PDA

View Full Version : Netflix kills all hope for Instant viewing on Linux

Ewingo401
February 20th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I can't find an "official" link on this. But this guy's blog has always been an excellent source for legit Netflix news.

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2010/02/netflix-we-dont-have-plans-to-release-a-general-linux-player.html

Ric_NYC
February 20th, 2010, 02:00 AM
http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices

Ewingo401
February 20th, 2010, 02:09 AM
http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices

Yes, there are lots of fine alternatives out there. I just think it's pretty lame of them to have streaming available on Windows and Mac but not Linux. There had been rumors going around that Linux support was coming "eventually" but now we know it's never going to happen.

jrusso2
February 20th, 2010, 02:15 AM
With no DRM its not possible for them to provide it.

purgatori
February 20th, 2010, 02:21 AM
No great loss for end-users.

Gallahhad
February 20th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Too bad, but I have Windows, so no big deal really.
Just would be nice not to have to reboot, or boot up a VM to "Watch it Now" /shrug ah well.

solitaire
February 20th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Someone must have been upset at this news...
As netflix website is currently down for Unsceduled Maintenence
(or as it's known to all BoFH "Boss was very annoying to me on a Friday Afternoon, so I ran the Windows updates on the main server till it BSoD then Left for the Pub")

gletob
February 20th, 2010, 03:47 AM
They won't be getting my business, I just stick with my current provider...erm

[COUGH]torrents[COUGH]

Twitch6000
February 20th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Uhmm no where does it kill all hope for netflix on linux.

Infact it even gives hope talking about how moonlight might get it working..

PhilGil
February 20th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Are there other companies that provide the same services as Netflix (DVD's by mail and streaming content) that are Linux friendly? Perhaps Linux users should take their business to a company that is willing to accommodate them.

Islington
February 20th, 2010, 04:20 AM

The drm stack will not be included into the moonlight according to a comment made by miguel on his blog.

solitaire
February 20th, 2010, 04:23 AM

The *BLUE* bit was a quote from Netflix saying "no linux player for laptop/desktop", the other bits about moonlight was added by the blogger.

so their will be NO OFFICIAL software for Linux, only a Windows Silverlight version...

virusiidx
February 20th, 2010, 05:12 AM
No big deal, IMO. There's many other ways to enjoy Netflix streaming. Personally, I love using the PS3 to stream movies. 360 users get this as well I believe.

doorknob60
February 20th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Just get a PS3 or a 360 or a Wii or anything else to play it. Would you rather watch movies on your TV or your computer....exactly. If I had Netflix I'd rarely watch on my computer and just use my PS3. But they should port it if possible, but as I understand the DRM for it just doesn't work (is that Microsoft's fault? maybe).

Ewingo401
February 20th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Just get a PS3 or a 360 or a Wii or anything else to play it. Would you rather watch movies on your TV or your computer....exactly. If I had Netflix I'd rarely watch on my computer and just use my PS3. But they should port it if possible, but as I understand the DRM for it just doesn't work (is that Microsoft's fault? maybe).

I do watch a lot of streaming netflix titles through my PS3, and of course I'd rather watch on my TV than my computer. But what about when I'm out of town? It'd be great to be able to catch a movie or a couple shows on my laptop like Windows and Mac users. But because of my choice of OS that isn't possible.

qalimas
February 20th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I don't game much on my computer, which helps me not needing Windows at all.

But I did buy a 360, and it does Netflix.

Moral of the story: if you play highly up to date games, you also can watch Netflix.

Frak
February 20th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Bad move Netflix, they just lost at LEAST 0.02% of revenue from that statement.

Ric_NYC
February 20th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Support Linux:

Roku is the manufacturer for the first Netflix streaming receiver box. The NXP-powered device runs Linux[3], costs $79.99 and provides unlimited access to Netflix's streaming catalog, Amazon Video on Demand, and MLB.TV. (Wikipedia)

Yes, Linux can do it.
Netflix must be in bed with Microsoft. If you don't play video games you won't waste your money buying Xbox, PS3, Wii.

Roku is cheaper than other devices and can also be used with Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/rokusteps

Time to start fighting back the Microsoft employees posting in this forum.

Frak
February 20th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Netflix must be in bed with Microsoft. If you don't play video games you won't waste your money buying Xbox, PS3, Wii.

It's because Silverlight is an excellent platform to be streaming videos with. It was optimized for content delivery and playback, can ramp video quality on-the-fly (NBCOlympics does this), and is much less resource intensive than Flash on Windows and Mac OS X. Furthermore, it can help retain DRM, which is beneficial for content deliverers.

Since Linux has such a tiny marketshare, Netflix has had no interest in developing a Linux compatible option. It would be a deficit goal.

Besides, if you're really wanting a Linux device that can play Netflix, the Boxee Box (http://www.boxee.tv/box) is available. I'm about to buy one.

:cry: Aww, you found me out. Man, we were about to buy out Canonical, but now we can never succeed.

Ric_NYC
February 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
It's because Silverlight is an excellent platform to be streaming videos with. It was optimized for content delivery and playback, can ramp video quality on-the-fly (NBCOlympics does this), and is much less resource intensive than Flash on Windows and Mac OS X. Furthermore, it can help retain DRM, which is beneficial for content deliverers.
deficit goal.

