PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to Ubuntu - Installation Issue?

welshsteve
February 19th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hi, I've had a laptop installed with Ubuntu for a while, but for one reason or another have only just got round to learning it and start using it regularly. I'm now told there is a new verison available, but when I run through the upgrade, I get the following message.

Upgrading may negatively affect your desktop effects as well as performance in games and other graphically intensive programs.

This computer is currently using the AMD 'fglrx' graphics driver. No version of this driver is available that works with your hardware in Ubuntu 9.04.

Is it ok to upgrade do you think? I'm not very good at this sort of thing.

darkod
February 19th, 2010, 09:25 PM
If you remained this long with the older version, you might as well wait for the new 10.04 LTS coming out late April. And first use the Try Ubuntu option to try it on your hardware, before upgrading.
Also, a clean install is much better and recommended, than an upgrade. You should consider that too.

welshsteve
February 19th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Hi Darko, thanks for that. I will look out for version 10 in April. As I said I'm new to Ubuntu, having been a Windows user for many years. Indeed I work as an IT Manager in Windows environment, so Ubuntu is a little new to me, but I'm beginning to find my way around it. I'm liking it a lot so far, and as I'm not a big gamer, I can see myself using it a lot more as time goes on.