PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation trouble

rhlongo
February 19th, 2010, 10:07 PM
This is my first Linux experience, I am trying to install 9.10 on an old compaq M700 laptop. System boots from the disk, gives me the options, I chose install and off it goes. After 5-10 minutes the screen goes blank or there is a small ball in the center of the screen and the installation just goes on and on. I can hear the CD being accessed, but it never finishes, I let it run for several hours and tried it more then once. I down loaded and burned a disk twice to try and eliminate a bad burn and burned at the 4x speed. Open to suggestions? Thanks!

darkod
February 19th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Use the Try Ubuntu option first to see if it will run the live desktop on your hardware. This would usually be hardware related.

pianoblack
February 19th, 2010, 10:15 PM
If you cant get the normal live cd to work, then try the "alternate cd", on the download page as an option. The problem could also be caused by ubuntu trying to suspend, so try wiggling the cursor from time to time.

rhlongo
February 19th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did try the "Try" option with the same results. How long would you figure an install should take, approx? I have watched it for awhile and hit the space bar and some keys, but after awhile nothing happens in reaction to my actions, but the install continues, I think. I'll try the alternate and report back!

rhlongo
February 19th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Not sure what to try as an "Alternate"?

darkod
February 19th, 2010, 10:36 PM
If the "Try" option was not able to load the live desktop, most probably you can expect the same even if you manage to install.

The Alternate Install CD suggested has text based installer which can sometimes help. Then once it's installed it might work OK.

But it all depends what the problem is.