PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu forum members joining in 2007 or before please respond!

kevdog
February 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Just wondering where all the old users with a lot of knowledge have gone.

Just my opinion, but it seems like the forum needs a tweak to keep the old members from disappearing. They usually have the best knowledge of things and such, but disappear for various reasons.

chewearn
February 21st, 2010, 02:26 PM
I disappeared for a year but came back recently. :mrgreen:

spongypants23
February 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM
So you're saying the newer members don't know anything?

Nevon
February 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM
Speaking of which, where did LaRoza go?

Swagman
February 21st, 2010, 02:34 PM
Well I joined in 2007 but I'm not that knowledgable on stuff.

I can help with stuff I have personal experience of but little else.

And that's if I can remember what I did to get something working !!

The old grey matter aint what it used to be.

chewearn
February 21st, 2010, 02:37 PM

Burnt beans

wieman01
February 21st, 2010, 02:39 PM
I'm still around, dude. Still watching these wireless threads, but frankly I have less and less to add.

Let's not discuss the whereabouts of LaRoza please...

hessiess
February 21st, 2010, 02:40 PM
Im still here :)

davec64
February 21st, 2010, 02:47 PM
Still here and dipping in and out!

The Toxic Mite
February 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM

I wouldn't say anything about that.

buzzmandt
February 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM
still here too, in and out. I'm a truck driver so my connectivity is a bit limited. What time I do have I mostly spend in the development district. Running Lucid on 3 pc's now.

darsu
February 21st, 2010, 03:01 PM

On top of that, is he saying old members do know something?

GET OFF MY... WHATEVER THIS GREEN STUFF ON THE GROUND IS!

blueturtl
February 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM
I think I've been here since 2005 but back then I was a total n00wb.

Not as much any more but still far from they greybearded *nix guru I thought I would become. Ubuntu has just made things too easy. I never got around to learning any real command line magic.

cprofitt
February 21st, 2010, 03:33 PM
I think many are still here... but with the expanded community size they are, while the same number, a smaller percentage of the overall whole.

DoeRayMe
February 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM
Still here, just dropping in now and then

Elfy
February 21st, 2010, 03:54 PM
Lots are still about - but I'd guess the newer ones here are a bit more vocal

Joeb454
February 21st, 2010, 03:58 PM
I'm still here :)

It's like a reunion thread!

ikt
February 21st, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'm still here :)

Hello Friends :D !!! oh wai :<

amitabhishek
February 21st, 2010, 04:42 PM
Lots are still about - but I'd guess the newer ones here are a bit more vocal

+1.

That reminds me a few names. ;)

darrenn
February 21st, 2010, 05:08 PM

Just my opinion, but it seems like the forum needs a tweak to keep the old members from disappearing. They usually have the best knowledge of things and such, but disappear for various reasons.

Well a lot of books have been written on Ubuntu since it's introduction. When I first started using they had approximately zero books on this subject. So I think that goes a long way in helping members. The last time I went to the library they had like five books just for Ubuntu.

FuturePilot
February 21st, 2010, 05:09 PM

Hi, I'm still here ):P

Party time? :guitar:

chucky chuckaluck
February 21st, 2010, 05:12 PM
i imagine some have just left for other distros. i don't mean this badly, but for some, ubuntu is like the 'gateway drug' of linux.

qalimas
February 21st, 2010, 05:18 PM
Still here :popcorn:

Though I've moved from Ubuntu, it's hard to get away from the community. Even in support, a lot of it is general Linux knowledge that can help on many distros.

castrojo
February 21st, 2010, 05:19 PM
I am here! Going on 6 years!

jrusso2
February 21st, 2010, 05:26 PM
I am here but I don't post often in the help threads anymore due to people posting after me with wrong information or trying to start arguments I just got frustrated.

-Phi-
February 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM
I joined in mid 2005, so I guess that makes me an "old user", but I don't feel like I have piles of knowledge about Ubuntu. It's just my OS of choice.

j.bell730
February 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Hay. I'm still here.

Started using in 2007 just joined in 2008.

...Just don't have as much knowledge as you seem to expect.

MasterNetra
February 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM
Still around myself. Came and went at the beginning but I'm here to stay these days. ^.^ I miss discussing LaRoza...never did learn wither or not LaRoza was a he or she lol. (Member of: Esoteric Order of LaRoza)

I am here! Going on 6 years!

An ancient! :p

Bölvağur
February 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM
you rang?

oh wrong number...never mind then

samh785
February 21st, 2010, 05:37 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=266234

MasterNetra
February 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM

Heard there was some kind of argument occurred between LaRoza and some mod(s) and it ended with him/her leaving the forums for good. Don't know the details I had switched back to Windows to use CS3 and didn't have time to fiddle with linux so at the time so I wasn't around when it took place.

Muffinabus
February 21st, 2010, 05:52 PM
I registered in '07 but I don't consider myself any more knowledgeable than most of the people that frequent here.

gnomeuser
February 21st, 2010, 06:04 PM
I've been around the forums for a while.

I think the number one thing that needs to happen to keep old schoolers here is less moderation. The moderation on this forum is biased in favor of a terrible (from the sense of greating a great forum with valuable exchange of opinion) demographic seeing as it often favors protecting peoples conspiracy theories and willful ignorance. This has really been dragging the quality of the forums down over the years.

Also the constant rearranging of the forums really bugs me. Once I get used to one visual path to my favorite subforums they move around. Perhaps I should just bookmark them so I could avoid the main forum page all together.

