PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is the ubuntu iso download ever updated?

AlanRick
February 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM
I occasionally install ubuntu on usb sticks and wondered if it makes sense downloading the ubuntu iso periodically or whether the karmic download hasn't changed since it was released last year in which case I can stick with my month-old download.

darkod
February 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM
I don't think so. Look here at the bottom of the page and the ISOs are dated 27-Oct-2009.
http://releases.ubuntu.com/karmic/

I think once the official ISO is out, that's it. You depend on the updates for updated software/settings/etc.

amauk
February 21st, 2010, 03:05 PM
afaik it's only the LTS releases that get updates "rolled up" in an updated ISO

blueturtl
February 21st, 2010, 03:27 PM
However... You can use APTonCD (http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/) to download the latest repository updates (and burn them on a separate CD). Then use that CD to directly update an offline system or a system with a slow internet connection.

You will have to have two CDs, but in some cases it might come in handy if you want to have the latest and greatest right in your pocket.

AlanRick
February 21st, 2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks darkod and amauk. That seems to be the answer.

@blueturtl That's a good tip. But I don't think I'll be able to use it when creating an usb boot image since it's been recommended that you don't apply updates to usb boot pendrives but stick to the original image.

darkod
February 21st, 2010, 04:49 PM
afaik it's only the LTS releases that get updates "rolled up" in an updated ISO

That makes sense, for LTS.

rahilm
February 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM
Super OS on the other hand updates the iso from time to time...
last time i downloaded it, it had all the updates with it...

AlanRick
February 21st, 2010, 11:27 PM
Super OS on the other hand updates the iso from time to time...
last time i downloaded it, it had all the updates with it...

Now that looks interesting. Many thanks.