PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 server console resolution too high

Psilin
February 20th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Hi guys,

it's not my habit to register on a forum to dive into some simple problem. But now, after searching hours on this forum and using google ), you're my final hope for this matter.
Since i upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 i have a problem with the console of my server. I'm running ( 64bit where can i check that ? ) server only, so no graphical GUI.
After starting the machine, the console goed into a high res graphical mode instead of good old 80x24.

I fiddled with Grub ( and even forced the upgrade to grub2 ), with GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD, GFXMODE, vga= rule etc, but still no luck.

The strange thing is when i revert to use kernel 2.6.28-18-server, this strange behaviour is not happening. But it does happen with the kernel that is installed by default: 2.6.31-19.server.

Output of lspci | grep VGA:

root@voyager:~# lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

What can be the problem ?

Mirko Scurk
February 20th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Exactly same problem that I'm having. Always thought that default for server should be something minimal and usual.

Psilin
February 21st, 2010, 07:58 PM
this issue even comes up on a light test system installed with wibu(!)

for now i ran out of options to adjust the framebuffer. surely hope that someone helps me to find the solution.