PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Network driver help needed.

uRock
February 23rd, 2010, 01:45 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a Netbook. The Alternate installer did not recognize the wired NIC and therefore didn't install any drivers to make the wireless nor wired NICs work. What do I have to install to get these to work? Please keep in mind that it will not connect, so the driver needs to be on the disk.

Thanks8-)

Searchers! See post 9 for the fix to this problem!:P

uRock
February 23rd, 2010, 02:12 AM
I have checked Synaptic and it appears that everything is installed for the network. I am stumped here. I have the LAN wired, the router shows that it is connected, but nothing works.

ubunterooster
February 23rd, 2010, 02:36 AM
have you gone to system/administration/hardware drivers?

uRock
February 23rd, 2010, 03:14 AM
Yep. Would I be better off burning another ISO and reinstalling?

ubunterooster
February 23rd, 2010, 03:22 AM
Probably. I would reccomend Moblin or eeebuntu as a netbook OS esp. as these have BETTER (not perfect) drivers for netbooks, esp. for wireless cards. [I've done a lot of distro-hopping]

uRock
February 23rd, 2010, 03:23 AM
Cool, thanx.

ubunterooster
February 23rd, 2010, 04:17 AM
Not a problem. Just tell us which you decide to use and if it fixes the problem.

uRock
February 23rd, 2010, 04:20 AM
Not a problem. Just tell us which you decide to use and if it fixes the problem.

Will do. I booted the Jaunty LiveCD and it did not support the NICs. When I installed, I used the alternate disk for encryption, so I didn't get to check. Not to mention, I had faith it would work.

uRock
February 24th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Jaunty does not seem to support this Netbook's NICs. But, the fix below will get the connection tuned on Karmic.

Entering the following code into a terminal fixed my problem.
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic
I found the fix here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks