative. There have always been alternatives. Most people just don't know about them.

Tibuda
February 23rd, 2010, 03:33 AM
I see Microsoft going open source in the far distant future, in order to control it and capitalize on it in some way. Probably through the enterprise products.

MS already have some open source projects, but I don't think they will open their main products like Windows and Office.

Kai69
February 23rd, 2010, 03:33 AM
But if the OS was illegal than people would have to develop it in secret instead of doing it out in the open. This might not be such a problem for individual programmers writing away lines code in their basements. But, much of modern Linux is developed by companies who wouldn't be able to skirt around the law as easily as individual people and would probably have to close up shop.

Then again I wonder how many Microsoft programmers leave work go into their basement and work on a linux program just for fun :lol:

NightwishFan
February 23rd, 2010, 03:37 AM
I think I would use Debian Hurd or BSD when it became stable. I like Linux and some of its developers though so I would be a bit angry. (And really boycott Microsoft rather than coexist, I would join FSF campaigns).

MasterNetra
February 23rd, 2010, 03:38 AM
Linux will never be illegal. Why because I said so! :p

ETbluez
February 23rd, 2010, 03:47 AM
I would use the so called illegal version.
but it would give me the blues.
so i'd sing this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hgGj8kbuRk

PupSpark
February 23rd, 2010, 04:33 AM
I would use the so called illegal version.
but it would give me the blues.
so i'd sing this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hgGj8kbuRk

I'd be playing this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKrC8HojWOU) While pillaging Microsoft, of course.

MaxIBoy
February 23rd, 2010, 04:53 AM
Interesting question, but what if pants became illegal? (It's every bit as likely and deserves equal consideration.)

Lightstar
February 23rd, 2010, 05:58 AM
I would rather play with a rock than be stuck on windows 100% of the time.
Rocks are more stable.

Interesting question, but what if pants became illegal? (It's every bit as likely and deserves equal consideration.)

I would not mind a world without pants.

MaxIBoy
February 23rd, 2010, 06:24 AM
I would not mind a world without pants.I'm with you there. I'd go around in a kilt all the time.

Lightstar
February 23rd, 2010, 06:28 AM
I'm with you there. I'd go around in a kilt all the time.

Haha that's what I had in mind, but I did not type it because it would have been too clean of me :P

Kilts are pretty cool, too bad it's always so windy where I'm at.

Frak
February 23rd, 2010, 06:45 AM
If it became illegal I will burn down Microsoft's Headquarters.All Problems Solved.
Go-Go-Gadget Arson?

d3v1150m471c
February 23rd, 2010, 06:48 AM
If linux became illegal then I'd be a criminal.

MooPi
February 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
The US federal government would step in and proclaim Linux to big to fail. Can you imagine all the servers that would have to be reconfigured, ARGHHHHHHH ](*,)

Khakilang
February 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
I will go to BSD or Open Solarice if that happen. I don't mind adding this to my experience.

MaxIBoy
February 23rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Haha that's what I had in mind, but I did not type it because it would have been too clean of me :P

Kilts are pretty cool, too bad it's always so windy where I'm at.
Just tack on some fishing weights, and *bam* problem solved.

bunburya
February 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Not going to happen, ever, but strictly hypothetically if it was deemed illegal I would continue to use it. It'd be kinda like downloading music or drinking before you reach legal age. One of those laws that people don't really take too seriously.

xir_
February 23rd, 2010, 06:06 PM
I'd look at the news that it was now illegal in the states. Shrug and continue to use ubuntu in the free world.

And over time open source development would continue to grow in Europe as the developing markets take advantage of a more home grown product, which is higher quality.

Seriously if America went down that route it would barely affect canonical as its based in the Isle of Wight and London primarily.

bunburya
February 23rd, 2010, 06:31 PM
I'd look at the news that it was now illegal in the states. Shrug and continue to use ubuntu in the free world.

And over time open source development would continue to grow in Europe as the developing markets take advantage of a more home grown product, which is higher quality.

Seriously if America went down that route it would barely affect canonical as its based in the Isle of Wight and London primarily.
It would also be a great opportunity for Europe to become the real home of OSS. By taking a more open source-friendly approach.

KegHead
February 23rd, 2010, 06:34 PM
yo,

i'd use linux no matter what!!!

KegHead

chucky chuckaluck
February 23rd, 2010, 06:35 PM
i'd go back to winME and report all of you.

slooksterpsv
February 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
If Linux became illegal due to Microsoft, I would stop purchasing Microsoft products - even games that I love on M$ Windoze - and use Linux non-stop. If all distros were banned, I would probably go to OpenSolaris or FreeBSD (much to my dismay). I would boycott Microsoft 100%.

Again, it's all paranoia, I really doubt Linux will become illegal.

Lightstar
February 23rd, 2010, 06:42 PM
Just tack on some fishing weights, and *bam* problem solved.

Awesome, you are my hero.

slooksterpsv
February 23rd, 2010, 06:59 PM
Cause of all this discussion I'm running Ubuntu Virtualized.

