PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Direct tv download...?

bro brian
February 20th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I've been looking into this online TV thing called Satellite Direct TV where you get 4500 channels over the internet for a one-time fee of about $49.00 US.

It has a download from their site. I realize that it's not a good idea to venture out of either the "Ubuntu Software Center" (for Karmic) or the Synaptic Package Manager to get a download from an unknown site (re: corruption possibilities, etc.)

I did contact them - asking if their software is compatible with Ubuntu Linux 9.10 Karmic, however I would really like some feedback from "real" Ubuntu users about this. I just emailed the company my question, and it takes up to 2 days to receive a response. In the meantime, I am bringing the topic up here as well.

I do have their url link, but am hesitant to copy & paste it on this forum for fear I may be reprimanded, so I won't do that at this time. ANY input on this will be much appreciated!

sudoer541
February 20th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Most of "Satellite Tv for PC" ads are scams and illegal and I suggest you to be very careful.
If you want satellite TV and if you are in the US, you can always sub to Dish network and DirecTV. I know they are expensive but there are other cheap or even free choices to get TV.

for free TV, you can always build an over the air (OTA) antenna and put it outside of your house or apartment's balcony etc and as high as possible.
You will get good amount of channels if you have a Digital TV with ATSC tuner (check your TV's manual for that) If your TV was purchased before 2005, then, there is a chance that you have an analog TV. Thats fine, you can always buy a DTV converter box at your local best buy or other electronic store and you will get Digital channels on your analog TV.
If you live close to Buffalo you can get both American and Canadian channels, and thats a big + :D

If you want to watch TV on your PC, you can follow the same steps above by building an antenna and I think you should buy a TV tuner card or a media centre but I am not sure.

**note** if you watch local channels most of the time, then this is perfect for you.
I have an antenna outside and I catch about 25+ channels FREE and in HD.
The picture quality is far better than satellite and cable...OMG!!!:o:P

edit: I just noticed, that you live in Colorado.
You wont be able to catch Buffalo channels, but you should be able to catch you local channels and if you are lucky maybe some other channels from other states.
All the best!

bro brian
February 21st, 2010, 06:18 AM
Most of "Satellite Tv for PC" ads are scams and illegal and I suggest you to be very careful.
If you want satellite TV and if you are in the US, you can always sub to Dish network and DirecTV. I know they are expensive but there are other cheap or even free choices to get TV.

for free TV, you can always build an over the air (OTA) antenna and put it outside of your house or apartment's balcony etc and as high as possible.
You will get good amount of channels if you have a Digital TV with ATSC tuner (check your TV's manual for that) If your TV was purchased before 2005, then, there is a chance that you have an analog TV. Thats fine, you can always buy a DTV converter box at your local best buy or other electronic store and you will get Digital channels on your analog TV.
If you live close to Buffalo you can get both American and Canadian channels, and thats a big + :D

If you want to watch TV on your PC, you can follow the same steps above by building an antenna and I think you should buy a TV tuner card or a media centre but I am not sure.

**note** if you watch local channels most of the time, then this is perfect for you.
I have an antenna outside and I catch about 25+ channels FREE and in HD.
The picture quality is far better than satellite and cable...OMG!!!:o:P

edit: I just noticed, that you live in Colorado.
You wont be able to catch Buffalo channels, but you should be able to catch you local channels and if you are lucky maybe some other channels from other states.
All the best!
Well, Right now I have Dish Network. I was hoping to find someone who actually has used this product on Linux. I don't think I want to go the "antenna" route. Thanks for the input though.

Gallahhad
February 21st, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hulu is excellent.
Many programs offer full episodes for viewing online at their various websites.

I'd avoid shady deals, not only could you be dealing with possible legal issues, but identity theft could be a very real possibility when dealing with the various outfits claiming to offer up such services.

Be smart, be safe.

Gallahhad

2hot6ft2
February 21st, 2010, 06:58 AM
Well I haven't used it but I can tell you it's probably about as good as just searching for online TV shows and channels from all over the world. I've watched some and many were just garbage. The cartoons brought back memories though.

Let's see. I'm seeing prices for it at:

$33.81 Direct Satellite PC - New PC To Tv Product!

$30.53 Stream Direct Tv. Watch Over 4500 Hd Quality Channels Directly On Your Pc

$30.16 Satellite Tv For Pc! +++ Internet Stream Direct Software Tv +++.

