PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Wubi Trouble

xL717
February 21st, 2010, 04:46 AM
I decided to try Wubi out and test Linux for myself. I downloaded, installed it, and everything went fine, but now when I reboot I'm not given the option to boot into it like I should be - it just takes me to Windows by default. I don't know very much about computers, so I don't know how to go in and change the boot order or anything, and I don't understand why it's not giving me the choice. I have an HP desktop with Windows XP on it, and I installed Xubuntu. If I go into my add/remove programs, it says Xubuntu is there, taking up 17,640.00mb, so I know it installed properly. Why can't I boot into it? Is there something I need to do, or a way to fix it? Please go easy on me and explain with as much detail as possible, because I'm a n00b. Thanks. :)

lloyd_b
February 21st, 2010, 09:29 AM
I decided to try Wubi out and test Linux for myself. I downloaded, installed it, and everything went fine, but now when I reboot I'm not given the option to boot into it like I should be - it just takes me to Windows by default. I don't know very much about computers, so I don't know how to go in and change the boot order or anything, and I don't understand why it's not giving me the choice. I have an HP desktop with Windows XP on it, and I installed Xubuntu. If I go into my add/remove programs, it says Xubuntu is there, taking up 17,640.00mb, so I know it installed properly. Why can't I boot into it? Is there something I need to do, or a way to fix it? Please go easy on me and explain with as much detail as possible, because I'm a n00b. Thanks. :)

It's most likely a bug in the installer has set the "timeout" for the Wubi boot screen to 0, so it's automatically booting into the default (Windows).

Follow the instructions in post #2 of this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1363225) and see if it helps.

Lloyd B.

xL717
February 22nd, 2010, 02:55 AM
Thanks, that did the trick.