Finally I would love a means to unfold a single post by a user I have on my ignore list, I found that it is probably better for my health to ignore a certain class of users but that does mean that they are unable to contribute usefully in a different context. Right now I have to remove them, reload the page and then readd them afterwards which is just to much work.

Chronon
February 21st, 2010, 06:10 PM
I joined in 2007 but I am probably more active now then I was then. Although, I am taking a bit of a break right now as I search for work.

ZarathustraDK
February 21st, 2010, 06:11 PM
Still here since 2005 :D

People weave in and out of these forums. People join, then some move on to other distros, others stay.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people return to these forums even if they've never joined. It's really one of the best places to get info, tips'n'tricks, support etc. for Linux in general.

gn2
February 21st, 2010, 06:38 PM

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6155490#post6155490

schauerlich
February 21st, 2010, 06:44 PM
LaRoza's a dude. He still hangs around freenode.

Also: oh hai, april 2007 here.

cariboo
February 21st, 2010, 06:54 PM
I joined in 2006, I lurked for a couple of years before actively posting.

Baneblade
February 21st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Reporting for Duty :)

MasterNetra
February 21st, 2010, 06:56 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6155490#post6155490

I see, its a shame. He's mysteriousness brought joy...I think oh well...

He said Doody. :p lol jk

alket
February 21st, 2010, 07:05 PM
I'm here from April 2007 but I use Ubuntu from 2005 or 2006 but back then I didn't have Internet connection. By the way I'm not geek yet although I had some problems and I learnt from them quite much. I just fitted in Ubuntu and open source apps and never looked back, I'm not that kind of guy " Oh arch, mint ... is here let's give a try ". Ubuntu gave me wonderful things for my daily tasks but I have to admit that my system broke several times but not now.

chriswyatt
February 21st, 2010, 07:09 PM
February 22nd, 2007. But I wouldn't consider myself that knowledgeable. Almost 3 years, where does the time go eh?

-grubby
February 21st, 2010, 07:13 PM
Uhh... reporting for duty, I guess.

urukrama
February 21st, 2010, 07:14 PM
I joined in July 2006. I still visit regularly, but don't post all that often these days.

NoaHall
February 21st, 2010, 07:17 PM
I've used GNU/Linux for several years, but as I did not need help, nor did I wish to give it, I did not sign up to any forums until recently.

Onyros
February 21st, 2010, 07:21 PM
I lurk, but just like in real life I only "speak" when I have something to say. ;)

user1397
February 21st, 2010, 07:42 PM
still here, though as you might be able to tell I hang out in these cafe parts more often than actual support parts nowadays :(

Queue29
February 21st, 2010, 07:56 PM
I'm still here. For some reason.

schauerlich
February 21st, 2010, 07:58 PM
Uhh... reporting for duty, I guess.

http://grab.by/2zyJ
"Red leader, standing by."

oldos2er
February 21st, 2010, 08:00 PM
Well I joined in 2007 but I'm not that knowledgable on stuff.

I can help with stuff I have personal experience of but little else.

Same here.

-grubby
February 21st, 2010, 08:00 PM
http://grab.by/2zyJ
"Red leader, standing by."

Exactly.

Sam
February 21st, 2010, 08:20 PM
Still here, never left. Since february 2005.

Warpnow
February 21st, 2010, 08:22 PM
Not sure when I joined, but should be next to this post.

Eddit: Whaddaya know, I've been here forever.

BobLand
February 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM
I dropped out for a while, switched to Arch but came back to the forums because they are the most knowledge filled and entertaining.

Like some others have posted, my grey matter is melding into the ether.

Tristam Green
February 21st, 2010, 08:39 PM
I never really left since i joined in 07.

I used to help with support, but since I rarely use Ubuntu much anymore, I tend to hang around the Café for the chit-chat. It's a fun thing to do to pass the time in between trouble tickets at work.

Kimm
February 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM
I never left, but I rarely write anything

KiwiNZ
February 21st, 2010, 08:43 PM
October 12 ,2004. A date that will live in infamy

Yup been here since then.

p_quarles
February 21st, 2010, 08:45 PM
I'm still around, but not as active as I used to be. I've been on a gaming kick recently, too, so Windows has been my default OS for the past few months, though Ubuntu still has its share of the HDD.

MaxIBoy
February 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM
I'm still here.

I think that the closure of the Backyard/OMG*P forum and the Other OS Talk forums probably alienated a lot of people. (Judgment call whether those people were just deadweight, I personally don't think so.)

Tristam Green
February 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM
I'd wager it was about 50/50. I'm sure the server thanks them for the vacated space ;)

koenn
February 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM
I'm here.

I track LTS, so I'm usually out of sync with the current bugs and upgrade troubles, so I usually follow the Server forum. Questions are usually more interesting there, and less release or even distro specific.

Besides that, I find general help and absolute beginners too noisy anyway.

KiwiNZ
February 21st, 2010, 09:15 PM
I'm still here.

I think that the closure of the Backyard/OMG*P forum and the Other OS Talk forums probably alienated a lot of people. (Judgment call whether those people were just deadweight, I personally don't think so.)

I was not about the people. It was about the topics.But thats another subject for another time another place please.

jeyaganesh
February 21st, 2010, 09:21 PM

I was thinking to start a thread last week with exactly same questions. But I had no interest.

