PDA

View Full Version : Programmers and parasites

bunburya
February 20th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Hi all, I have a question for those who contribute to FOSS (not just Ubuntu), and in particular to programmers. But I'd like to hear everyone's opinions. (In case of tl;dr, scroll to bolded bit at the bottom of the post.)

Well, like many of you I use open source software for pretty much all my computing needs; OS, internet browsing, word processing, gaming etc etc. It is often said that one of the main advantages of FOSS is that you can reconfigure and alter it to suit your own needs, but I wouldn't know about that, not being skilled in any programming language. I love FOSS like Ubuntu, OpenOffice, etc because (as I have said elsewhere) it is attractive, quick, intuitive, affordable and accessible. Also, it tends to be accompanied by a great online community who are willing to offer support. So I do not have a background in computer programming but I still use and enjoy lots of open source software, and I'm sure there are many just like me.

On the one hand, I'm sure people are happy that open source software is being utilised by a broader range of people. However, on the other hand I know that FOSS derives much from the multi-lateral exchange that takes place between programmers when they share code. Many people who are competent programmers use open source software, and then add to existing software or write something of their own which is released to the community. Even those who don't contribute code often use their technical knowledge to provide support or the like. So there is a sense, I think, that free software must be "paid for" by contributing to open source projects or something similar. I came across this idea in a short piece on the LinuxCommand.org site, here (http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/.vhost/www.linuxcommand.org/rantings.php). I have also heard those FOSS users who do not contribute code to open source projects described as "parasites" and "leeches". The reality is that many, perhaps most, FOSS users who are not proficient in programming or computers generally will not substantially contribute to the development of FOSS (except by way of feedback, suggestions etc).

What are your opinions on this? How do you view people who use and enjoy open source software but lack the technical knowledge to help out with open source software development? Do you see any ways in which such people could contribute, and if not, how do you think that affects their (moral, not legal) entitlement to use and enjoy this software?

TL;DR: what do programmers are FOSS contributors think of people who use FOSS but lack the technical knowledge to contribute to its development?