PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New User: Installation Error at 60% Cannot Write to Disc

Hado
February 20th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Just a while ago I decided it was time for my old computer to go back online. It is approximately 7 years old, you can view its statistics online by searching for the computer name hp pavillion a250n.

I was running windows 7 on it a while ago, however it was too intensive for the old system and ran far too slow for my liking, so I decided it was time for a change. A few of my friends have linux OS, and I decided to make the switch.

I downloaded the new version of Ubuntu after reading about many of them getting the 32 bit version of Ubuntu 9.10. I burned the image file onto a disc using astroburner and made a CD with all the data.

I stripped all of the important files from the computer onto an external HD, and then began the installation. I scanned the HD and it reported that there was an error on it. Regardless I attempted to install Ubuntu.

I prompted to format the whole HD with no partitions, everything was going well, the installation bar got to 60% and then.

BAM. Fatal error message, claiming that either the disc was not clean, damaged, or had some problem; OR my hard disc was damaged.

Well i made another CD using different burning software and tried again... I got the same error at the same point... I'm concerned that my old 120Gb HD is damaged, but it was able to run windows 7, just a while ago... so whats actually going on?

My HD WAS formatted to NTFS file format BEFORE the installation process, if that makes a difference...
Is my HD damaged and so it can't write Ubuntu on it or could something else be going on?
Would a manual (complete) format of the HD help?
If so, how do i do that?

Hado
February 20th, 2010, 11:06 PM
My friend told me to re-download Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit. He suspects that the image itself got messed up in the download process... so i'm going to try this.

I'll make another post after I've done this.

RedSingularity
February 21st, 2010, 12:31 AM
I had the exact same problem a while back. Turns out that my CD drive was damaged......the laser eye probably. Anyway i replaced the drive and the install was fine. If you have a spare drive laying around try it out.

Hado
February 21st, 2010, 03:31 AM
Thank you for the advice. I actually have two different CD drives on my computer. It didn't even occur to me, but i suppose i could attempt to use the secondary. I'm certain my burning device on my laptop, what I used to burn the images, works though, because i have made many discs like this.

I hope this works...

Hado
February 21st, 2010, 04:06 AM
Booya!
Success!!!
Now all I have to do is learn the ins and outs of linux, and setup a database for myself.

RedSingularity
February 21st, 2010, 04:15 AM
Just out of curiosity, a database for what? And do you have any software in mind?