I am here since Nov 2006. I never contribute any knowledgeable information here. But I used to start new threads regarding latest linux news from other websites.:)

RavTux and LaRosa time was the golden period of Ubuntu forums. I still remember jrusso2, urukrama, dr small and sam well from that time. People from that time came up with very interesting news about Linux world.:D I also remember some other nice people from that time, but remember only their avatar:D

At present I like the contributions of gnomeuser, gn2 and forestcupp (man with Indiana Jones avatar).

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 21st, 2010, 09:31 PM
I first joined in July 2006. I continued distro hopping. By the time I came back to Ubuntu I had forgotten my original forum username and password; therefore, started a new one.

I think there are so many new users that it just appears that the old ones have left.

I am here but I don't post often in the help threads anymore due to people posting after me with wrong information or trying to start arguments I just got frustrated.

Increasingly, I open a thread to late to help. Someone already gave bad advice, and the damage was already done. Someday, I am going to be in a bad mood when this happen, and I will write something that will get me an infraction or worse.

Hrodebert
February 21st, 2010, 09:31 PM
I'm kind of old I guess.
But I mostly check todays posts and let the youngins do the talking.

The Real Dave
February 21st, 2010, 09:39 PM
I'm a newbie by yere standards :( But you just wait, in another 3 years, I'll be one of the Elders :)

Maybe....

;)

Sorry to gate crash by the way :)

Barrucadu
February 21st, 2010, 09:54 PM
Woah, I joined back in 2007? Seems like forever…

Started Linuxing back in mid-2007, left Ubuntu in late 2007, wrested the informal position of Head Linux Nerd from my friend's cold, dead hands (figuratively speaking) in early 2008.

Speaking of old users, where's Dr Small? I haven't seem him around for a while.

I'm a newbie by yere standards :( But you just wait, in another 3 years, I'll be one of the Elders :)

‘Linux Elder’ should be a title gained after being a member for 3 years :p

kostkon
February 21st, 2010, 09:55 PM
Still here...

NovaAesa
February 21st, 2010, 10:11 PM
Here I am!

swoll1980
February 21st, 2010, 11:01 PM
I know nothing, and deny everything.

Swarms
February 21st, 2010, 11:20 PM
I am a new one sadly.

sertse
February 21st, 2010, 11:44 PM
gnomeuser post sums it up mainly. Said it better than I could, and it's the other side the whole "tone and tenor" thing doesn't acknowledge. (But that's another topic)

I stick the screenshot thread now. I still support in IRC, but on project channels (#xfce, #midori etc...) rather than on distros.

K.Mandla
February 21st, 2010, 11:51 PM
I still stop in from time to time. I don't answer support threads as much these days since my own setups are usually quite different from Gnome or Ubuntu systems. But when I can help, I do.

Berk
February 21st, 2010, 11:54 PM
I think I fit the criteria for join date, still does not mean I know anything though. ;)

Edit: Wow, March 2006, madness.

kevdog
February 22nd, 2010, 02:02 AM
Thrilled to see some of the old users checking in -- just to know they are alive somewhere out there doing something -- good times.

Chucky -- where's the gun?

Methuselah
February 22nd, 2010, 02:06 AM
Present...but never really that talkative.

Icehuck
February 22nd, 2010, 02:08 AM
I'm late to the party yet again.

lisati
February 22nd, 2010, 02:08 AM
Some "stuff" came up. I miss LaRoza at times, there's a wealth of valuable contibutions still in the forum archives......

I'm still around, but hesitate to equate bean count or length of stay with knowledge or wisdom. Some newer members seem to be better at offering useful replies with fewer posts than myself.

toupeiro
February 22nd, 2010, 02:16 AM
Still kickin'... I was still a forum lurker in 2006, but didn't get around to creating an account until later.

I admit I dont visit as frequently as I used to. I occasionally browse the support sections to see if there are any "new" issues I can help out with, and occasionally still ask for help in said support sections if I get stumped. I post less frequently on off-topic conversations because I feel like more often than not, I have far less to offer. I really don't care about poll after poll about kinds of cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich everyone likes, or the 300'th thread about beer. I like it even less that trying to consolidate topics into a single thread ends up getting killed for "necromancy" now. I dont know, I still like the forums, but its harder and harder to find stuff that I feel is truly worth contributing to lately. Maybe this stuff has always been around in the same quantity and its just me. Either way, I'm still kickin'. :)

freebeer
February 22nd, 2010, 02:18 AM
I joined in 2006, I lurked for a couple of years before actively posting.

Sez the guy with 13.5k posts. :razz:

cmat
February 22nd, 2010, 02:20 AM
I've been pretty busy with studies/work and have become proficient enough with Ubuntu that I don't post here much. I should try to help out more.

Icehuck
February 22nd, 2010, 02:24 AM
I like it even less that trying to consolidate topics into a single thread ends up getting killed for "necromancy" now.

I don't understand this part either. It is always better to post in an existing topic than to start a new one.

toupeiro
February 22nd, 2010, 02:26 AM
I don't understand this part either. It is always better to post in an existing topic than to start a new one.

I know, right?! Everywhere but here. Out with the old, in with the new, same as the old, I guess.

SteveHillier
February 22nd, 2010, 02:31 AM
I am just a little concerned about Kevdog's opening remark.

Just wondering where all the old users ...
Just because the hair is getting greyer, just because the belt keeps shrinking, just because the bones ache, just because the joints creak and groan it doesn't mean I am an 'old user'.

