PDA

View Full Version : What causes monitors to get wobbly wiggly screens?

ankspo71
February 22nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
Hi everyone,
Can someone tell me what makes monitors start getting wavey at different random times of the day? Sometimes the air conditioner or microwave triggers it but it takes a while for it to stop afterwards. Sometimes it happens without reason too. Could it be too low of a powersupply, or overloaded electric outlets, or maybe cheap wiring in every apartment I rent? (lol) It happens with every computer I have owned. Launching graphic intensive games doesn't trigger it, but it's hard to play the games if it is already happening. Currently I have two desktop computers side by side and they get effected equally... usually. This happens on every refresh rate too.
Thanks.

madnessjack
February 22nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Do you know what type of TVs/monitors they are? Are they CRT, TFT or LCD? Flat screen or biiiig?

ankspo71
February 22nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
They are both the bulky CRT type of monitors.
http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presario-FS740-Multimedia-Monitor/dp/B000055XZA
With an intergrated Nvidia 6200 128mb(256shared)
and I think this is the other...
http://www.nextag.com/Emachines-EVIEW17F3-17-Monitor-61766621/prices-html
with a MSI 512mb Nvidia 8400 GS
Would the problem go away if I got LCDs?

Thanks for the reply.

Tristam Green
February 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
loose connections to VGA or DVI cable
EM Interference, most likely caused by proximity to the AC unit and/or Microwave.
Gauss effect - there should be a Degauss setting on the monitor
Solar Flares?
Age?

ankspo71
February 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hi,
Age could be a factor now, but it's been going on a long time. It also happened with my past computers, and even friends computers in their homes. I always thought of it as something normal that happens in electronics, but tonight it got really irritating. I used to have the computers in their own room (which has their own circuit breaker) in this apartment, but that didn't help. So I think it's EM Interference like you said. The walls are thin here too. I can hear people on the other side. I double checked all of the cables and they are still snug.
Thanks for the help

CharlesA
February 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Most likely it's EMI. Are there any speakers or similar things near the monitors?

ankspo71
February 22nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
Yes, both computers have their own desktop speakers next to the monitors, and the one I use now has a small subwoofer on the floor. This has given me some ideas to try some rearranging.

ssj6akshat
February 22nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
it is definitely Faulty power supply.my power supply cable was damaged so i opened the monitor and re-soldered it

Tristam Green
February 22nd, 2010, 03:17 PM
Yes, both computers have their own desktop speakers next to the monitors, and the one I use now has a small subwoofer on the floor. This has given me some ideas to try some rearranging.

I doubt that small PC speakers are powerful enough to interfere. remember that a lot of CRT monitors actually had speakers mounted to them, let alone dealt with having small speakers on the desk near them. I'd be worried if you had some large stereo speakers (like Polk Audio Monitors or something) nearby.

it is definitely Faulty power supply.my power supply cable was damaged so i opened the monitor and re-soldered it

Can't say "definitely" unless you *know* it to be true.

hhh
February 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
My CRT always distorts if my cellphone goes off near it.

chucky chuckaluck
February 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
the only times i've come across such was when my power supply was dying, or using compiz.

swoll1980
February 22nd, 2010, 05:47 PM

The PC speakers would have magnetic shielding to prevent such a thing. I know that having a cordless phone base, or a cellular phone near the computer will cause problems like this also.

Woolio1
February 22nd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Your monitor is magnetically charged. It takes a while to wear off... Unless you hit the degauss button. That resets the monitor, so it should be fixed. LCDs and other things don't have that problem, however.

Henry Ericson

Eddie Wilson
February 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
The problem could be a defective filter capacitor in the power supply. There are several possibilities including defective connections on the main circuit board. Lcd monitors are so cheap now I wouldn't spend a lot of money on having them repaired. Good luck.