PDA

View Full Version : font smoothing idea

daverich
February 21st, 2010, 11:00 PM
I've been pondering the sub-par look of fonts on linux and came up with an idea..

I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to have something like Compiz essentially draw the whole screen 4 times bigger than your monitor, and then scale the whole thing down to fit the screen using a decent scale filter.

I just wonder if it would look better and how much the performance penalty would be (I'm guessing you could make it so that it only scaled/rescaled text somehow).

Just an idea to throw at folks who can do the clever bit :)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

BuffaloX
February 22nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
Ubuntu default font smoothing is very good IMO.
Font smoothing is always a compromise between smoothness and how true it is to the original design.

I think you could simulate what you suggest.
Make a GIMP image with some text in it.
Double the size, and reduce it back again. That should do just about the same thing you suggest.

NovaAesa
February 22nd, 2010, 12:36 AM
What you are suggesting is called super-sampling. It's a fairly naive algorithm for font smoothing. Not that I'm basing this on any knowledge, but I would assume that Ubuntu would already be using a more intelligent algorithm for font smoothing.

hobo14
February 22nd, 2010, 02:26 AM
Fonts looked pretty poor to me on 8.10 until I did some tweaking, but they look great on 9.10 (much better than fonts on XP for example, when the two are placed next to each other)

daverich
February 22nd, 2010, 09:04 AM
ah ok,- supersampling.

I figured it was such a simple idea it must already have been explored.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

siimo
February 22nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Use the Apple patented bytecode interpreter and fonts look crisp. I think its default in Ubuntu too.

madnessjack
February 22nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
Tell you what - have a play around with fonts and font sizes. It makes a lot of difference. The default Windows XP font renders well.