PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Can't Launch GUI

goatwhore
February 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
I'm have much computer experience but am new to Ubuntu.

I typed in sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop and it tells me it's already installed. Good. So it should work. I type sudo/etc/init.d/gdm start and the screen goes blank for 8 seconds three times in a row and then back to the command line. I have also tried gdm start without the path before and it says GDM already running. Aborting!

I have 8.10 and it's a valid disk (no errors).

Can someone help please?

byStanderone
February 22nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
...kindly elavorate a little more for us to have a clearer picture of your install.

goatwhore
February 22nd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Ok I have a Toshiba Satellite P200 laptop with Windows 7 installed. I don't want to wipe 7 off until I am absolutely sure Ubuntu will work for me. What information do you need?

byStanderone
February 23rd, 2010, 02:14 AM
...you've mentioned command line, do i get it right that you are booted in a console? somehow it seems that you've installed the server distro, correct me if am wrong.

goatwhore
February 23rd, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hey I posted the question in a couple other forums and it turns out that after installing Windows 7 on another partition guess what Windows decided to do? So I have no boot loader and 7 is loaded by default.

So what I have been doing is booting from the install CD every time in order to get to my Ubuntu OS and that was why I couldn't start the GUI.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/cant-launch-gui-from-command-line-790825/#post3872853

byStanderone
March 6th, 2010, 07:25 AM
...sorry, haven't gone back to you sooner, i hope you'd got the fix to your ubuntu install. re-read your thread, and it seems you have to re-install grub in the ubuntu partition itself since it was wiped out by the other 'os'.