PDA

View Full Version : what do you do at home when you're feeling bored?

Woolio1
February 20th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Happens to everybody. Some times we're alone at home, there's nothing important that has to be made by the time being. Nothing special to watch in the TV, the Internet line (or the pc) is down and it's still early to go to bed. What do you do then, people for the spare time?

I make GTK themes.

sandyd
February 20th, 2010, 04:58 AM
play WoW/Crysis.
Lots of it.

-------
just kidding.
Although I do play WoW and crysis, im not an addict.

I normally help on the forums, or tinker with my computer until something breaks if I don't feel like heading out that day.
Today is one of those days.
And I succeeded in breaking mac os x.](*,)](*,)](*,)

and im also wondering why the bang-head-against-wall animations above dont work in chrome.
or chromiumos.

PupSpark
February 20th, 2010, 05:01 AM
I sleep. Or surf the internets.

steveneddy
February 20th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Since I live out on the road for more than 300 days out of the year, when I actually get to go home I go outside, go see friends, play with the GF's dog, cook, exercise, wash my personal vehicle, play with the grandkids - you know, just the normal stuff.

Woolio1
February 20th, 2010, 06:24 AM
play WoW/Crysis.
Lots of it.

-------
just kidding.
Although I do play WoW and crysis, im not an addict.

I normally help on the forums, or tinker with my computer until something breaks if I don't feel like heading out that day.
Today is one of those days.
And I succeeded in breaking mac os x.](*,)](*,)](*,)

and im also wondering why the bang-head-against-wall animations above dont work in chrome.
or chromiumos.

I'm using Chrome. I can see them just fine.

arnab_das
February 20th, 2010, 06:33 AM
twitter, facebook.

mostly mafia wars ans stuff.

macaz1
February 20th, 2010, 06:40 AM
destroy the windows 7 master boot record, hehe

lonerjoe
February 20th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I have a teenage son so there's not a lot of time to get bored. We're usually out on snowmobiles or ATVs. Or we'll have a few games of hockey (even though I suck). Gotta enjoy it while I'm still "sorta cool". Getting the telescope out is good for those late nights when nobody's up.

fatcrab
February 20th, 2010, 06:48 AM
pop a top and shoot some pool.

RiceMonster
February 20th, 2010, 06:56 AM
destroy the windows 7 master boot record, hehe

Either you don't get bored often, or you have a very strange hobby

NightwishFan
February 20th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I suppose this situation would include when I am unable to compose music as well. Personally, I like to take walks unless it is very bad weather outside. I also like reading with some music on, perhaps with a light meal such as a sandwich and tea. I also have some DVDs of my favourite movies or animated series for times when I have nothing new to watch.

I strongly advise you find something constructive to do when you are bored. Perhaps something that can benefit you or someone else later when you are busier. Such as minor chores or a small project.

NightwishFan
February 20th, 2010, 07:22 AM
To download Chrome:
http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html

vrkalak
February 20th, 2010, 07:28 AM
When, I'm home ... I am almost always on-line.

I visit several Forums daily and do a fair share of Distro-Hopping.

I also, work at my business/profession on the PC ... so I am on the computer, most days, from 10 to 12 hours a day.

mrhippieguy
February 20th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Go out for a run(especially when it's nice and cold), then trip through some concerts on youtube, then, feeling inspired, I go do something on blender...

...or I make coffee. Depends on the time of day, and the weather.

nmccrina
February 20th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I try a new Distro/OS, do some coding, or read UF. Every month or so I get EXTRA bored and read 50+ pages of Failblog and /b/ (I never comment there, it is just schadenfreude, or morbidity (morbidness?)), which are strangely addicting. At those times my life really starts looking like a Porcupine Tree song, and it scares me. :o

Khakilang
February 20th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Play DOTA, watch DVD and read Linux book and magazine.

obithius
February 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Warhammer 40k,or other wargames. I mostly just paint the models these days.

CharlesA
February 20th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I play Beyond Good and Evil - or Fallout1/2/Tactics/3.

bunburya
February 20th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I'm currently trying to learn Python, so that. Or play some games (inter alia OpenTTD, Wesnoth, Armagetron), or read.

dinamic1
February 20th, 2010, 11:59 PM
i'm noming a pear X-)

om nom nom

koshatnik
February 21st, 2010, 12:02 AM
Happens to everybody. Some times we're alone at home, there's nothing important that has to be made by the time being. Nothing special to watch in the TV, the Internet line (or the pc) is down and it's still early to go to bed. What do you do then, people for the spare time?

I have kids. Spare time is no longer relevant.

Berk
February 21st, 2010, 12:11 AM
No internet, nothing on the TV (moot point as out aerial doesn't work), still too early to go to sleep?