As for my knowledge, well...
I spend my working day fixing machines with Windows on it. I use Ubuntu very much as an 'out of the box' user. I use the forum to gain knowledge and I can help those with Windows / Ubuntu type problems. I don't program these daya (or not above a little php programming), I don't use fancy graphics, sound or games stuff. I do use it to connect to my Windows domain and integrration with Windows networks is where my main interst is in. So my ability to help others is restricted because I don't meddle with it.

Oh, btw, last year I decided I should go for LPIC and Ubuntu ceertification - I just haven't had the time to do the learning work.

but as you can see I am still around

Bartender
February 22nd, 2010, 02:33 AM
Been visiting Ubuntu Forums for a while. I'm merely competent in a few areas, and clueless about vast swaths of the Linux landscape.

It has been exciting to witness some of the changes, such as device manufacturers starting to get onboard, improved hardware support, etc.

sports fan Matt
February 22nd, 2010, 02:37 AM
I'd have to agree with Bartender.

Bachstelze
February 22nd, 2010, 02:45 AM
O hai

kleeman
February 22nd, 2010, 04:14 AM
Joined in November 2004 for warty. I haven't posted much in the last 3 years because I lost interest in the forum. Mostly because I never had any problems with my 6 Ubuntu boxes. Posted a lot more on Launchpad re various bugs.

koleoptero
February 22nd, 2010, 04:20 AM
Lots of people joined in 2007 I see. :)

Dr. C
February 22nd, 2010, 04:27 AM
Still here

LowSky
February 22nd, 2010, 04:29 AM
I'm always around, and helping out where I can

wersdaluv
February 22nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
Where's RavTux?

And fuscia? Hehehe

Mustard
February 22nd, 2010, 08:42 AM
I'm still here, although I was absent for a couple of years.

I'm still a nub. :)

Knowle
February 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
o_O

I don't count.

nikhilbhardwaj
February 22nd, 2010, 08:51 AM

the op has never said that
stop with these inflammatory posts

nikhilbhardwaj
February 22nd, 2010, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't say anything about that.

now you've made me curious
whose this larozza guy??

dearingj
February 22nd, 2010, 08:58 AM
I joined in '06, and I'm still here :)

NikoC
February 22nd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Joined in 2005 and still around... though I have to say my number of hours on the board has seriously declined due to other interests... I help out where I can though...

mikewhatever
February 22nd, 2010, 09:47 AM
Hi everyone!

is this a members' parade, or what? :)

hanzomon4
February 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
Present

Rhubarb
February 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
I'm still here, helping out every now and then :)

My attention has been more devoted to work of late, and helping out with openstreetmap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/)

kellemes
February 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Most (if not all) support-questions already have been asked.. and answered.
Not much new going on here..

The more happens in life the less I login to the Forums.

Perfect Storm
February 22nd, 2010, 10:33 AM
past, present, future.

I'm not going anywhere. Joined October 11th, 2004

gn2
February 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
It is always better to post in an existing topic than to start a new one.

Not necessarily.
Old support threads sometimes contain information that is out of date and irrelevant which can cause unnecessary confusion.

coutts99
February 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM
Only posting to check my join date :)

4leite
February 22nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
still about, mostly lurking. i like to read, don't have much to say though...

where's handy at?

megamania
February 22nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'm still here too. :-)

CJ56
February 22nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Still around, still around...

CbrPad
February 22nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Still hanging around too. Jeez, just see I joined in 2004 !

CbrPad
February 22nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
past, present, future.

I'm not going anywhere. Joined October 11th, 2004

Dammit, you're two weeks older than me :-)

Detonate
February 22nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
I have been mostly over on the Kubuntu forum, much smaller community, there and I was a moderator on the short lived Xubuntu forum hosted by cafe linux for a while. That folded due to lack of traffic. I'm back here lurking mostly.

Perfect Storm
February 22nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
Dammit, you're two weeks older than me :-)

Most aren't ;)

kio_http
February 22nd, 2010, 03:16 PM
I'm new on the forums, but I've used K(Ubuntu) since Hoary's release.

dmizer
February 22nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Never really left myself, but my replies to support requests have dwindled.

xpod
February 22nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
I`ve been around Ubuntu Forums almost as long as i`ve been using a computer and i`ll no doubt still be here, or thereabouts, till the day i stop using them.:D
What relatively small amount of knowlege i`ve accumulated in that time though has probably been more of a benifit to those around me in the physical world rather than the online one.

pelle.k
February 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
PING! :D

I don't help people out as much anymore, and I like to think i've done my part with that.
Now i develop, create, report bugs, and solve my own problems. Should I cross someone that needs help, and I have knowledge in that particular area, then sure i'll help them out, but i'm not actively looking for problems to solve.

lucazade
February 22nd, 2010, 04:43 PM
I joined in '07, and I'm still here.
Just got few beans because of my limited english knowledge :)

PhoHammer
February 22nd, 2010, 05:24 PM

+1

I've "been here" since 2007, but I know very little compared to many that have signed up after me. My account went dormant for a while when I didn't know one could actually "fix" things like incorrect display resolutions and wireless networking :P.

caravel
February 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
As clueless as the day I first joined...

I thank Ubuntu for leading me to Debian.

I do post here very occasionally, but all in all this place is just not what it was back in '06/07. The closure of the OMGPP, and some other factors, ruined it for me long ago. The place used to be an informative mine of information, and you were almost always guaranteed good advice, and a solution, with any issues that you (as a newbie or otherwise) were having.

