PDA

View Full Version : Skype 2.1

RedSingularity
February 20th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Any news on a final 2.1 release? It has been beta for a few months now.

Lightstar
February 20th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Windows is up to 4.1

It's time they trash the 2.1 beta which hasn't moved in 2038434 years and just make a 4.1 for linux. Go complain, if noone complains, they have no reason to work on their linux version.

insane_alien
February 20th, 2010, 11:30 PM
version number is irrelevant.

for instance, the linux kernel has been on version 2.6 for years. the windows kernel is on 6.5 or something.

does that mean the windows kernel is better than linux? no. it meansits on a different versioning system.

RedSingularity
February 20th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Windows is up to 4.1

It's time they trash the 2.1 beta which hasn't moved in 2038434 years and just make a 4.1 for linux. Go complain, if noone complains, they have no reason to work on their linux version.

Lol it sure has felt that long.

doorknob60
February 21st, 2010, 12:50 AM
version number is irrelevant.

for instance, the linux kernel has been on version 2.6 for years. the windows kernel is on 6.5 or something.

does that mean the windows kernel is better than linux? no. it meansits on a different versioning system.

Yeah, that and the fact that the Linux interface is much cleaner, simpler and better than the Windows one (IMO).

Old Marcus
February 21st, 2010, 01:06 AM
The 2.1 beta is quite recent by Skype standards. It'll be final by the time hell freezes over methinks.

JackRock
February 21st, 2010, 01:15 AM
Windows is up to 4.1

Can't say on about how long it's been since an update occurred.

However, comparing Windows versions to Linux versions is comparing apples to bananas. Each side of any application is developed independently of each other. So while a Windows version of a program may be on version 4, the exact same functionality on the Linux side of things may be still version 2 (or even 1!). This has to do with the OS change schedule, the development needs, functionality changes (if any), and the fact that *nix versions usually start much later than their Windows counterparts.

Claus7
February 21st, 2010, 01:39 AM
Hello,

I do agree that version numbers do not say much about the features offered, yet I suppose so, that we could have had a stable version with the latest features that skype beta is offering right now. Since it is stable though, as far as I have used it, I do not mind about the beta thing. Hope more features will be included in the final version if it needs so long to be stabilized.

Regards!

RedSingularity
February 21st, 2010, 01:44 AM
The 2.1 beta is quite recent by Skype standards. It'll be final by the time hell freezes over methinks.

Hahahaha that made my night!