Depends, either hunt through my book cases and dig out something I've not read for a while (and cry at the fact the rest of my books aren't in my current house), or turn the PS2 or Wii on and have some gaming time, either solo or with my girl.
If the weather is really good we'll probably end up out on an evening walk and see if we can pick up any bats on her bat detector.

gymophett
February 21st, 2010, 12:17 AM
I usually screw up my computer.

sports fan Matt
February 21st, 2010, 02:09 AM
Sleep.

markp1989
February 21st, 2010, 02:17 AM
install set up a few virtual pc for experementing

see how small i can get a functioning (for my needs) arch/ubuntu install

see how quickely i can criple a virtual pcs installation.

one thing i am planning to do soon, i have a spare pc, im planning to get a friend to set it up and see if i can break in to it (all in local networks so there are no angry isps) to help teach me about server security.

Kai69
February 21st, 2010, 02:33 AM
Go for a bike ride :P

NightwishFan
February 21st, 2010, 04:08 AM
Go for a bike ride :P

+1 I am going to buy a mountain bike after the snow melts.

venator260
February 21st, 2010, 04:50 AM
Clean
Smoke a pipe or two (tobacco)
visit forums
(when daylight and nice outside) go for a walk

I don't yet have many hobbies suited to an urban environment.

Gallahhad
February 21st, 2010, 04:59 AM
Beer and vintage Metal.

SmittyJensen
February 21st, 2010, 05:05 AM
Sleep.
GREAT answer.

i love sleep. :D

plurworldinc
February 21st, 2010, 05:22 AM
watch new movies, catch up on the shows I missed on Hulu, farmville, and enjoy and craft beer with a fine cigar while reading tech books\\:D/

Lightstar
February 21st, 2010, 05:38 AM
Secondlife
Workout
Tai Chi
Girlfriend
Video Games (though I haven't played much lately)

I did not write them in any priority order :P

Kdar
February 21st, 2010, 05:42 AM
Replying to this thread, I guess.(but this is not in general :) )
Hint: I am bored now.

sandyd
February 21st, 2010, 08:14 PM
oh, and if I get bored enough, and have enough time, I might sometimes see if I can compose a new song :)
which is what Im doing right now on a sunday afternoon.

The Real Dave
February 21st, 2010, 09:36 PM
I'd love to say work out, but I don't, I'm lazy :) I try out new software, tinker with what I have, use Virtualbox, surf the Net, rip a few computers apart, build new ones for people, and generally just muck about with PCs. I also text my girlfriend, play Wii, write blogs, watch some Dexter or Supernatural, and eat like a pig :) Thank god for a high metabolic rate :)

xpod
February 21st, 2010, 09:47 PM
Bored at home? Chance would be a fine thing.

Barrucadu
February 21st, 2010, 09:58 PM
Read, sleep, hack. Not necessarily in that order.

chriswyatt
February 21st, 2010, 11:30 PM
What I do when I'm bored isn't suitable for a family forum like this :P

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 22nd, 2010, 12:00 AM
If the Internet isn't working, I may play with a server configuration; such as, Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud.

If I don't have what I need already downloaded then I will do something with woodcrafts; such as, make the grandchildren wooden toys. I have made wooden cars, trucks, trains, doll cribs, rubber band guns, rocking horses, an so fourth.

I'm proud to say that after using drill presses, band saws, scroll saws, routers, joiners, etc., I still have all of my fingers intact. :D

sandyd
February 22nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
If the Internet isn't working, I may play with a server configuration; such as, Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud.

If I don't have what I need already downloaded then I will do something with woodcrafts; such as, make the grandchildren wooden toys. I have made wooden cars, trucks, trains, doll cribs, rubber band guns, rocking horses, an so fourth.

I'm proud to say that after using drill presses, band saws, scroll saws, routers, joiners, etc., I still have all of my fingers intact. :Dim terrified of power tools. all of them.

mamamia88
February 22nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
videogames

Tristam Green
February 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
#1 - Movies and tv shows with the wife.
#2 - Guild Wars (usually with the wife)
#3 - Housework. Lots of it to be done, all the time.
#4 - PS3 gaming.
#5 - Wii gaming.
#6 - Nintendo DS gaming.
#7 - Facebook/Pandora/browsing.

whiskeylover
February 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
Fishing, when weather permits.

Soon its going to be a lot of nappy changes. So, not sure when I'm going to find any free time.

icyzer
February 22nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
Mmm, if there is internet I usually start installing stuff on Ubuntu to end up with a ****** up Ubuntu installation. After that I reinstall Ubuntu and configure it again :)

Otherwise I try to organize my room, which then becomes an even bigger mess. Or I start breaking stuff, with the excuse I'm going to make something better out of it. And I watch downloaded tv shows, so that's an option to. Though that's not only when bored but almost all the time :)

HermanAB
February 22nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Chatroulette.com

Aaarrgghh my eyes, my eyes!!!

;)

samalex
February 23rd, 2010, 09:20 PM

There's no time to feel bored at my place with a 2yo toddler running around :)

Sam