Eddie Wilson
February 22nd, 2010, 07:11 PM
I'm still here at times. It's a lot more easy to install and use Ubuntu then it was when I started with 5.10. I didn't start off with Ubuntu but with Knoppix then XandrOS, and then Mepis and...well you get the picture.

jpeddicord
February 22nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
Started around Dapper here. Those were the days ;)

Phasmus
February 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
*delurk*
Still here.
*lurk*

slakkie
February 22nd, 2010, 07:40 PM
I'm here, now what?

matthew
February 22nd, 2010, 07:42 PM
I'm still around.

wieman01
February 22nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
I`ve been around Ubuntu Forums almost as long as i`ve been using a computer and i`ll no doubt still be here, or thereabouts, till the day i stop using them.:D
What relatively small amount knowlege i`ve have accumulated in that time though has probably been more of a benifit to those around me in the physical world rather than the online one.
Hey there!

koenn
February 22nd, 2010, 07:51 PM
I'm still around.
You even have a thread from "2007 or before" that's still alive.

Mr. Picklesworth
February 22nd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Wow, I joined in 2006.

I'm not used to being an oldie :)

forrestcupp
February 22nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
I've been around a long time, and I'm a 1337 H@x0R. I can see the files on your hard drive right now. :)

Just joking.

I think that the closure of the Backyard/OMG*P forum and the Other OS Talk forums probably alienated a lot of people. (Judgment call whether those people were just deadweight, I personally don't think so.)I'm deadweight and proud of it. ;)

skillllllz
February 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
I haven't gone anywhere. Don't plan to either :-)

markusf21
February 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
I'm still here. I help where I can, But I really don't know much. Ubuntu has always worked pretty well for me so I haven't learned much.

xpod
February 22nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Hey there!

It`s a yoohoo to you too....and a Yahoo for us all soon.:D

doas777
February 22nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
I'm still around, dude. Still watching these wireless threads, but frankly I have less and less to add.

Let's not discuss the whereabouts of LaRoza please...

agreed, the details are not important, but many of the old timers have left due to issues with moderation. can't really discuss the issue, if we try to gloss over that fact.

MickS
February 22nd, 2010, 08:56 PM
This thread makes me feel old.

Mick

hoagie
February 22nd, 2010, 08:58 PM
I am still here, going strong.

NCLI
February 22nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I'm here :popcorn:

Icehuck
February 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm here :popcorn:

No you're not.

meho_r
February 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Ping!

sisco311
February 22nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
I'm still around.

Only because we need a Resident Troll (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=324421). :evil:

forrestcupp
February 22nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Only because we need a Resident Troll (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=324421). :evil:

Lol. 1,337 posts.

23meg
February 22nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
I too am still around, moderating one subforum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=377), and occasionally failing to keep myself from responding to factual inaccuracies and disinformation at CC.

matthew
February 22nd, 2010, 09:38 PM

Wow. He hasn't even logged on for a long time. Hmm...

Seq
February 22nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
I'm still here! Honest!

Perfect Storm
February 22nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
Wow. He hasn't even logged on for a long time. Hmm...

Well...with his over 4294967295 infractions points, I think he won't show up again to get infracted.

Resident Troll
February 22nd, 2010, 09:45 PM
Well...with his over 4294967295 infractions points, I think he won't show up again to get infracted.

No, I just lurk until summoned.

Perfect Storm
February 22nd, 2010, 09:50 PM

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/76454/0/Troll-X-ing.png

koleoptero
February 22nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Coincidence? :-|

forrestcupp
February 22nd, 2010, 09:53 PM

I wonder how many staffers will hand out infractions for this post.

schauerlich
February 22nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/76454/0/Troll-X-ing.png
http://grab.by/grabs/46ea10f84cbc6c273b0f4427b2615833.png

BrokenKingpin
February 22nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
I joined in 2006, then left for years, but have been back for a while.

Perfect Storm
February 22nd, 2010, 09:59 PM
(For those who don't know, "Resident Troll" is our crash-test-dummy)

Tristam Green
February 22nd, 2010, 09:59 PM

That's...pretty darn awesome, actually.

http://grab.by/grabs/46ea10f84cbc6c273b0f4427b2615833.png

lol (http://www.instantrimshot.com)

matthew
February 22nd, 2010, 10:01 PM

It's true. It is an account that I use to test features with a non-admin account or for the purposes of letting new staff learn how to give infractions, etc. Resident Troll is me.

Tristam Green
February 22nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
It's true. It is an account that I use to test features with a non-admin account or for the purposes of letting new staff learn how to give infractions, etc. Resident Troll is me.

You have killed the mystique of the Resident Troll for me.

I feel strangely disillusioned now :(

NoaHall
February 22nd, 2010, 10:07 PM

I move that you get banned for multiple accounts :)

koleoptero
February 22nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
you have killed the mystique of the resident troll for me.

I feel strangely disillusioned now :(

+1

Brandel Valico
February 22nd, 2010, 10:10 PM
*Raises hand* Not sure what amount of time has to do with amount of knowledge. But yeah anyway here and present.

Perfect Storm
February 22nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
+1

Cheers up :KS

Icehuck
February 22nd, 2010, 10:11 PM

You killed it for me. It was like finding out there was no room for ice cream.

Tristam Green
February 22nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
kole, it is odd (yet cool!) how it turns out whenever you quote someone, *everything* turns into lower-case letters.

I wOnDeR wHaT wOuLd HaPpEn If YoU wErE tO qUoTe ThIs!?