A couple of questions really quickly though: Do we know what patents were infringed on?
Why hasn't ReactOS been sued for making an OS that does run Win32 applications, even though their code was audited and modified so it's not the same and Windows?
Why is it when you do a search for Linux Illegal, idiots thing Linus Travolds was a spy operative for the Soviet Russia and people post blogs stating anyone who uses linux is a hacker?
Why are there so many idiots in the world?

Meh, people are just people and want something to blame - Microsoft says lets blame Linux, Apple says lets blame Microsoft, what does Linux say? Let me get back to coding and the true believers in FOSS.

NoaHall
February 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Cause of all this discussion I'm running Ubuntu Virtualized.

A couple of questions really quickly though: Do we know what patents were infringed on?
Why hasn't ReactOS been sued for making an OS that does run Win32 applications, even though their code was audited and modified so it's not the same and Windows?
Why is it when you do a search for Linux Illegal, idiots thing Linus Travolds was a spy operative for the Soviet Russia and people post blogs stating anyone who uses linux is a hacker?
Why are there so many idiots in the world?

Meh, people are just people and want something to blame - Microsoft says lets blame Linux, Apple says lets blame Microsoft, what does Linux say? Let me get back to coding and the true believers in FOSS.

Linux is not illegal.

edmondt
February 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
BTW why cant apple just bring out an os that works on any pc then we would see real competition in the market place \\:D/

I think Apple is working on this... with the iPad, they are one step closer to expanding their AppStore and the gap between Mobile device and their Desktop OS.

but mind you, Apple's main business model is in hardware, and Microsoft is software.

donkyhotay
February 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
I agree that it is unlikely linux would ever be 'outlawed' and that theory is complete paranoia. However as a favorite saying of mine goes... Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. I mean if you read the halloween documents (http://catb.org/~esr/halloween/) you'll see that MS would love to kill FOSS/linux but they can't... yet. If it did happen I think it would end up being something like how USA *still* doesn't use the metric system. The rest of the world would go on it's way using international FOSS standards while the USA remains in the dark ages using proprietary software thats incompatible with the rest of the world while we continue using inches, yards, miles, gallons, pounds, and destroy $320 million space probes by measuring pound forces rather then newtons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter#The_metric.2Fimperial_mix-up). BTW I do live in the USA and think our continuing usage of imperial measurements is outright ridiculous in today's world. Personally I would either continue using linux or possibly migrate to some other FOSS OS that hasn't been outlawed (BSD, plan9, BeOS, etc.)

pricetech
February 23rd, 2010, 08:32 PM
i'd go back to winME and report all of you.

You're evil. Stupid, but evil.

Just kidding.

Firestem4
February 23rd, 2010, 09:46 PM
You would assume that due to the awesome nature of the Linux Kernel and its many distributions, any infringing code would be stripped out quicker than they can file a lawsuit (if such were to happen.) That is always the contingency plan I hear in the background of all this talk about linux vs microsoft patent and copyright issues.

NightwishFan
February 23rd, 2010, 10:46 PM
Microsoft would not go as far as to shut down Linux. It would just sue businesses for royalties from its use. Then Windows Server would suddenly become a monolithic kernel.

scottuss
February 23rd, 2010, 10:59 PM
Microsoft ain't got anything on Linux, they love to use that argument to scare people but there's never going to be anything that we can't get around.

If it does happen, I'll happily be a Linux Outlaw :D

Or use BSD.... either way... maybe both

motorcity909
February 23rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
Then again, they could always try a different method to discourage open source usage -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/feb/23/opensource-intellectual-property

"an influential lobby group is asking the US government to basically consider open source as the equivalent of piracy - or even worse"

Kai69
February 23rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
I agree that it is unlikely linux would ever be 'outlawed' and that theory is complete paranoia. However as a favorite saying of mine goes... Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. I mean if you read the halloween documents (http://catb.org/%7Eesr/halloween/) you'll see that MS would love to kill FOSS/linux but they can't... yet. If it did happen I think it would end up being something like how USA *still* doesn't use the metric system. The rest of the world would go on it's way using international FOSS standards while the USA remains in the dark ages using proprietary software thats incompatible with the rest of the world while we continue using inches, yards, miles, gallons, pounds, and destroy $320 million space probes by measuring pound forces rather then newtons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter#The_metric.2Fimperial_mix-up). BTW I do live in the USA and think our continuing usage of imperial measurements is outright ridiculous in today's world. Personally I would either continue using linux or possibly migrate to some other FOSS OS that hasn't been outlawed (BSD, plan9, BeOS, etc.)

LOL I still have a few AF Snap-on spanners last used in 1986 if you want them other than these my toolbox is Metric even if it is all Snap-on and MAC Tools.:tongue:

The Toxic Mite
February 23rd, 2010, 11:28 PM
If Linux became illegal then I'd switch to BSD. ;)

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM
MS already have some open source projects, but I don't think they will open their main products like Windows and Office.

