PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Audio Profiles Missing

gordonash
February 21st, 2010, 01:17 AM
So, im new to Ubuntu and so far am really likeing it on my zotac mag instead of windows.

Anyhow todays problem is audio profiles missing from the audio settings dialogue. After 2 days trying to get all my movies playing properly through xbmc i finally stumble on some information that indicates this is a ubuntu issue and not to do with xbmc.

So anyway im pretty sure i have profiles missing for 5.1 sound especially though the spdif. I ve read quite a few posts about people with the same problem but as of yet have not been able to find any solutions.

So please, is there a solution to this? if not what are my choices for workarounds?

Many thanks in advance

Sef
February 21st, 2010, 03:07 AM
What are your specs, especially your audio card?

gordonash
February 21st, 2010, 03:25 AM
Sorry my bad...

Its an Nvidia Ion and Intel atom 330 nettop. No mention of the soundcard hardware on any specs i can find but fishing about in ubuntu gives me the following...

IEC958 seems to be mentioned a lot in the sound settings and in xbmc and in alsamixer it mentions 'card: hda nvidia' and 'chip: nvidia mcp7a hdmi'

Im using spdif to my 5.1 amp and vga to the tv.

gordonash
February 21st, 2010, 04:01 PM
How can i check what drivers ubuntu is using for thew sound?

Im really new to ubuntu and not too sure how it handles drivers. If i had to guess id say it downloads most stuff automatically or uses open source drivers,the only driver i can find installed is the restricted nvidia one.

Wanted to see what version i had incase there are newer audio drivers that might fix the problem.