PDA

View Full Version : What chipset has better support VIA or nVidia?

MetalMusicAddict
March 8th, 2006, 01:00 PM
In the comming months Im looking to build a new main PC. Im a fan of nVidia and wanted on this next mobo to go with the nForce chipset. Not that VIA ones have been bad, I just wanna try nForce. :)

So. Are there any pro/cons to going to a nVidia mobo? How are their linux drivers? Does VIA have something comming that will kill nVidia?

Stealth
March 8th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Nvidia all the way! \\:D/

sapo
March 8th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I ll be always with nvidia, everything just works! :)

my nforce rlz!

Bandit
March 8th, 2006, 03:21 PM
In the comming months Im looking to build a new main PC. Im a fan of nVidia and wanted on this next mobo to go with the nForce chipset. Not that VIA ones have been bad, I just wanna try nForce. :)

So. Are there any pro/cons to going to a nVidia mobo? How are their linux drivers? Does VIA have something comming that will kill nVidia?
I have been using VIA chipsets for about 10 years now. They have always been stable and everything has always worked. Kinda tried and true if you know what I mean. The nVidia nForce chipsets are relitivly new and I havent used any on my own system yet. Most everyone speaks of them well. I can not comment my self without using one first hand so I just recommend if you see something you like. Stop by newegg and see what everyones review/product rating is on that model
Cheers,
Joey

poofyhairguy
March 8th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I had the same question and I went with a VIA chipset. One of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only does everything work, but the drivers are QUALITY. No stability issues or anything, 64 bit mode without a problem.

Its a simple choice- if you are going to go AGP then get a VIA (I had an old AGP card I did not want to throw away). If you want PCI Express, there is not a competitive VIA chipset so get an Nvidia.

mstlyevil
March 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I have used both the Nforce 3 and the Nforce 4 chipsets with Linux and both worked flawlessly out of the box. I think both VIA and Nvidia chipsets are equally stable on Linux but they do offer different choices when it comes to PCI-E, SLI and overclocking. VIA takes a more conservative approach to those three things where Nvidia seems to embrace newer technology earlier yet they still manage to make a stable product. I currently use a DFI Infinity Nforce 4 SLI mother board because it is easy to over clock, uses only quality components, gives high performance and is very stable. I hear some ASUS Nforce 4 mother boards have some sound issues. If the mother board uses realtek sound, this should not be a issue. Take a look at what is more important to you and your needs and I do not think you can go wrong with either chipset.

MetalMusicAddict
March 8th, 2006, 11:45 PM
The SLI vs. AGP thing is one Ive been looking at. It seems as though SLI is the way most GFX cards are going. I see more and more of them.

Ive also been wrestling with the hundred million dollar 64-bit question.

I fear going 64-bit because Ubuntu (and other distros I hear) arent there yet. Id like to go 64-bit AMD, nForce4 mobo, nVidia GFX, (Thats alot or green. Color that is. :)
) Gb NIC and Serial ATA. Maybe MicroATX. I dont want a full/have size case anymore. But its not concrete. Then just the normal bells and whistles.

What do you guys consider when buying/building a new system?

mstlyevil
March 9th, 2006, 12:10 AM
The SLI vs. AGP thing is one Ive been looking at. It seems as though SLI is the way most GFX cards are going. I see more and more of them.

Ive also been wrestling with the hundred million dollar 64-bit question.

I fear going 64-bit because Ubuntu (and other distros I hear) arent there yet. Id like to go 64-bit AMD, nForce4 mobo, nVidia GFX, (Thats alot or green. Color that is. :)
) Gb NIC and Serial ATA. Maybe MicroATX. I dont want a full/have size case anymore. But its not concrete. Then just the normal bells and whistles.

I personally would go ahead and go 64 bit because it is still compatible with a 32 bit operating system but will be ready when 64 bit Linux finally gets it's act together. I also suggest you get a Nforce4 SLI chipset if you are going Nvidia. If you need more graphics power later you just buy a second video card and increase your graphics performance through SLI. The Gb NIC, SATA and Raid controller are all included in the Nforce 4 chipset. I think it is available in a micro atx version also.

