PDA

View Full Version : Rates for setting up a wireless network?

Slug71
February 19th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Hey guys and gals,

The hotel i work for offer wifi, but it SUCKS and we get a few complaints a about it. I think i might offer to upgrade it for them but wasnt sure what to charge for labour? I aint doing it on my hourly.

I think i might just upgrade the router to something like a wrt610n which should be good for a few years and then adding a couple range expanders.

Might install Ubuntu on the guest PC in the lobby too. :D
Will have to check the repos for a kiosk browser though.

CharlesA
February 19th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Depending on how large the hotel is, all you might need to do is install a high-gain antenna (external antenna maybe).

Slug71
February 20th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Depending on how large the hotel is, all you might need to do is install a high-gain antenna (external antenna maybe).

Thanks for the tip.
Its a pretty small hotel. 80 rooms and 3 floors.

Gallahhad
February 20th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Call around and find out what "Pro's" in your area charge, then shave 10% off. You'll make a decent amount on a cool side project, and you'll get to add it to your resume.

cariboo
February 20th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I think the job will be a little more complicated than adding just a high gain antenna. I would suggest getting some signal strength software and wander around the Hotel and check signal strength. Depending on what is in the floors and walls you will probably need signal boosters.

I would also suggest, if it's possible to upgrade the router's firmware to dd-wrt, than you can use something like Sputnik (http://www.sputnik.com/products/wifi_devices/sputnik_agent/index.html) to control access, so you don't have some kid sitting in the parking lot leaching the bandwidth.

Once you have figured the cost of parts and supplies, I would suggest at least $80.00 per hour, which is probably on the low side for labour.