Besides, if you're really wanting a Linux device that can play Netflix, the Boxee Box (http://www.boxee.tv/box) is available. I'm about to buy one.

:cry: Aww, you found me out. Man, we were about to buy out Canonical, but now we can never succeed.

Hahahaha...

That Boxee Box is more expensive than the Roku device. Can I access Amazon Video on Demand with it?

phrostbyte
February 20th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Since Linux has such a tiny marketshare, Netflix has had no interest in developing a Linux compatible option. It would be a deficit goal.

I wouldn't surprised if Netflix is getting kickbacks from Microsoft on this. Microsoft already spends a great deal of money promoting Silverlight amongst Windows developers in general.

Frak
February 20th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't surprised if Netflix is getting kickbacks from Microsoft on this. Microsoft already spends a great deal of money promoting Silverlight amongst Windows developers in general.
Wouldn't blame them if they did. Money's money.

KiwiNZ
February 20th, 2010, 07:25 PM

Doesn't help please cease this type of posting .

Frak
February 20th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hahahaha...

That Boxee Box is more expensive than the Roku device. Can I access Amazon Video on Demand with it?
All you have to do is create a plugin for it. That's why I like Boxee so much.

Ric_NYC
February 20th, 2010, 07:32 PM
All you have to do is create a plugin for it. That's why I like Boxee so much.

Good. Linux is flexible and open. (Breaking News... :) )

Frak
February 20th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Good. Linux is flexible and open. (Breaking News... :) )
Talking about Boxee, not Linux. Sorry if I confused you.

Ric_NYC
February 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Talking about Boxee, not Linux. Sorry if I confused you.

I was talking about the plugin you said you can create. Sorry if I confused you.

Anyway. I think Roku is a good (and cheap) choice.

Frak
February 20th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I was talking about the plugin you said you can create. Sorry I if confused you.

OK, but Boxee is fully cross platform. It has nothing to do with Linux. Sorry if you get confused so easily.

Ric_NYC
February 20th, 2010, 07:43 PM
OK, but Boxee is fully cross platform. It has nothing to do with Linux. Sorry if you get confused so easily.

I thought you were talking about the Boxee Box (the hardware running Linux).

Frak
February 20th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I thought you were talking about the Boxee Box (the hardware running Linux).
The hardware does run Linux, but the plugins are built using Python plugins through the Boxee interface. They work on any platform that runs Boxee and has a working Python interpreter.

Ric_NYC
February 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM
The hardware does run Linux, but the plugins are built using Python plugins through the Boxee interface. They work on any platform that runs Boxee and has a working Python interpreter.

Now you're confusing yourself:

Besides, if you're really wanting a Linux device that can play Netflix, the Boxee Box is available. I'm about to buy one. Frak

The subject was: Linux devices and Netflix (Amazon etc).

Frak
February 20th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Two unrelated quotes.
Calm down, have a snack and think about what you just said.

squilookle
February 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I've never heard of this Netflix thing, but I am on Lovefilm.com, which, from the quick glance I just took at the Netflix website, seems to be similar.

You keep a list of films you want to see on the website, and they send them out to you two at a time (that depends on your package) and you watch them and post them back.

If I want to watch a film there and then that love film haven't sent, I use Filmflex on Virgin Media.

zekopeko
February 20th, 2010, 10:39 PM
As I understand it:

Netflix is using Silverlight PLAYER to stream to the desktop. The video they stream is a WMV that is DRM-ed. Roku doesn't run Mono/Moonlight but simply has a decoding chip for the DRM (or does it in software; not sure which). Roku can do it because they licensed the DRM stack from MS so they know how to implement it.

You could get Netflix streaming if somebody paid the division of MS dealing with DRM a huge amount of money, or if Netflix could implement some DRM stack that is platform agnostic. Moonlight could easily implement this if they had access to the DRM stack/documentation.

Microsoft employees are welcome to post in this forums if they have questions about Ubuntu or simply would like to talk on some other topic in the appropriate sub-forums.
Remember that posting here is a privilege, not a right. Be respective of other members no matter who they work for. It shouldn't even matter who they work for if they have a valid point.

kreppnar
March 12th, 2010, 01:48 AM
So Wait, Hold on a Sec. The Damn Boxee runs a Linux OS that brings Netflix to your TV. So why cant a Linux OS on a Desktop Computer, stream Netlfix? Explain that to me.

Either we got people who just dont know how to program for linux, or people who just get paid not to.

-Kreppnar-

samh785
March 12th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I understand that us Linux users don't make up a large portion of the market but we are A portion of the market. Why any company would willingly ignore part of their customer base is beyond stupid.
It's not insane if they determine that the costs don't outweight the benifits. Screw economics, I just want my netflix. :D

Microsoft employees are welcome to post in this forums if they have questions about Ubuntu or simply would like to talk on some other topic in the appropriate sub-forums.
Remember that posting here is a privilege, not a right. Be respective of other members no matter who they work for. It shouldn't even matter who they work for if they have a valid point.
+1