I look at price, performance and upgradeability. I set a budget then I select my components to get the best overall value in performance and upgradeability. The best for all those criteria right now is the 939 socket platform for AMD. I currently have a Athlon 64 3200 but I can upgrade to dual core or any Athlon 64 CPU currently on the market as prices come down.

The second half of this year the Athlon 64 CPU line is moving to the socket M platform. The biggest difference between it and 939 is socket M will support DDR2 RAM. I would not wait because the performance gains for going to DDR2 will probally not be by much and AMD is going to slowly phase it's CPU's into that socket starting with the FX57 and the FX60. It could still be until the end of the year before all the A64 CPU's are fully socket M.

xequence
March 9th, 2006, 12:29 AM
SLI? Whats that?

Is PCI-E already obsolete? O_O

Virogenesis
March 9th, 2006, 12:37 AM
SLI is a technology used by nvidia its based on the old 3dfx idea where you link two graphics cards together its alot of hassle considering how much a SLI set up would cost.

As you need....

A SLI capiable psu
A SLI motherboard
Two of the same make and model graphics card.

ATI have something simular called crossfire this is better you do not need two matching graphics cards.

SLI is two pci-e cards in bridged mode.

MetalMusicAddict
March 9th, 2006, 12:45 AM
I wonder if anyone here uses a dual-SLI setup? If so Id like to see what their xorg looks like. :)

poofyhairguy
March 9th, 2006, 12:54 AM

When I bought one my top consideration was:

1. Motherboard works 100% out of the box.
2. 64 bit Linux support.
3. Not that expensive (besides CPU)
4. Works with 6600 GT AGP that I recently bought

So I went with VIA. A VIA solution will be cheaper than an Nvidia solution of the same quality, it will just lack featues. You have to ask yourself: do I need PCI express?

mstlyevil
March 9th, 2006, 01:22 AM
SLI is a technology used by nvidia its based on the old 3dfx idea where you link two graphics cards together its alot of hassle considering how much a SLI set up would cost.

As you need....

A SLI capiable psu
A SLI motherboard
Two of the same make and model graphics card.

ATI have something simular called crossfire this is better you do not need two matching graphics cards.

SLI is two pci-e cards in bridged mode.

According to Nvidia the newest drivers only require 2 cards of the same model but the manufactuer can now be different. You can use adapters to make any decent psu capable of supporting SLI. Since the OP is building a new computer from the ground up none of these issues are a real problem for him/her.

stoeptegel
March 9th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Don't buy a VIA based motherbord. They were to unstable and have experienced strange bugs in the past. When you've decided to go the AMD road, take nforce, they are hardware spoken better quality IMO.

Bandit
March 9th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Don't buy a VIA based motherbord. They were to unstable and have experienced strange bugs in the past. When you've decided to go the AMD road, take nforce, they are hardware spoken better quality IMO.
Sounds more like a SiS chipset then a VIA. Mind you VIA and ALI are some fo the oldest chipset makers in the business.
You may have got a bad mobo or purchased from a generic motherboard maker.
IMHO,
Joey

In Addition, I am not making my opinion from one mobo. I have purchased about 8 motherboards just for myself in the past 10 years, that doesnt count my freinds and family systems I have put together. Also one of my good freinds runs a PC store and he uses VIA based motherboards and never has ever had any issues with them.

WildTangent
March 9th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I wonder if anyone here uses a dual-SLI setup? If so Id like to see what their xorg looks like. :)
Kassetra does...2 Geforce 7800GTX 512s

-Wild

bjweeks
March 9th, 2006, 02:57 AM

-Wild

wtf why would you need that much power...

Bandit
March 9th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Glad to see I wasnt the only one thinking the same thing :D

MetalMusicAddict
March 9th, 2006, 03:09 AM

-Wild
I gotta see the xorg. :)

Needs it to run Vista. :)

What brands of mobo do you guys buy. I usually just looked at features. Does it matter who if the chipsets are the same?

bjweeks
March 9th, 2006, 03:29 AM
I gotta see the xorg. :)

Needs it to run Vista. :)

What brands of mobo do you guys buy. I usually just looked at features. Does it matter who if the chipsets are the same?

ASUS is the best...

BoyOfDestiny
March 9th, 2006, 03:43 AM
ASUS is the best...

I have a trusty ASUS SK8N nforce3 chipset running Ubuntu Dapper 64.

