PDA

View Full Version : Desperately seeking an RSS app that will download articles

datababy
February 20th, 2010, 10:24 AM
For the past month, I've been desperately seeking an X-based (plain, KDE or gnome OK) RSS reader that will automatically download and store the full text of each article. I would like to be able to set the computer to download my RSS feeds sometime during the night so that I can read the news on the way to work (public transit with no internet available)

The program "Feed Circuit" does this for Maemo, but I'm looking for something that can be compiled to work under Ubuntu.

Can anyone help?

nilarimogard
February 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Doesn't Google Reader with "offline" setting work? You can basically leave it open during the night, then click the offline button and you can read them without internet access...

datababy
February 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM
Sounds tempting, but I was hoping for something simple and open-source. Does anyone know of an open-source RSS reader that will download all of the articles and let you read them when you are offline?
Doesn't Google Reader with "offline" setting work? You can basically leave it open during the night, then click the offline button and you can read them without internet access...

23meg
February 21st, 2010, 08:37 AM
Try Liferea.

datababy
February 21st, 2010, 03:48 PM
Try Liferea.

I did try that. Unfortunately, even with

Tools/Preferences/Feeds/Feed Cache Handling set to 100
and (Individual) Feed/Properties/Archive set to "Unlimited Cache"
plus (Individual) Feed/Properties/Advanced set to "Automatically download all enclosures of this feed",

I still get a DNS error whenever I try to read something offline.

Islington
February 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM
possibly akregator? I dont really use it all that much.

ssam
February 21st, 2010, 04:27 PM
The program "Feed Circuit" does this for Maemo, but I'm looking for something that can be compiled to work under Ubuntu.

have you tried compiling it in ubuntu? all the hildon libraries are available in the repos.

~sHyLoCk~
February 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
I use snownews, but that's probably not what you're looking for. :P

Firestem4
February 21st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Doesn't it depend on how the RSS feed is configured? I Know with many feeds i have like PlanetKDE the full article is downloaded, but something from TechEBlog, the RSS feed is only a snippet with a link to the main article. So in this case there is no way to really download the 'full' article, that feed is only designed to provide the link.

datababy
February 21st, 2010, 06:46 PM
Sure, if gnome-terminal can let me navigate it fully using only a stylus when I am in tablet mode.
I use snownews, but that's probably not what you're looking for. :P

bornagainpenguin
March 19th, 2010, 08:01 PM
have you tried compiling it in ubuntu? all the hildon libraries are available in the repos.

Tell me more...

--bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin
July 26th, 2010, 05:51 AM
For the past month, I've been desperately seeking an X-based (plain, KDE or gnome OK) RSS reader that will automatically download and store the full text of each article. I would like to be able to set the computer to download my RSS feeds sometime during the night so that I can read the news on the way to work (public transit with no internet available)

Give Naufrago! (http://www.gnomefiles.com/app.php/Naufrago!) a try. It has an offline mode that can be enabled in the preferences. While some feeds do not load completely (truncated with a click more link) that can be gotten around by building a new feed with a site like WizardRSS.com (http://www.wizardrss.com/)...

Good luck and I hope this helps you as much as it did me.

--bornagainpenguin