PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Unbuntu?

BETATEST
February 19th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Just wondering how people deployed Ubuntu on their systems.

Me, personally, I now have it as a VMWare session on my Windows 7 laptop.

Not that I have anything against Ubuntu (or Linux in general) being the Primary Host OS ... but there were just so many quirks between 9.10 and my laptop that I never experienced on my desktop.

I know, it's due a lot in part of the rigid proprietary nature of laptop hardware vs. a more flexible nature of desktop hardware. On my desktop, I could swap out easily to a video card that Ubuntu loved ... whereas that's not really possible with my laptop. So, on my laptop, I just leveled the playing field with VMWare.

Some people complain about lag, overhead, how it requires to have a really beefed up machine and the cost of that, how Ubuntu just doesn't respond as fast in a Virtual environment, and how they want off Windows completely. I've never really encountered slow problems myself and I only have a 2 gig system ... but the way I see it, VMWare made Ubuntu "Just Work" again on my laptop when before ... Ubuntu 9.10 just had me and others banging our heads.

Where I work, it's a Microsoft Only shop. I have a company laptop. Even if Ubuntu had installed peachy keen on the laptop, new corporate IT policies would have required it to be removed anyway. (In all fairness, their equipment and their rules.) So, I boot up Windows 7 - and then start my Ubuntu 9.10 session. I can work in both environments simultaneously. I'm happy, company is happy, Ubuntu is happy - it's a win-win-win.

Now if I could just get a OSX on there too - I'd be happier than a Koala Bear with an entire Eucalyptus forest to itself.

SuperSonic4
February 19th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I roll with arch

whiskeylover
February 19th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Dual boot.
W7 at work. U9.10 at home.

ratcheer
February 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM
My son got a new Macbook Pro to take to college. So, I got his 5+ yr old Pentium 4 XP PC as a spare. I just repartitioned the disk drive and installed Ubuntu all by itself.

Tim

dondiego2
February 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I have Ubuntu and XP at home on my desktop on two different drives although I can't remember the last time I booted into XP.

At work I have a Dell laptop under the same restrictions you have. The only issue is that they let me go and I am done at the end of this month - looking for a job by the way. So I installed Ubuntu on the HD but I can't get out past the firewall for updates or get the terminal to see the web. I get out through firefox by putting the proxy server in for the company. Of course it still blocks me from certain websites. I tried setting the whole OS to use that proxy but it doesn't work as of yet.

I will let the IT guys figure out how to remove it in a another week when I'm gone :p

Phrea
February 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I have two dedicated pc's, one is running Ubuntu, the other Vista.

whiskeylover
February 19th, 2010, 09:28 PM
The only options in the poll are either Ubuntu only or some variation of Ubuntu/Windows in Virtualbox.

Why no dual boot option? Most people here dual boot, I think.

BETATEST
February 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I installed Ubuntu on the HD but I can't get out past the firewall for updates or get the terminal to see the web ... I will let the IT guys figure out how to remove it in a another week when I'm gone :p

Yeah, forgot to mention about the firewall/Internet gateway proxy issue. Had the same problem - locked into MAC/Reserved DHCP IP address and Userid for access out. Wasn't always that way, until some intern did something really stupid one summer by downloading GIGs of pirated software and movies to his desktop (as if the telecom guys weren't going to notice the 7x24 traffic spike to his workstation - duh!). Then the restriction went in. Understandable. And getting Internet Access at work was only if you needed it to conduct company business.

Using the virtualization of Ubuntu and running through my host solved that.

As for your IT guys dondiego2, I used to do hardware configurations in another life. They'll fdisk and just reimage. :D It's amazing what some people leave on their systems though when they go or are unexpectedly terminated. They fired a secretary (okay, they're called Administrative Assistants now ...) where I worked one morning. But they had a replacement coming that afternoon, so I couldn't reimage. What you normally did in that case is do a quick clean and sweep of personal crap off the drive and create a new user profile. Then later schedule a reimage during off hours. Happened to skim through her harddrive which was set to show thumbnails ... woah. Nudie pics of her and another woman, enjoying themselves, in a couple dozen folders on the root. Not to be prejudiced or anything, but it was right before lunch and this secretary ... to say she was a "big" girl ... wouldn't even come close. I had to skip lunch that day. ;) And the next couple days. I still have nightmares.