Of course they will not take Windows and Office Open Source; because, someone would fork a WGA, WAT (new replacement for WGA, I laughed when I pronounced the acronym), and DRM free version that would kill their market share. :D

Ric_NYC
February 24th, 2010, 12:08 AM
if linux became illegal then i'd switch to bsd. ;)

+1

murderslastcrow
February 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I would start an armed revolution with using guerrilla warfare to defend open source and force the patents out of Steve Ballmer's slimy fists. D:<

Or I could just destroy all records of the supposed patents, since they were probably fabricated in the first place.

I think Microsoft should be sued for public defamation.

blueshiftoverwatch
February 24th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Even if the code was illegal, I doubt they'd go after them because. It's such a small project that they probably don't take them as anywhere near a serious threat.

Tibuda
February 24th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I would start an armed revolution with using guerrilla warfare to defend open source and force the patents out of Steve Ballmer's slimy fists. D:<

Or I could just destroy all records of the supposed patents, since they were probably fabricated in the first place.

I think Microsoft should be sued for public defamation.

Guerrilla?

NightwishFan
February 24th, 2010, 01:03 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_warfare

Tibuda
February 24th, 2010, 01:08 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_warfare

I know what it means. I'm just... facepalming.

Kai69
February 24th, 2010, 01:11 AM
If linux became illegal start using React OS :P

NightwishFan
February 24th, 2010, 01:14 AM
React OS is actually quite good... when virtualized.

msrinath80
February 24th, 2010, 01:28 AM

Because the geniuses in that camp are hell bent on ensuring maximum control over their users. Allowing them to control the hardware that goes into the Macbook* helps ensure that they are focused on application development on a fixed base. That means, ideally speaking, one would have lower bugs as the codebase gets refined more and more for the same hardware. The result, stability. Now that alone isn't going to get them revenue. So what they do is entice (or at least try to entice) more and more users by making the Macbook* look like a work of art. Typical sales strategy. Nothing new.

So then the bigger question is why? Why haven't the majority of the computer user base moved to Mac? Why is it still clinging on to a fraction of the total market share since the last decade?? One option to realize this, is to find a way to reduce operating costs and maintain quality. Not sure how easy of a problem that is? The other *major* hurdle is overcoming human nature. As human beings, we prefer choice, we prefer freedom, we prefer change among so many other things. So trying a one size fits all approach, as Apple does with their Macbook* line, only brings them closer to a meager fraction of the user base. The result as some people correctly realize is that Apple is trying to streamline you into their way of doing things. Everything that's out there from the Apple camp, the iPod, the iPad, the i*whatever is best used on/with a Mac. Why? These are all attempts by Apple to ensure that many users flock to their camp. But if you ask me, even if they managed to make the Macbook* line more appealing by reducing the price somehow while keeping quality unhindered, they won't succeed. Think about it. How many of us use the same microwave brand, the same washing machine brand, the same car brand??? We are not wired this way by nature. We love to explore unfettered by any external forces. This is exactly why Open source if anything will *totally* survive and flourish, and also why MS Windows is still very much in the game. Face it, Windows does support a plethora of hardware.

I look forward to hearing other opinions :)

Frak
February 24th, 2010, 01:36 AM
React OS is actually quite good... when virtualized.
And not used for anything relatively important.

Kai69
February 24th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Because the geniuses in that camp are hell bent on ensuring maximum control over their users. Allowing them to control the hardware that goes into the Macbook* helps ensure that they are focused on application development on a fixed base. That means, ideally speaking, one would have lower bugs as the codebase gets refined more and more for the same hardware. The result, stability. Now that alone isn't going to get them revenue. So what they do is entice (or at least try to entice) more and more users by making the Macbook* look like a work of art. Typical sales strategy. Nothing wrong.

So then the bigger question is why? Why haven't the majority of the computer user base moved to Mac? Why is it still clinging on to a fraction of the total market share since the last decade?? One way, is to find a way to reduce operating costs and maintain quality. Not sure how easy of a problem that is? The other *major* hurdle is overcoming human nature. As human beings, we prefer choice, we prefer freedom, we prefer change among so many other things. So trying a one size fits all approach, as Apple does with their Macbook* line, only brings them closer to a meager fraction of the user base. The result as some people correctly realize is that Apple is trying to streamline you into their way of doing things. Everything that's out there from the Apple camp, the iPod, the iPad, the i*whatever is best used on/with a Mac. Why? These are all attempts by Apple to ensure that many users flock to their camp. But if you ask me, even if they managed to make the Macbook* line more appealing by reducing the price somehow while keeping quality unhindered, they won't succeed. Think about it. How many of us use the same microwave brand, the same washing machine brand, the same car brand??? We are not wired this way by nature. We love to explore unfettered by any external forces. This is exactly why Open source if anything will *totally* survive and flourish, and also why MS Windows is still very much in the game. Face it, Windows does support a plethora of hardware.

I look forward to hearing other opinions :)

Thats why ive never used or brought Apple products..

n0dix
February 24th, 2010, 05:08 AM
If Linux became illegal... i became a gangster.

Sporkman
February 24th, 2010, 05:17 AM
If Linux became illegal... i became a gangster.

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/officespace_theprinter-thumb.jpg

n0dix
February 24th, 2010, 05:19 AM
http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/officespace_theprinter-thumb.jpg

:twisted: :lolflag: