PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Heads Up Acer Users

xeclipsex
February 20th, 2010, 12:26 AM
To anyone with an acer aspire series laptop. BEFORE you install ubuntu or any linux os remember to update your flash bios... doing so will save you from a heck of a struggle to get linux working correctly. for the past week i have been struggling with my network as well as booting issues and the only solution i have found is updating your bios in windows. so if you dont mind bill gates' software a dual boot is a decent idea however dual booting isnt a great idea on a netbook. (for spacial issues). but at least if you can run a flash bios update. have been working with a couple people on solving the issue for those who A) have no clue what to do. B) have tried forums and gotten random answers that never solve the issue. C) have made the same error of judgement to stick it to bill and just delete windows vista/7 if u have done one or more of these reply to thread and let me know what is going on with issues for your machine such as boot issues, network issues, and apparently some graphic issues to for radeon users. trying to find a way to flash the bios post windows.:popcorn: sit back and enjoy your popcorn while you wait... u might need a couple bags.

racingronnie
February 20th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I am installing on an Acer Aspire Ulta-slim Desktop. I was dual booting and just now I tried to reboot after doing some Windows 7 Home Premium updates and grub is damaged or missing. I haven't started to try to fix it yet. System will no longer boot to windows or ubuntu. I will keep you posted on my progress!

racingronnie
February 20th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Followed the instructions at:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

reinstalled grub and all is working once more!

garbx
January 2nd, 2011, 11:23 PM
Hi ):P

I have an Acer Aspire 3690. Yesterday I finally got up the nerve and killed vista (I installed Ubuntu - whatever the latest version is as of yesterday - got it from the official website).

The installation finished and the computer restarted, and restarted, and restarted, ad nauseum. Eventually (and I don't remember why), I decided that the problem was because of the wireless drivers (or lack thereof) and decided to hook it up via ethernet. I then booted into recovery mode and had it repair. I re-downloaded all sorts of things and finally I got it working again. Once I was in, I was notified about the third party drivers for my wireless and I installed it.

Now the problem is that the system restarts for no apparent reason - sometimes every few minutes, sometimes every hour... I'm not sure what to do.

I've read some threads with similar issues (not Acer-specific) and the BIOS upgrade was recommended. However - I no longer have windows.

Any suggestions? Will I need to reinstall windows to do this?

Thank you!

:KS

tandemrider
April 3rd, 2011, 07:47 PM
Now, I thought this thread might help solve my problem, but it turns out that it does not.

I'm almost completely new to Ubuntu. I have successfully installed Ubuntu on my wife's desktop, and she likes it a lot. Now I wanted to install it onto my new netbook instead of Windows 7 Starter, but I can't get things to work.

Here's my situation:
Acer Aspire One 533 netbook

I put Ubuntu Netbook edition on a USB stick as decribed under http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download.

Once I boot from USB I get s short syslinux 4.03-message, and then a black screen reading Intel(r) PineView PCI Accelerated SVGA BIOS Build Number: 1818 PC 14.34 etc. etc. Everything stops right there.

I have upgraded my BIOS from 1.02 to 1.15 using the files supplied on the Acer website. That has worked, but I still can't get system to boot from USB - thus no Ubuntu for me! :confused:

I have also retried everything having used UNetbootin to create the bootable USB this time, but to no avail.

Thanks for any help yo can provide!

Tandemrider

Dutch70
April 3rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hi and welcome to UF,

If you want to get help with your particular situation. There are plenty of people here to help, but you'll need to start your own thread with a descriptive title.

I strongly recommend reading this first...
How to get your support questions answered as quickly as possible (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475)