PDA

View Full Version : .torrent... what can open this?

Lynx
February 5th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Hey guys, I need a program that can open a .torrent file, any help would be much appreciated.

In fact I am having difficulty understanding the whole bittorrent thing... I have it installed but there doesn't seem to be a gui or anything.

carlc
February 5th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Have you installed BitTorrent? You should be able to dl it with apt-get.

http://bittorrent.com/

Lynx
February 5th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Have you installed BitTorrent? You should be able to dl it with apt-get.

http://bittorrent.com/

I dled bittorrent via synaptic but when I go to the file there is nothing in it.

j-rock
February 5th, 2005, 07:32 AM
I use Azureus for my bit-torrent transfers. It's cool, but requires java, so YMMV.

Lynx
February 5th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Is there a tutorial on how to use the bittorrent stuff?

carlc
February 5th, 2005, 08:21 AM
I dont know of a tutorial but I am sure many exist. If you have bittorrent installed, then when you click on the bittorrent file that you want to download, it should give you two options, one to save to disk, and a second option to open with "btdownloadgui". If you open with btdownloadgui, it should take care of the download from there.

Quest-Master
February 5th, 2005, 03:42 PM
www.ubuntuguide.org has a guide on installing Azureus. ;)

Wolven
February 5th, 2005, 07:25 PM
If you want to use Firefox to download torrents just:

sudo apt-get install bittornado-gui
When you click a torrent link now FF should ask you if you want to "Open with /usr/bin/btdownloadgui (default)" Select OK and choose a dir to save the file(s).

adbak
February 5th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I use BitTornado, which works great. You just click as if you're going to download the .torrent, but FireFox asks you if you want to use btdownloadgui (the GUI front-end for it) -- say yes.

I have also heard great things about Azureus, but it requires that you have Java installed.

Lynx
February 6th, 2005, 12:20 AM
will epiphany ask me the same question?

ups
February 7th, 2005, 05:42 PM
a simple and light bittorrent gui is gnome-btdownload - its present in synaptic and also supported in ubuntu. it doesnt require java or anything, so u can give it a try.

however, i'm running hoary - not sure if its present in warty.

Lynx
February 7th, 2005, 08:06 PM
I got tornado up and running, only to find out that my school blocks p2p downloads, I now need to look into a proxy-server in order to bypass that and use tornado.

onlainari
February 20th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Alrighty. I am going to look for a bt-client capable of handling many torrents in one window like azureus.

Why not Azureus? - I am struggling running wine at the same time. For some reason it totally freezes the wine. It will work real slow if I have azureus running in background.

YokoZar
February 21st, 2005, 12:36 AM
Alrighty. I am going to look for a bt-client capable of handling many torrents in one window like azureus.

Why not Azureus? - I am struggling running wine at the same time. For some reason it totally freezes the wine. It will work real slow if I have azureus running in background.
Azureus is a Java program and can work natively without the use of Wine. Check out http://www.ubuntuguide.org/ for intsructions.

poofyhairguy
February 21st, 2005, 12:59 AM
will epiphany ask me the same question?

Maybe. If not, save the file to you home folder and open it.

poofyhairguy
February 21st, 2005, 01:03 AM
If you want to use Firefox to download torrents just:

sudo apt-get install bittornado-gui
When you click a torrent link now FF should ask you if you want to "Open with /usr/bin/btdownloadgui (default)" Select OK and choose a dir to save the file(s).

Bit Tornado Gui is a lot better than the regular Bit Torrent client. With the regular client, it uses automatic settings for uploads and I can only the download to take up 10% or so of my bandwidth. With Bit Tornado I put my setting how I know they work (dsl slow, 13kps up) and I will download torrents faster than anything else.

Wardhog
February 23rd, 2005, 04:05 AM

I had a hard time figuring out how to run Azureus 24/7 on a headless box, and now use "nohup btlaunchmany . --max_upload_rate 9 &" and ssh in and use "tail -f nohup.out" to check progress.

Azureus is the best-looking BT client IMO, but the tools provided with the bittorrent package only require a little time invested in learning how they work.

deviant03
March 5th, 2005, 10:20 AM
The regular Bittorrent client is a much easier install than Azureus, at least on Ubuntu that is. Havent tried Bit Tornado yet though.