BETATEST
February 19th, 2010, 09:46 PM

Hmm - yeah, I should have mentioned dual boot. The Ubuntu/Linux masses I know (those evil friends of mine who slipped me the elixir of open source freedom from which I never looked back ... heh heh) - they haven't dual-booted since the early Windows XP days and considered it an unnecessary pain. I don't even mention it anymore or I have whatever is handy near them, thrown at me. (Good thing they're not really big baseball or bowling fans ... getting whacked by a Volley ball, Soccer ball, or Bill Gates dog chew toy isn't too bad.) Especially now with options like the LIVE CD and Virtualization available and more reliable now. Personally, back in the day when I used to dual boot OS/2 Warp and Windows ... I didn't much care for it. Especially when jumping back and forth between the two operating systems was a essentially a shut down and restart.

But, yeah, for many it's still the only viable option. My bad! Just for you whiskeylover, I'll throw a rubber chicken at myself for being so inconsiderate. :D

2hot6ft2
February 19th, 2010, 09:54 PM
The only options in the poll are either Ubuntu only or some variation of Ubuntu/Windows in Virtualbox.

Exactly. Not a very representative pole. I triple boot. No VM's all HD installs.

The Toxic Mite
February 19th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Ubuntu only at my home PC, all the other computers I use run on Windows XP/7

overdrank
February 19th, 2010, 10:12 PM
On topic please and remember the The preferred tone and tenor in the Cafe (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1405390)

Tibuda
February 19th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I have voted "Ubuntu as the only OS", but actually I use only another Linux distro.

squilookle
February 19th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I only have Arch on my laptop, which is my main computer.

I have another old computer that I use as a web server, for developing/testing stuff. That one runs Ubuntu 8.04 server.

Shibblet
February 20th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Dual Boot

Windows for games.
Ubuntu for EVERYTHING else.

Grifulkin
February 20th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I don't Ubuntu, I Arch.

audiomick
February 20th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Two computers, Ubuntu only on the desktop at home, Vista only on the Laptop that is there to be taken to work. None of the programs I need as a PA sound engineer have a chance of working on wine or in a virtual anything. The interfaces are too specific, it is not worth the effort.

Stan_1936
February 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Just wondering how people deployed Ubuntu on their systems.......

I roll with arch

Thank goodness Ubuntu does not have a single alphabet in common with that name you used.

llawwehttam
February 20th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I don't like multibooting so I have more than 1 computer. I use ubuntu on my laptop, arch on my desktop, freeNAS on my backup server and debian on my main/stable machine.

zakshdw
February 20th, 2010, 01:06 AM
i run my ubuntu inside my windows xp professional, but i really use ubuntu more than my windows haha, so i was thinking of making it my primary OS but i dont see any problem with running ubuntu as it is, inside windows XP . anyone got any reasons NOT to run it inside?:popcorn::guitar:

dearingj
February 20th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I triple boot Mac OS X, Windows XP (soon to be replaced with 7), and Ubuntu. Ubuntu's the only one I use often.

Kenny_Strawn
February 20th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I have a Win7 VM on my desktop ONLY because my iPod couldn't update or sync without it. When I turn 18 and escape from my parents' household (or when my iPod goes kaput, whichever comes first) I will get an Android device (either a phone or a media player) and ditch both my iPod and my WinBloze disc at the same time.

beetleman64
February 20th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I run Ubuntu with a guest ReactOS in VirtualBox. I also have an older PC running OpenSolaris.

djsroknrol
February 20th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I multi boot (Ubuntu/Vista/Dreamlinux/PCLOS) but Vmware Windows in Ubuntu so I can access certain office programs I need...Not all that often, I'm happy to report.

