PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Resolving domains hosted on a local network

esauer
February 22nd, 2010, 12:44 AM
I am running an ubuntu web server that is hosting several domain names. However, I cannot get any machines that are on the same router as the server to resolve the global ip or domain names on pointing to the server. What can I do to change this? I know I could edit my hosts file, however, I would like this to work on my ubuntu laptop, which is often taken to other networks.

dmizer
February 22nd, 2010, 02:06 AM
I am running an ubuntu web server that is hosting several domain names. However, I cannot get any machines that are on the same router as the server to resolve the global ip or domain names on pointing to the server. What can I do to change this? I know I could edit my hosts file, however, I would like this to work on my ubuntu laptop, which is often taken to other networks.

Your best and easiest answer is the hosts file.

Otherwise, you'll need to add a local DNS server. This DNS server should not be hosted on the same machine as your web server.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/dns-server-setup-using-bind-in-ubuntu.html

R.Bucky
February 22nd, 2010, 02:40 AM
Why wouldn't you have DNS on the same box as web services? That seems counter-intuitive.

Depending on how you are pushing your content, CMS or static pages, you would surely need Bind or other DNS internally. I had the same problem with a dozen or so domains where managing with hosts file is impractical, not to mention bad practice.

dmizer
February 22nd, 2010, 04:47 AM
How is managing name resolution considered bad practice in a small LAN situation described by the OP?

In my opinion, the less LAN resources you have running on servers facing the internet, the better.