PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] smb access from applications

zakarra
February 22nd, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hi,

I'm relative newbie in Ubuntu. My problem is that i have a network hd shared in my LAN. I can access it with nautilus but when i want to open a dir from an application i cant access, smb:// doesn't do nothing.

For example, i have a ubuntu server in a vmware machine y shared network folder but i can't open this with vmware player because in open file dialog doesn't appear.

Please help me configuring this.

thanks!

maweki
February 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
The folders are actually mounted to "/home/[username]/.gvfs"

applications should be able to use those folders.

But be aware that some programs don't like it when they are accessing files from or writing to slow devices (like a share over the internet).

zakarra
February 22nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
but the folders are not mounted.

how can i mount network directories?

Morbius1
February 22nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
My problem is that i have a network hd shared in my LAN. I can access it with nautilus but when i want to open a dir from an application i cant access, smb:// doesn't do nothing.The act of accessing the share in Nautilus causes nautilus to mount the share:

maweki
The folders are actually mounted to "/home/[username]/.gvfs"
So it's a two step process:

(1) Access the share from Nautilus
(2) Access the share using your application by going to "/home/[username]/.gvfs"

Jive Turkey
February 22nd, 2010, 11:56 PM
You might find it helpful to use cifs to mount the share. You can tell ubuntu to mount it at bootup every time by putting the proper cifs entry into the /etc/fstab.

You should read this guide:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

If you need clarification on the guide just ask:)

zakarra
February 23rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
You might find it helpful to use cifs to mount the share. You can tell ubuntu to mount it at bootup every time by putting the proper cifs entry into the /etc/fstab.

You should read this guide:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

If you need clarification on the guide just ask:)

Thanks to all! specially to you jive turkey, this torial looks like what i need. If i need something more i'll be back.

thanks a lot.