PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't run synaptic, others except from root

cigtoxdoc
February 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Took an emachines T3265 with Win XP home and used 9.04 DVD (from Ubuntu book) to wipe out the Win XP and then install 9,04 over the entire hard drive. I then upgraded to 9.10 using the option on update manager. I gave my normal logon all privileges, but I can use synaptic and other functions such as changing update parameters w/o logging on as root. If attempt same from my logon, PC crashes.

northrup
February 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Do you receive errors when you use the sudo command in your normal logon (i.e. "sudo apt-get install" or "sudo synaptic")? You can try executing Synaptic in the terminal (or using the Run dialog box, although I don't remember the keyboard shortcut right now...), but appending "sudo" to the beginning ("sudo synaptic"). It should prompt you for your password, and afterwards bring up a working Synaptic window.

cigtoxdoc
February 25th, 2010, 06:42 AM
When I try to start a terminal session from within Gnome, I get a white book with no text. Attempts to use synaptic, update manager from my normal user accounts locks up PC. I restarted, logged in as root, did my updates, etc., reset my user account and ticked all boxes (e.g., can administer system) and no improvement. I have two similar PCs also running 9.10 that work fine.

What should be my next steps?

PC is eMachines T3265.

John

cigtoxdoc
February 25th, 2010, 06:45 PM
:KS

SOLVED, but don't know why. If I use Failsafe GNOME, things work correctly.

Display driver is NVIDIA Driver Version: 96.43.13

John