PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Forum's fonts in Firefox

forrestcupp
February 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have Firefox set up in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10, both with the option to allow a web page to use its own fonts. So why is it that Ubuntu Forum's fonts look great in Windows, but horrible in Ubuntu?

My other fonts around Gnome look great; it's only in Firefox. It doesn't make sense when they're both set up to use the web site's fonts.

FuturePilot
February 22nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Do you have msttcorefonts installed? I've found website's fonts generally look horrible without msttcorefonts.

Majorix
February 22nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
I don't know why this happens either, but with msttcorefonts package installed the Ubuntu Forums do look good.

forrestcupp
February 22nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
The restricted-extras package is one of the first things I install, and it still looks as horrible as ever.

I can stick up for Ubuntu about a lot of things, but that's one thing that clearly is inferior. I know it's probably not Ubuntu's problem, though. I'd be more inclined to think it's a problem with the Linux version of Firefox.

mcduck
February 22nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
Well, all the font definitions in the forum stylesheet are actually using Microsoft fonts (Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Trebuchet MS) so it's no surprise if the forums look bad without these fonts installed.

The bigger question is why the forums aren't designed to be viewed with fonts that Ubuntu would have by default, or why such fonts aren't even included as alternatives in the CSS styles...

What comes to generic font rendering, that's quite often a question of personal taste. I mean that some pople even prefer the aliased fonts old windows versions had! (Not to mention that unless you have set the correct DPI value in your font settings I'm not even listening what you have to say about how your fonts look, since there's no way how they could be rendered correctly.. .;))

Majorix
February 22nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
Actually I have made a thread about this for the mods/admins a few months ago:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1199157

Not too helpful, is it? :( They should concentrate more on this kind of stuff.

cariboo
February 23rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
Ubuntu-geek, is the only admin that can do maor changes to the forum, and he hasn't been available to much lately due to work pressures.

audiomick
February 23rd, 2010, 12:45 AM
I have Firefox set up in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10, both with the option to allow a web page to use its own fonts. So why is it that Ubuntu Forum's fonts look great in Windows, but horrible in Ubuntu?

My other fonts around Gnome look great; it's only in Firefox. It doesn't make sense when they're both set up to use the web site's fonts.
I'm in with windows at the moment, and the only thing I have noticed is that it is all a bit smaller, but I had put that down to the higher resolution and smaller screen on the laptop.
Now that you mention it, I will have to have a look when I get back home...