Bandit
March 9th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Chipsets do matter, even a good mobo manufactor can run a cheap line every now and then to make a quick buck.
Brands I have used and trust.
-Soyo
-Asus
-Tyan
-Shuttle
-Biostar (mATX) <-- just bought two mATX boards. Both with VIA chipsets. Very very nice. No problems. Very stable. Extreamly cheep. Appears Biostar is stepping up. At least on the mATX side of the house.

WildTangent
March 9th, 2006, 05:02 AM
-Biostar (mATX) <-- just bought two mATX boards. Both with VIA chipsets. Very very nice. No problems. Very stable. Extreamly cheep. Appears Biostar is stepping up. At least on the mATX side of the house.
Aye, I have a Biostar mATX board in the rig in my sig (lol!). It has a Via chipset (though I do prefer Nvidia). With the exception of the temperature sensors, it works perfectly.

-Wild

Virogenesis
March 9th, 2006, 05:23 AM
personaly I find ASUS boards over rated nothing really special about them to tell the truth they are just standard they have their name and thats it.

Abit I find do better boards, MSI have some flash boards not sure what they are like but I have a MSI geforce 6600gt and it outperforms the ASUS version and it runs cooler and is less noisy.

The main thing to look out for is if it uses SIS if it does then stay clear.
Nforce and Via chipsets are usually fine.

DFI also do some amazing boards they look great and perform great also don't forget BFG do boards aswell.

mstlyevil
March 9th, 2006, 05:32 AM
personaly I find ASUS boards over rated nothing really special about them to tell the truth they are just standard they have their name and thats it.

Abit I find do better boards, MSI have some flash boards not sure what they are like but I have a MSI geforce 6600gt and it outperforms the ASUS version and it runs cooler and is less noisy.

The main thing to look out for is if it uses SIS if it does then stay clear.
Nforce and Via chipsets are usually fine.

DFI also do some amazing boards they look great and perform great also don't forget BFG do boards aswell.

I decided on a DFI mother board after reading nothing but glowing reviews all across the web. I used to use Asus, Abit, MSI and Gigabyte. I now would not touch a MSI board because several people I know have had major issues with them. Gigabyte and Asus have always done real well by me and Abit was ok but gave me minor problems. I wholeheartedly recommend a DFI Infinity mother board to anyone whether it is a Via Chipset or a Nforce 4 chipset. This board has been one of the best motherboards I have ever had.

WildTangent
March 9th, 2006, 05:36 AM
I decided on a DFI mother board after reading nothing but glowing reviews all across the web. I used to use Asus, Abit, MSI and Gigabyte. I now would not touch a MSI board because several people I know have had major issues with them. Gigabyte and Asus have always done real well by me and Abit was ok but gave me minor problems. I wholeheartedly recommend a DFI Infinity mother board to anyone whether it is a Via Chipset or a Nforce 4 chipset. This board has been one of the best motherboards I have ever had.
My MSI board is nothing but trouble, and I'm not sure if its the board or the chipset, but I'm completely soured on MSI, I will be avoiding them for now on. Asus 4TW!

-Wild

Bandit
March 9th, 2006, 05:52 AM
My MSI board is nothing but trouble, and I'm not sure if its the board or the chipset, but I'm completely soured on MSI, I will be avoiding them for now on. Asus 4TW!

-Wild
My uncle is more tight wadded then I am. He went with two MSI mobos a long time ago. They were complete pain in the arsh and never worked right. Had hell running both Win95 and Win98 on his systems...
EDIT: They was also SiS chipsets.. Which added with the fact the boards were low qulaity.. very flimsy. I ended up hot gluing many of the PS2 and USB ports so they would feel sturdier then plugging items in. Hot glue is our friend....

bonzodog
March 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I run an MSI Platinum K8N NForce 3 Mobo, with on board GBLan, Sound and Networking. I then have an Nvidia 6200GT 256MB AGP card plugged into that, and it all Just Works, is very fast and VERY quiet, as it is using the cool 'n' quiet technology coupled with powernowd in Xubuntu Dapper x86_64, which means that the CPU only runs at 1GHZ when doing non-intensive stuff. I personally don't mind running 64 bit Xubuntu, as I can live without flash and Blackdown Java seems to still handle most java web pages.