PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Change Web Link Icon ???

Crimsonjester
February 20th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know how to change the icon for a web link. When you move the shortcut to your task bar, it changes into an orange planet. I tried to change the icon which you can do, however the original that was on it in firefox is not an option. Anyone else have this prob and can tell me how to change icons... thanks in advance

bug67
February 20th, 2010, 11:52 AM
EDIT:

After having reread your question, you're wanting to change the icon for a link that you have placed in the panel, correct? If so, this procedure is the same. After you've moved your link to the panel, right click, properties, etc. BTW, we have panels in Linux. Taskbars are for ******* users. ;)

How to change a web-link's icon

1. Right click on the on the icon you want to change and select "Properties."

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/bug67/Computer/Screenshot1.png

2. In the "Properties" window, click on the image of the icon.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/bug67/Computer/Screenshot2.png

3. Navigate to the folder of the icon you want to change to. In my case, home/plackodm/Pictures/Avatars/SmileyFace.png

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/bug67/Computer/Screenshot3.png

4. Once an image is selected, it will show up in the "Properties" window.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/bug67/Computer/Screenshot4.png

5. Link's icon has been changed.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/bug67/Computer/Screenshot5.png

Hope this helps. :)

Crimsonjester
February 20th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Dude you Rock... and notice in my signiture i even put " ME " :D

thanks again.. Crimson

ubunterooster
March 10th, 2010, 04:22 PM
[In a PM to the OP I understand the problem is still there. Some little info is from the PM so it may appear that I am responding to something not said]

I think I understand the following points:
1, you are able to change the icon when it is on the desktop.
2, when you move the link to the panel it goes back to the annoying default globe.
3, the link is functional
4, but if you right-click the icon on the panel, then select properties, then click on the picture, then change it [as above shown in an above Post] it does not change.

Also what was meant by "but when I close the panel it goes back to default"?
Do you refer to "autohide" or to "remove this panel" by "closing" the panel?
Responding to the above would help me understand more exactly where the problem likely lies

Crimsonjester
March 10th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Well Rooster, I close the panel I am viewing the orange globe icon goes away with it.
I could'nt change the little icon/ orange moon thing to anything, I tried eveything.
The instructions were awsome it was a screen shot presentation complete with good humor. I still didnt get it. You guys and your sudo appt stuffs... I am just a stupid windows user man...Help me im an addict...

ubunterooster
March 10th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Do you know how to do screenshots? If you could do a screenshot of what exactly you do before each click, with the mouse hovering over where you are about to click it would help me see what you are trying say. Exact terms take quite a while to figure out and seem to be a large culprit here. [When I dipped into Linux less then two years ago I had no idea what an OS was]
All of my icons are .png files under 100kb, i.e. very small files.

Patience is the key, not knowing what to do when you start.

[unrelated but try: "apt-get moo" (without prefixing sudo) just for fun. It's a joke designed to get others used to the terminal]

J V
March 10th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I prefer aptitude moo :)

j@Jubuntu:~$ aptitude moo
There are no Easter Eggs in this program.
j@Jubuntu:~$ aptitude -v moo
There really are no Easter Eggs in this program.
j@Jubuntu:~$ aptitude -vv moo
Didn't I already tell you that there are no Easter Eggs in this program?
j@Jubuntu:~$ aptitude -vvv moo
Stop it!Continue at leasure until you hit the end :)

Crimsonjester
March 11th, 2010, 09:34 AM
SEE THATS WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT....

You guys and the sudo stuffs. I dont even know what that is.... That is too funny,
what is that programming? What are sudo apps and what do you do with them.

I dont even know how to load screen shots, i know you do the print screen thing ,but I'm at a loss on where I would go from there.

I can plug in a video card or some memory sticks but when it comes to apps and writing code... I am at a complete loss of intelligence... I'm a gamer "click and shoot" , thats all I know and will ever confess too.

ubunterooster
March 11th, 2010, 01:46 PM
SEE THATS WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT....

Okay, right now was not really the time to bring up how to harmlessly get used to the terminal (command line) and I apologize.

what is that programming? What are sudo apps and what do you do with them.

sudo apt-get/aptitude is usually how to quickly get programs. It's not even near to programming, though.
(apt-get moo or aptitude moo are only there as a joke and don't do anything other than familiarize you with using the commands)

I dont even know how to load screen shots, i know you do the print screen thing ,but I'm at a loss on where I would go from there.

Good, you can do the part most get stuck at. When you go to this thread and click the brown "New Reply" button [not "quick reply"], the text box you type in has many icons around (font type, font size, font color...) click on the paper-clip [if it does not show the paper-clip we'll change the box] and that launches a file browser. Uploads are easy beyond that unless the file is to large, in which case you may need to use GIMP to reduce the size.

Crimsonjester
March 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
test

Crimsonjester
March 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
duuuude epic

ubunterooster
March 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM
test successful

Crimsonjester
March 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM
ok whats next

ubunterooster
March 12th, 2010, 04:52 PM
ok whats next
Just do a "print screen" before each click of the mouse, save those files, then upload them here.

( For a while I used link-shortcuts, but now I use several different web browsers each with different home pages. Not a direct answer, but an alternative. )

Crimsonjester
March 14th, 2010, 12:42 AM
ahhhh thats a great idea.. now i can have many browsers with different home pages. can i change the different icons to keep them down in the panel bar at the bottom of the desk top so when i click on a certain icon picture it will goto to that particular home page? for instantance the little ubuntu circle togo to the ubuntu forums and a little icon of yoda to go to the Jedi forums ,and ofcourse a Lego penguin to come to Cafe games. I like that option in windows, I have quick links in my task bar that I single click to go where I want. I'm trying to figure this out so I can make the complete switch over to Ubuntu. Right now I'm over at my sisters house installing Ubuntu on her comp just trying to jump out of the the monopoly game of that other operating system.

ubunterooster
March 14th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Keeping in mind that you can only have one home page(s) per browser yes. [ I use konqueror, epiphany, Chrome, Opera, and something about... a burning wolf? lol]
Just change those icons to what you want.

Spread the FREEDOM! Way to go!

Crimsonjester
March 15th, 2010, 09:07 AM
BTW, what can you tell me about mail. I'm trying to get all my sisters mail in one place.. what do you use?

ubunterooster
March 15th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I [along with two-thirds of the community] use thunderbird. It works easily with comcast, aol, aim, gmail, and some others

Crimsonjester
March 16th, 2010, 04:19 AM
i wish emesene had mail attached to it

ubunterooster
March 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
It would be nice...

I use pidgin [and plan to name our puppy that] for IM. I'm don't think there is anynway to get mail AND IM in one place......yet

ubunterooster
March 16th, 2010, 03:54 PM
It would be nice...

I use pidgin [and plan to name our puppy that] for IM. I'm don't think there is anynway to get mail AND IM in one place......yet
Or go to the thunderbird plugin page and look up windows live messenger, I think the one is called "Yokoo" or similar [it's named after the author]. Give one a try.

Crimsonjester
March 17th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I had my sister uninstall the evolution and install thnderbird I am waiting back to see how it went.. I'll keep you up to date