$33.89 PC Satellite Tv Box - Satellite Tv Software. Watch Your Favourite Movies, Tv Shows, News And Sports Anytime You Want!

$33.90 Satellite Tv On The Computer.

$26.80 Premium Tv For PC. Real Software Allowing To Watch Any Free Internet Tv Channel On Any Pc Worldwide.

There's more but I'll stop at that. So if you want one let me know I have an account at the same place they do. And apparently at better prices. As long as you don't hold me responsible for whatever it is.
Seriously it's a marketplace where you can find all kinds of things to sell on your website, blogs, and the list goes on.

Yes they have nice landing pages and squeeze pages.

On that note I'm off to bed. G'night all.

bro brian
February 22nd, 2010, 06:18 AM
Well, Satellite Direct TV did answer my question in a round about way with this one paragraph: "The minimum of a 56K internet connection is required and the software is Vista compatible.
Our services are offered worldwide to anyone who has access to computer with an Internet connection."

They said nothing about Linux in their reply at all. I suppose I'll just take it to mean that their download isn't gonna work for Linux.
I do know about hulu & the such, but I was hoping to find something that was a "live" stream for the football games, etc.
Anyway, no huge deal. Ain't gonna give 'em my credit card number nor my money. Satellite Direct tv is the number one service on the internet from what I could see. It means very little if it won't work on Linux (kind of like the magicJack telephone thing).

bro brian
May 13th, 2010, 12:22 AM
i found a review of the site. it is pretty much a scam http://www.cbexposed.info
:mad:
Well then, there it is. Glad I didn't purchase it! I did, however, get turned onto this website by a friend : http://www.livestream.com/ .... It just has different live stuff broadcasted over the internet. I watched the last space shuttle launch on it, and it was actually about 5 seconds faster than the "live coverage" on the NASA channel (via Dish Network satellite)! That's right - I was watching it on both my Dish Network & Livestream.com.
I haven't looked into it much further, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to watch live football on it when football season comes around. We'll see...

Ebere
May 13th, 2010, 12:39 AM
There is no such thing as "free TV" where I live.

Since the tv stations all went completely digital... IF you have digital capability, you can get 5 channels. One in chinese. One in japanese, and 3 in spanish.

This is rural northwest US.

Getting "tv" over the internet is also not free, when you have a cap on your useage.

Giant Speck
May 13th, 2010, 02:05 AM
If you want cheap satellite television, get a friend who has satellite television and a good internet connection and ask them nicely to install a Slingbox HD Pro box in their home. Hell, even offer to buy the box for them.

bro brian
May 14th, 2010, 01:03 AM
There is no such thing as "free TV" where I live.

Since the tv stations all went completely digital... IF you have digital capability, you can get 5 channels. One in chinese. One in japanese, and 3 in spanish.

This is rural northwest US.

Getting "tv" over the internet is also not free, when you have a cap on your useage.
I have DSL. Comes through my phone line. I pay a monthly fee. Doesn't matter how much I use it, and I use it often - $40 a month. Same amount regardless if I'm online 1 hour a month or 30 days a month. I'm going to get on the internet anyway, so basically http://www.livestream.com/ is free. It costs me for the DSL line like I've said, but whatever I use it for is free.

bro brian
May 14th, 2010, 01:05 AM
If you want cheap satellite television, get a friend who has satellite television and a good internet connection and ask them nicely to install a Slingbox HD Pro box in their home. Hell, even offer to buy the box for them.
Excellent idea!

Ebere
May 14th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I have DSL. Comes through my phone line. I pay a monthly fee. Doesn't matter how much I use it, and I use it often - $40 a month. Same amount regardless if I'm online 1 hour a month or 30 days a month. I'm going to get on the internet anyway, so basically http://www.livestream.com/ is free. It costs me for the DSL line like I've said, but whatever I use it for is free.

Satelite, cable, DSL, none are available here.

The only broadband available is wireless. And it has a 5 gig cap.

I'd reach that cap pretty quickly if I streamed telivision...

Sharpel
August 11th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Hey, guys. So we tried in the end? http://deathof.net/sus.php

cariboo
August 11th, 2012, 03:42 AM
A 2 year old thread, reopened is still a 2 year old thread. Closed