Icehuck
February 22nd, 2010, 10:13 PM
kole, it is odd (yet cool!) how it turns out whenever you quote someone, *everything* turns into lower-case letters.

This is what happens

Tristam Green
February 22nd, 2010, 10:18 PM
This is what happens

You are not koleoptero, so no it is not!

Barrucadu
February 22nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
You killed it for me. It was like finding out there was no room for ice cream.

Or that there is no Santa :(

overdrank
February 22nd, 2010, 10:20 PM
I am still here, not much support anymore just spam hunting :)

koleoptero
February 22nd, 2010, 10:20 PM

Crash test message.

EDIT: Nope, still giggly.

Tristam Green
February 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
Crash test message.

EDIT: Nope, still giggly.

dang, i gotta work on my trap statements :D

negativ
February 22nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
I don't come here much anymore, because I don't use Ubuntu on the desktop anymore. Each new release since 7.10 seems to get ever so slightly more annoying. I think one of the last straws was having bash offer some "helpful suggestions" when I mistyped "sl" instead of "ls". How long until Ubuntu has its very own Clippy?

That said, I have an Ubuntu server that I like fairly well, and I intend to continue checking out the state of desktop Ubuntu. I'll probably try out new releases for a while, even if I just end up going back elsewhere.

My current preference is Arch and Fedora. They're both very different from each other, and both different from Ubuntu. Of course, they also have their own set of annoyances.

jpl888
February 22nd, 2010, 10:59 PM
I have been a member since 2007 but I haven't started posting a lot until the last week or so. What strikes me from looking at the new posts is that there isn't a lot of technical posts to get your teeth into (which is a good thing means Ubuntu is working really well).

I think what may put some people off posting is a reasonable percentage of posts seem to be badly articulated and another percentage seem to be from people who have very little knowledge (which means they will be difficult to direct).

I can feel myself holding my breath when I go into some of the threads wondering how long it will take to resolve.

lisati
February 22nd, 2010, 11:03 PM
Or that there is no Santa :(

What, no Sanat? Who's going to buy me my new computer later this year?

lisati
February 22nd, 2010, 11:04 PM

This post should be reported!

DougieFresh4U
February 23rd, 2010, 01:00 AM
Present and accounted for!:P
Have not had a 'box' dedicated to Ubuntu for a while as I had to give up my nice machine to my sister (being the nice person I am) and now I only have an old iMac G3 with os 10.3 I have tried several times to 'give' this machine to Ubuntu but each try has failed with disaster and I have to keep reinstalling os 10.3
Ubuntu has gotten to the point where it pretty much 'just works' not like when I first started way back and I was almost 'living' here at the forum as it didn't take much to 'bork' your machine.
Now if some one would come up with some thing for my Mac G3 to 'just work' and yes I have read the various threads blah blah blah :P

click4851
February 23rd, 2010, 01:56 AM
lurking and posting when I can since Breezy.

the yawner
February 23rd, 2010, 02:33 AM
I'm possibly one of the least helpful members since 2007. My inactivity is best represented by the Santa hat I've donned since Christmas 2008.

xpod
February 23rd, 2010, 02:36 AM

You`ve caught the attention of quite a few but most of us are pleading ignorance it would seem.:D

gn2
February 23rd, 2010, 03:15 AM
You`ve caught the attention of quite a few but most of us are pleading ignorance it would seem.:D

Aye, the longer I use it the more I realise how little I know.
Not made any easier by just as soon as one gets to grips with something the next release changes it to something different and the learning process has to start all over again.
e.g. first time I ever have to tweak Grub 2 the noise from my computer den will sound something like "bleeping bleepity bleep bleep".

sunburstgl
February 23rd, 2010, 04:08 AM
I'm pretty sure I've been the least helpful 2007 and older user on the forum [-(
I think it's time I get a little involved with Ubuntu Forums. I'm making it my goal to spend a lot more time on the forum, trying to help out when I can. :)

era86
February 23rd, 2010, 04:17 AM
I lurk... and post only occasionally.

Uncle Spellbinder
February 23rd, 2010, 06:23 AM
Lurking since '05, forum member since January '06. Been using Ubuntu as my primary Linux distro, dual booting with Windows. Also dabbling in Fedora, Debian and OpenSuse.

Help when I can, but I find myself seeking help as well. I really love this forum and it's members. Great place to help, seek help or just play in the Cafe.

bigbrovar
February 23rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
I use to be very active in the forums, but nowadays I hardly show face. Blame micro blogging especially Identica :(

ndefontenay
February 23rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
I've been here since Feb 2007.
I visit the forum regularly. I try to help whenever I can.

kpkeerthi
February 23rd, 2010, 09:26 AM
I migrated to Arch. But still hang around here (most of the time).

xpod
February 23rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Typically people on techie type Internet forums are chasing whatever beans, thanks or kudos happens to be on offer but here at UF we`re all arguing over which one of us has been the least helpful.......That`s actually quite funny.
At least it gives me a list i can vie for position on i suppose.:D

Aye, the longer I use it the more I realise how little I know.
Not made any easier by just as soon as one gets to grips with something the next release changes it to something different and the learning process has to start all over again.
e.g. first time I ever have to tweak Grub 2 the noise from my computer den will sound something like "bleeping bleepity bleep bleep".

Aye, i can certainly relate to that. I dont even need a new release to lose track mind you.

handy
February 23rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
still about, mostly lurking. i like to read, don't have much to say though...

where's handy at?

It has taken me nearly a day to read all the posts in this thread... ;)

I don't do much in the support area anymore, it doesn't help that I haven't been a steady Ubuntu user for some years.

