PDA

View Full Version : Should ubuntu have a default GRUB splash screen?

dragos240
February 22nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
Really. Many distros now a days have a splash screen, it's very easy to do, and it just makes everything look a little nicer, however ubuntu does not have one, it's really not that hard to do. Even gentoo has a GRUB splash, you just have to un-comment it. This is a feature that ubuntu has been lacking for some time now. Unless ubuntu has got a shiny new GRUB splash screen for lucid, I think there really needs to be a splash on ubuntu.

Tristam Green
February 22nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
It's a polish thing, so it is probably low-priority, or could simply be another volunteer project. However, it would look nice if there were a custom GRUB screen, rather than the default black/white one.

Kdar
February 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
yes. I think it should.

I really like GRUB splash screen from OpenSuse, they always made it look good.

cariboo
February 22nd, 2010, 06:58 PM
There's a thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1371288&highlight=grub+theming) if you want to do it yourself. Lucid is still only alpha2, there's still a couple of months to go, so you never know what might happen.

dizee
February 23rd, 2010, 12:33 AM
It's funny but after a grub update I somehow ended up with a blue Debian GRUB background.

Much nicer than the black on white. :)

Anything would be I suppose.

Simon17
February 23rd, 2010, 01:06 AM
Since you only see grub for 2-3 seconds every time you boot, or not at all if it's set to boot automatically after 0 timeout, I think such a thing is stupid.

Warpnow
February 23rd, 2010, 11:53 PM
I don't use a splash screen as I like to see what's going on while the system boots.

Maybe you should read the thread.

Mmmbopdowedop
February 24th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I don't think they should, say I decided to dual boot to try out Ubuntu, to see how it's going outside of a VM, I always let GRUB set up everything as it's defaulted on the installation medium, i'd hate for them to shove their logo on GRUB so that everytime I switch on my computer it's there, it's like they're branding my computer.

Shibblet
February 24th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Absolutely. It gives the operating system a more professional look.

One of the worst "looking" things about Ubuntu, is seeing recursive text on the screen during bootup.

Make Grub have a professional graphic look to it, then the boot splash screen, and cover up the recursive text in the background. Allow users to hit "ESC" or something, to see the text, if they so choose.