PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu wont run off disk or run properly if i installed

thepspgamer
February 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hey

i am very much a newb to linux, only recently wanting to explore the linux world, so i downloaded openSuSe, tryed to run it off the disk, to get a look at it....(i burned it at 4x on a Verbatim DVD)

it crashed on bootup....just did nothing, so i restarted and tryed again, this time, it booted, but the second i clicked on somthing, i get a square of glitched up graphics on-screen and it crashes again...
so, i thought...hmm, maybe il try installing it, maybe that will fix it
so, after trying to get the thing to install (like the 5th attempt, as it kept crashing, still showing those weird glitched squares), it installed....and crashed on bootup.....again, i restart, and it loads up....and crashes as soon as i click somthing...

at this point, i uninstalled it and gave up, and tryed ubuntu...(again at 4x on a DVD)
all of the same things happened, it just crashes when i try and run it off the disk and when i finally got it installed it just crashes after a few seconds, sometimes with the glitchy squares...

so, i just gave up, and un-installed everything...i am stuck for how to do anything...

i shall go and take some pics of what im getting and shall post them shortly

also, my specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo 4400 @ 2.00ghz
2GB RAM
Geforce 7800gtx

and im running Windows 7

thanks alot, il be back shortly to post pics, i might post a vid on youtube too, to try and help

thanks again :)

added a pic, hope it helps, shows the graphical error im having :S

thanks again

darkod
February 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
When you boot with ubuntu dvd, at the main menu hit F4 for more options. Select Safe Graphics. I'm not sure if that takes you a step back so you can select Try Ubuntu from the menu.
It might be a video driver issue and you should try with safe graphics to see how it goes.

viper250
February 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
try a cd iso (sometimes burning an iso to dvd can be a problem)
if the cd iso loads then the issue is probably the dvd iso errors.
If the dvd drive has a sata interface you may have to change the mode of the drive in the bios. even though it may be a sata drive bios has an ide mode emulation for both hard drive and cd/dvd drives.
but as you stated it loaded after second try and crashed when you clicked on an icon showing video anomolies. this is a kernal panic and is likely caused by the video mode! different settings may need to be tried

thepspgamer
February 22nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
i shall try with CD's tonight, i will buy some while i am at work and see if it makes a difference, also, il try the safe mode on the disk and get back to you

thanks for the help so far guys :)

edit: tryed booting it through the disk with safe graphics on, all i got was a flickering screen when it got to the part where it loads the code to startup, the screen just flickered and from what i could make out, gave me a command like (Ubuntu :$)

when i hit the power button, the screen stopped flickering and said stopping systems NOW!

im stuck on where to go now :S...

thepspgamer
February 23rd, 2010, 09:57 AM
bump...please, i really wanna be able to use linux...