Even though I miss The Backyard (by any other name) & The Other OS Talk, sub-forums I still share some strange connection with the Ubuntu community & play around a bit in the Cafe. I guess I'm contributing somewhat to the community with the ATi GPU OSS (primarily) thread that I try to keep somewhat up to date.

It is very difficult, if not impossible, to travel very far in a meaningful direction on certain topics in the Cafe due to the CoC.

But the bottom line is, them's the rules, abide by them or go elsewhere.

Which is fair enough.

I am incredibly grateful to the Ubuntu community, it got me going with Linux.

To paraphrase Chucky; Ubuntu is like a gateway drug which leads many to becoming users of other harder forms of Linux.

Without Ubuntu, there would be a great deal less Linux users, & that is something for this community to be really proud of, because without this community there would also naturally exist way less Ubuntu users.

Great stuff. :)

[Edit:] I know, I state the obvious (again). :)

beniwtv
February 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
Yep, still around.

I'm not very active - never was - just don't have the time as I'm pretty busy with life these days. Makes me glad Ubuntu just won't give me any problems since Hardy; but I kinda miss that :D.

EDIT: 2006!

the yawner
February 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
Ahh... I remember now. I avoided Jaunty due to a couple of issues it had with my laptop (Intel graphics). This gave me little incentive on checking out UF regularly. More so when I finally jumped to Karmic as it was a mostly pleasant experience.

renzokuken
February 23rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
still here and i check the forums most week days. i try to help out with unanswered posts when i can but have less and less time to do it now.

alan tait
February 23rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
I'm still around too - I just don't know anything!:D

forrestcupp
February 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
I think one of the last straws was having bash offer some "helpful suggestions" when I mistyped "sl" instead of "ls". How long until Ubuntu has its very own Clippy?

Does Ubuntu develop bash, or is that something in every distro that uses bash?

p_quarles
February 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Does Ubuntu develop bash, or is that something in every distro that uses bash?
It's a GNU project:

http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/bash.html

negativ
February 23rd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Talking about this. (http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=command-not-found)

I guess a lot of people like it, but I find it more than a little obnoxious.

samalex
February 23rd, 2010, 05:05 PM

I had to look, and I joined on February 17th, 2007 :)

I still see lots of old-school users around though.

Sam

23meg
February 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
Talking about this. (http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=command-not-found)

I guess a lot of people like it, but I find it more than a little obnoxious.

Did you consider uninstalling it?

newbie2
February 23rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
I still see lots of old-school users around though.

Sam
Yep still around, and only using ubuntu...some 'occational' moment(for windows-only apps) i use windows in Sun's(now Oracle) Virtualbox ...
My 'ubuntu-addiction' began with Mandela's explanation of ubuntu on this movie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28philosophy%29
:)

meborc
February 23rd, 2010, 07:05 PM
Been here since the hoary-breezy change. Great times :)

I used to hang out in the beginners area first... then the other OS and backyard... reading and learning

I am still a bit stiff in some areas, but I know enough to solve problems I have encountered on my own systems

Nowadays I check the development forums of ubuntu+1 to check for possible "bad" upgrades... I also like the science forums as well as the screenshot thread

I should contribute more to the beginners area, but time is short these days

edmondt
February 23rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
I joined a while ago... Love ubuntu :) the forum needs more updating with good HOWTO informations etc.

Before, there has been no way to sync PocketPC (Windows Mobile) or iPhone, but now I can do both under ubuntu (No VBox needed :)

Ubuntu has come a long way since 5.10 :)

Siph0n
February 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
I'm still here... replying just to see my join date...

lisati
February 23rd, 2010, 08:24 PM
<snip> first time I ever have to tweak Grub 2 the noise from my computer den will sound something like "bleeping bleepity bleep bleep".
With a some "adjectives deleted" and "blankety blank" thrown in for good measure, no doubt! :)

Typically people on techie type Internet forums are chasing whatever beans, thanks or kudos happens to be on offer but here at UF we`re all arguing over which one of us has been the least helpful.......That`s actually quite funny.
At least it gives me a list i can vie for position on i suppose.:D

There were a couple of threads where the use of the "thanks" feature got a little silly, not long before the feature was disabled......

I'm still around too - I just don't know anything!:D
Sure? Don't underestimate yourself!

MichealH
February 23rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Post was jailed... Sorry for any inconvenience I caused

snkiz
February 23rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Still here, more a lurker than a poster. I like a good natured debate or arguement though, so it worries me to see the trend in how theads are moded nowadays. It seems some are just waay to sensitive these days.

Besides with every passing release its getting harder to break things that I need help to fix. O:)

xpod
February 24th, 2010, 12:10 AM

There were a couple of threads where the use of the "thanks" feature got a little silly, not long before the feature was disabled......

I probably wasn`t around too much when the thanks feature was in place. I just remember it being there one day and gone again very soon after.

matthew
February 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM

It caused database corruption. The plugin works great on smaller forums, but didn't scale well to one our size.

Dougie187
February 24th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I'm still here. I check regularly, and try to help as many as I can.

It caused database corruption. The plugin works great on smaller forums, but didn't scale well to one our size.

Was this replaced by the "referrals" that is hidden deep in ones profile?

I miss the thanks, collecting them is like collecting beans.

matthew
February 24th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Was this replaced by the "referrals" that is hidden deep in ones profile?

No, that is an integral part of the software, not an addition.

