PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation and Upgrade not complete success

dapidc
February 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hi, just want to share my experience this past few days.

I tried to install 9.10 to my old notebook. It is a Toshiba Satellite 1135-S155, with Celeron proc and 512 MB RAM (still DDR). I already got Desktop installation CD, booting to the CD, but when I choose the top two menus (try ubuntu and install ubuntu) the screen only went blank. No activity from hard drive and CD ROM. I tought it was just slow, but keep it running for minutes I still got nothing.

So, I tried to use older version 8.10. The first menu was okay, so I continue with the second menu to install it. All went well.

I decided to get ubuntu updated to 9.04 using alternate CD instead. Upgrade went well, despite the time required to get it completed (more than 1.5 hours). When rebooting for the first time, the problem repeat again. It was stuck just when grub is loading the kernel. Without error, only stuck, complete silent. Hard drive idle, CD ROM not spinning.

So I decided to reboot and using esc enter Grub menu and use previous kernel (I did not know if ubuntu keep previous kernel or not, so I just gambling and I was fortunate it is still there). Ubuntu loaded perfectly using previous kernel (2.6.27-7).

I am just wondering, why the 2.6.28-11 kernel was not loading. I am lucky, I had previous Linux experience, that I know how to load previous kernel or do recovery when needed. How about anyone else who just want to know Ubuntu? They must have guess ubuntu can not be used on their machine, when they encounter problems above.

Now, I am trying to upgrade again to 9.10 (how unfortunate of me, having desktop installation CD, but need to download two alternate CD to upgrade from 8.10). It is still running (about 37 minutes remaining). I hope the upgrade can complete successfully and I can use Ubuntu after upgrade.

dapidc
February 22nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
Well, I am unfortunate. Upgrade finish. I can not boot to newest kernel. I have to use the kernel from 8.10.

And in GUI mode no mouse support. I can use keyboard shortcut but for very limited programs (not all supported).

Any help to avoid reinstallation is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi, just want to share my experience this past few days.

Now, I am trying to upgrade again to 9.10 (how unfortunate of me, having desktop installation CD, but need to download two alternate CD to upgrade from 8.10). It is still running (about 37 minutes remaining). I hope the upgrade can complete successfully and I can use Ubuntu after upgrade.