PDA

View Full Version : Deleted all my kernels

sports fan Matt
February 22nd, 2010, 12:31 AM
So yesterday I decided to clean a few kernels when I deleted ALL of them. I was shocked. I couldn't think it could be done without a reinstall. I reinstalled anyway and all is well with Karmic. What interesting things have ya'll done?

falconindy
February 22nd, 2010, 12:40 AM
This one time, I installed Windows. True story.

P.S. I've been w/o a kernel package installed for about 2 days. It's only an issue if you want to reboot. Reinstallation is rarely the only solution.

MaxIBoy
February 22nd, 2010, 02:22 AM
So yesterday I decided to clean a few kernels when I deleted ALL of them. I was shocked. I couldn't think it could be done without a reinstall. I reinstalled anyway and all is well with Karmic. What interesting things have ya'll done?Couldn't you just boot off a liveCD, chroot into your installation, and apt-get install or compile a new kernel? That's what I would do.

Um, one time I deleted all my initscripts and had to restore from my backups (thus there was a regression of about a half second in my boot time.) Meant to do
sudo rm /etc/rc*.d/*~ but left off the "~" from the end of it.

dragos240
February 22nd, 2010, 02:25 AM
I once gave out a username and password to an SSH server. That ended badly.......

sports fan Matt
February 22nd, 2010, 02:30 AM
At the time If I had thought about it yes. I wasn't think about it though :)

user1397
February 22nd, 2010, 05:10 AM
first time i installed linux i wiped my windows drive and used the entire disk, thereby losing some files (i backed up the most important ones, but still lost some files)

once i chmod'ed my entire /home with 777 permissions...

once i installed arch :popcorn:

#11u-max
February 22nd, 2010, 05:13 AM
I once accidentially all your base

FuturePilot
February 22nd, 2010, 05:13 AM
I accidentally typed "rm" instead of "mv" once twice #-o
That wasn't cool.

chucky chuckaluck
February 22nd, 2010, 05:18 AM
mistake free, here, and lovin' it.

dragos240
February 22nd, 2010, 05:20 AM
first time i installed linux i wiped my windows drive and used the entire disk, thereby losing some files (i backed up the most important ones, but still lost some files)

once i chmod'ed my entire /home with 777 permissions...

once i installed arch :popcorn:
Really? Wow, I did the same thing! But I chmoded root 777. I did this:
chmod -r 777 /

Stupid me.

I've also done rm instead of mv many many times. Every time it was a non-vital conf file. Lucky me. I also accidentally 21mb of rar files.

Jesus_Valdez
February 22nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
Really? Wow, I did the same thing! But I chmoded root 777. I did this:
chmod -r 777 /

Stupid me.

I've also done rm instead of mv many many times. Every time it was a non-vital conf file. Lucky me. I also accidentally 21mb of rar files.
It also happened to me once.

But I was kind of bored so I changed the permissions back using GUI (right click, properties, etc.), that was fun.

toupeiro
February 22nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
I once applied a RHEL update bundle on a server that was 4 bundles behind, so it updated all the software but didn't completely update the kernel to the version in the latest bundle. It did not generate a initrd file, and because mkinitrd was updated to a version outside of the running kernel, it just locked up when I tried to generate one. I really thought I was looking at a complete rebuild..

How I ended up fixing the issue is installing just the desired kernel packages on another server with the same hardware, but not upgrading to that new kernel, then ran mkinitrd on that server and copied the initrd file for that kernel over. Amazingly enough, that worked, and saved me hours of rebuilding a server and reloading applications and data from media and backup tape. This kind of flexibility is much harder to find in windows these days.