PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Ubuntu One - what can I sync?

zami
February 19th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I've got a netbook coming - I'm very excited!! My desktop is also the entire family's entertainment system. And being able to put on an audio book for my kids and check my email from the other end of the house where its' quiet? ooooh, it's a long lived dream of mine...
::swoon::

Anyhow it's an Asus Eee PC (250GB SATA hard drive, 1.6GHZ Atom processor, 1GBDDR2 RAM, 10.1" screen - claims a battery life of 8.5 hours (?!)) and it should be here on Monday.

So! What all I can sync up between the two machines?

The goals are...
Email
Bookmarks
To-Do list
Tomboy Notes
Misc. files
Maybe there are some other handy dandy syncable options I'm not thinking of? Any suggestions?

Email:
I have a Pop email (through my ISP) so I dont' think there are any simple answers here. Am I wrong on that?
Could I sync the entire .evolution folder, or ".evolution/mail/pop/..."?
Would syncing possible (or more plausible?) with Thunderbird?

If it's a total no-go, are there any IMAP email services out there that... don't stink? I don't want to send "buy this thing" and "search with this engine" along with my messages, and I don't want to start bouncing off every email group I'm in (just try to join a Yahoo!Group with a HotMail account!) For (eventual) simplicity between two machines, I'd gladly switch from a POP to an IMAP service.

Bookmarks:
All set up!

To-Do List:
Anything readily syncable?
I know I *can* just use Tomboy Notes, but I'm looking for something a little easier to organize tasks through. And a method to note tasks as "completed", that is a little more elegant than just deleting text.

I also know I can switch to "Remember The Milk" or a similar account/web-based application... I may end up going this route, but I'd certainly prefer something simpler, and more Gnome friendly.

Tomboy Notes:
All set up!

Misc. Files:
Looks very doable through Nautilus and sharing and whatnot. (Just looking at the Ubuntu One tutorials.)

Anything Else:
Hit me! Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback!

-zami

Tibuda
February 19th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Email:
I have a Pop email (through my ISP) so I dont' think there are any simple answers here. Am I wrong on that?
Could I sync the entire .evolution folder, or ".evolution/mail/pop/..."?
Would syncing possible (or more plausible?) with Thunderbird?

If it's a total no-go, are there any IMAP email services out there that... don't stink? I don't want to send "buy this thing" and "search with this engine" along with my messages, and I don't want to start bouncing off every email group I'm in (just try to join a Yahoo!Group with a HotMail account!) For (eventual) simplicity between two machines, I'd gladly switch from a POP to an IMAP service.
You can symlink your .evolution and .thunderbird folders to your UbuntuOne folder, but I think IMAP is the way to go to sync mail. Gmail is the best free service IMHO, and it does not put anything on your messages. You can also tweak it to read your POP account.

To-Do List:
Anything readily syncable?
I know I *can* just use Tomboy Notes, but I'm looking for something a little easier to organize tasks through. And a method to note tasks as "completed", that is a little more elegant than just deleting text.

I also know I can switch to "Remember The Milk" or a similar account/web-based application... I may end up going this route, but I'd certainly prefer something simpler, and more Gnome friendly.
I use Remember the Milk with Tasque (http://live.gnome.org/Tasque) as frontend.

zami
February 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks so much!

I had no idea Gmail could be tweaked to read Pop accounts. I'll look into that. I'll try syncing .evolution as well. I'm thinking if one machine is actually removing messages from the server, and the other is not, I can only mess things up *so* badly if it doesn't work well.

Regarding Tasque - I'll have to try it again! Thanks! I also see you can save to a file. I'm going to try to find that file. (Maybe finding that file, I'll find a way to have more categories within Tasque, too.)

-zami

FuturePilot
February 19th, 2010, 06:19 PM
IMAP is probably the way to go instead of trying to sync them through Ubuntu One. But I wouldn't recommend Gmail for IMAP. Gmail totally broke the way IMAP works with their stupid labels and other non-standard implementations. Unless of course you like banging your head into a wall for several hours. ;) I use GMX which offers IMAP and it works beautifully.

Richard1979
February 19th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Put any useful scripts or Bash snippets in there too.
Such as when you need to type a command to reinstall Grub etc that you find on this forum.

zami
February 19th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Richard1979 - good call!!

FuturePilot - thanks. I have no idea what GMX is. I'll look into it!

-zami