:popcorn:

Zoot7
February 20th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Multiboot.

Debian Squeeze, Slackware 13 and Windows XP on my laptop.
Debian Stable, Windows 7 and XP on my desktop.

Vignesh S
February 20th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Desktop:
Ubuntu 9.10 with Windows 7 as guest in VMware Workstation

Laptop:
Dual Boot Windows 7 with Ubuntu 9.10. Most of the time, I'm in 9.10 thanks to Crossover letting Office 2007 work :D

One day, I might be able to get Google Android (more commonly known as Android-x86) working on my lappy :). Till then :P...

Ric_NYC
February 20th, 2010, 03:20 AM
"Do U'buntu?"

"Yes, I do!"

=D>=D>=D>

ETbluez
February 20th, 2010, 03:24 AM
I use to dual boot but vista was like a hang nail no reason to keep it.
ubuntu only user.

Kenny_Strawn
February 20th, 2010, 04:37 AM
I use to dual boot but vista was like a hang nail no reason to keep it.
ubuntu only user.

I used to record TV in Vista, but now that I have DirecTV, that ain't going to happen for quite some time.

And believe me: I tried hooking my DirecTV box up to my ATI TV Wonder 650, to no avail. All it would do is give me an error: "IR Hardware Not Detected", even if I had my ATI USB IR receiver plugged in and in front of the box (a D12NC-500).

That said, even with cable: dropped frames, WMC hangs, incomplete recordings, snow on screen, and the occasional BSOD. I am never going back to Vista (and especially to recording TV on it) ever again. It's a waste of time.

+1 for "Vista like a hang nail".

BETATEST
February 21st, 2010, 03:43 AM
Sigh - not a single funny or snide remark about my U"n"buntu in the subject. :D

I was reading an article on how the mind sometimes skips over words - your eyes see the letters U-N-B-U-N-T-U, tells you UNbuntu ... but the mind, so used to seeing "U-B-U-N-T-U" ... drops the recognition of that extra N.

Technically, it was a personal play on the words Unwind and Ubuntu ... just me ... when I unwind on the Internet, I'm using Ubuntu.

:P

dearingj
February 22nd, 2010, 05:53 AM
Sigh - not a single funny or snide remark about my U"n"buntu in the subject. :D
<snip>

:P

I had assumed it was just a typo.

dragos240
February 22nd, 2010, 05:56 AM
I roll with arch

You just got the...... BAN HAMMER!

PhoHammer
February 22nd, 2010, 06:09 AM
I triple boot Mac OS X, Windows XP (soon to be replaced with 7), and Ubuntu. Ubuntu's the only one I use often.

Ditto, but with the Win7. I just wish Ubuntu could match Mac OS X 10.6's battery life.

scouser73
February 23rd, 2010, 12:32 AM
Ubuntu is my sole O/S.

bunburya
February 23rd, 2010, 12:37 AM
Kubuntu as the main OS, Vista kept on with a tiny fraction of the HD and hardly ever used (really only to watch DVDs, which for some reason I can't in 9.10).

xpod
February 23rd, 2010, 12:57 AM
Plain old Ubuntu on my desktop and a lightweight pick n mix on my laptop. That`s just my own machines of course. I wont bother listing every other machine around the house but suffice to say there`s a whole lot of *buntu`ing going on. :D

nerdy_kid
February 23rd, 2010, 01:11 AM
karmic as my main distro (as in i dont ever boot the other {currently fedora}) on my laptop, with a WinXP VM that i boot ~1 time every 2.5 months for stuff like...pinball :D Have jaunty serving on my desktop.

plurworldinc
February 23rd, 2010, 01:46 AM
i am a Ubuntu only guy, but if i could get the whole dual boot thing to work for me I would in a heart bet, just to spice things up a bit.

xpod
February 23rd, 2010, 01:51 AM
i am a Ubuntu only guy, but if i could get the whole dual boot thing to work for me I would in a heart bet, just to spice things up a bit.

Install Virtualbox or similar and use Virtual machines instead. It sure beats that dualbooting lark.