Dougie187
February 24th, 2010, 01:39 AM
No, that is an integral part of the software, not an addition.

I misunderstood what these were. But the FAQ cleared it all up.

I thought it was similar to thanks.

warpasylum
February 24th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Don't know a whole lot, but learning more every day and happy to help if I can.

vambo
February 24th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Had to check before posting to this thread. I have been a member since 2007. Doesn't time fly!!
Still try and chuck in the odd tuppence worth if appropriate.

lyall
February 24th, 2010, 02:16 AM
still here
living, learning more, and still having fun :D

MoebusNet
February 25th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Still here! I'll stick with Hardy until the next LTS, but I try out the newer versions in VBox. Still the best community around!

-gabe-noob-
February 25th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Me what? I haven't posted in like a year O.o

anonymous_user
February 25th, 2010, 01:14 AM
i imagine some have just left for other distros. i don't mean this badly, but for some, ubuntu is like the 'gateway drug' of linux.
QFT *looks at avatar and runs away*

red_Marvin
February 25th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I've always been more of a lurker. Especially since I've moved away from ubuntu since maybe one year or so.

Tibuda
February 25th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Why 2007?

gn2
February 25th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Why 2007?

Probably because that's when the OP joined...?

handy
February 25th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Why 2007?

Maturity is supposed to come with age. So they say. :)

kagashe
February 25th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I am still here but visit only the Community Cafe. I remember the year 2005 when I had to learn wvdial and its config file to set up Mobile Network connection. I was surprised to find that Ubuntu now offers to configure such devices as soon as they are plugged-in and it does not use wvdial, therefore, I need to learn where it is putting the configuration files.

I would also like to inform that I am back to employment and working in a 4x600 MW Thermal Power Station and have less time for Ubuntu. I am posting this from the company Laptop having Windows but running Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD on it to post here.

I could install Ubuntu on this laptop but need Windows to run dxg dwf file viewers. I understand that there is Linux software to view dxg files but I could not find any for dwf.

kagashe

xpod
February 25th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Had to check before posting to this thread. I have been a member since 2007. Doesn't time fly!!
Still try and chuck in the odd tuppence worth if appropriate.

Hey there Vambo. Hows Auld Reekie, apart from the whether that is?:D

Tibuda
February 25th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Maturity is supposed to come with age. So they say. :)
Yeah, but why 2007 and not 2006 or 2005?

Probably because that's when the OP joined...?
Makes sense

Mark Phelps
February 25th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Been around for a while ... but losing enthusiasm for the forums ...

Why?

Because, while I enjoy helping people solve their Ubuntu problems (hey, we ALL had to learn it anew at one point!), I'm getting disgusted about the "Ubuntu Forums" being turned into the "Windows 7 Forums" -- especially when bad advice is being given.

I think we should have a standing policy that, unless the Windows 7 problem is directly related to Ubuntu (e.g., dual-boot, GRUB can't find it, etc), we should be required to direct folks to the premier Windows 7 forum -- sevenforums.com -- and before you ask, NO, I'm not getting compensated in any way for saying that.

I just think that folks should take their technical problems to the right place to get them solved.

Zlatan
February 25th, 2010, 03:48 PM
One more here.
I would vote for an idea to include a beginner's how-to section in these forums. Differences from Windows should be described clearly here as well.

DouglasAWh
February 25th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I'm still here.

I think there are a fair amount of people that start with ubuntu but then move on to other distros. Fab of Linux Outlaws did it, for instance. I've thought about going to something rolling like Gentoo or Arch. I currently run Fedora at work but Ubuntu at home.

I think also people that become more technical realize IRC is the place to be to get quick help. So, if you aren't in your local LoCo IRC channel (#ubuntu-us-wi for me), then I suggest you get there. Join your LoCo list. I find it much easier to communicate with people I'm communicating with on a regular basis, rather than the 1000s that are here. I'm not knocking forums, I just think a lot of people leave forums for IRC. Obviously I'm still here every now and again. :)

mips
February 25th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I think the number one thing that needs to happen to keep old schoolers here is less moderation.

I think many just got fed up and left or still lurk here but no longer really post.

Daveski
February 26th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I am still here but visit only the Community Cafe.

Me too - and the occasional search.

samjh
February 26th, 2010, 12:33 AM

Well, I joined in 2006, but wouldn't presume to have "the best knowledge of things". ;)

Thanks for the ego-stroke, though. :D :p

benerivo
February 26th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I'll keep looking at these forums for a while yet as the sheer number of posts means there is usually something interesting to read.

SomeGuyDude
February 26th, 2010, 01:26 AM
You can only maintain interest for so long. Eventually you're pretty much set in terms of getting your system going and you don't have much about Linux to chat about, so... you move on.

Psumi
February 26th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I was old, but then I changed my username; got banned, then am here now.

vambo
February 26th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Hey there Vambo. Hows Auld Reekie, apart from the whether that is?:D

Hi Xpod. Still stuck in the smoke?
As you might have guessed, Auld Reekie is baltic at the mo.
Still the same - has been for the past several hundred years! - so no surprise - even Mad Vlad's still in charge at Tynie

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 26th, 2010, 02:10 AM
One thing that is keeping me from posting helpful information is that offshoots of Ubuntu are pointing people here for their support. For example, WUBI. I use Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or Eubuntu in their own partition or VM. I don't know anything about problems people are having with WUBI installations. I feel like the Ubuntu forum is becoming a dumping ground for offshoots that can't maintain their own support forum.