PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need help to install Xubuntu on Laptop.

harrisonk
February 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hello

I need to install Xubuntu on an IBM Thinkpad R31, I tried the cd and it would boot but never get to the desktop or installation screen. I tried booting a usb stick but that didn't work, Is there any way to install ubuntu from within XP which it the curent OS?

Thanks.

Harrison

SuperSonic4
February 19th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Can't you use wubi?

darkod
February 19th, 2010, 06:37 PM
While wubi is an "easy" way to try ubuntu, it was never meant to be long term installation. This was also recently confirmed by the developer himself.

Have you checked whether the laptop has the minimum requirement needed for Xubuntu?
Also, running from the live cd needs better hardware than installing with the alternate cd. You might try that also.
The installer is text based but you end up with the same system.

harrisonk
February 19th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I can't use WUBI because the HDD only has 2 GB left (it's only 15 GB). Any other ideas?

Harrison

harrisonk
February 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
@darkod

The lappy meets the minimum requirments for Ubuntu so it would probably work with Xubuntu since it is a lighter OS.

Harrison

darkod
February 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
When you boot the cd and it loads the main menu, you should be able to hit F4 for Advanced Menu Options and select Safe Graphics. Usually video driver issues are blocking loading of the live desktop.
Can you try that to see what happens?

harrisonk
February 19th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Did that and no luck.

Thanks again.

Harrison

harrisonk
February 19th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Downloading the Xubuntu 9.10 Alternate install CD right now.

Harrison

darkod
February 19th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I'm out of ideas right now. Try the alternate cd and see how it goes. The text based installer can be little strange depending if you're not used to it, but it's not difficult to use at all.
Hopefully it will do the job.

harrisonk
February 20th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Hello

All fixed. I installed it had a problem with the video but got that fixed.

Harrison