PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Heeeeeeelp

Rocprof
February 19th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I am having no end of problem trying to instal Ubuntu 9.10 on a AMD Athlon XP2400+
Anybody got any ideas

Vakman
February 19th, 2010, 04:54 PM
We will need a little more information.
What happens when you try to install Ubuntu? What version of Ubuntu are you trying to install? Are you using the LiveCD or the Alternate Installation? What kind of a graphics card or chip do you have?
Most importantly, currently, what happens when you try to install it.

hemimaniac
February 19th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I am having no end of problem trying to instal Ubuntu 9.10 on a AMD Athlon XP2400+
Anybody got any ideas

Way to vague to get help with, most will skip right over this one, need to know what are you installing cd/dvd/usb? is it seeing the install disk? is it booting straight to you're other os?

Rocprof
February 19th, 2010, 05:02 PM
right here we go. Im using a cd which i ordered from opensource it is the Ubuntu 9.10 desktop edition. Im trying to instal on a pentium 4 amd athlon 2400+ 2Ghz with 2Gb ram and 80Gb hard drive. When I boot from the disk it coes to the ubuntu installation page then up pops the language selection window. I select english then click instal ubuntu at which stage the screen goes black for a couple seconds up pops the smal ubuntu logo which goes dim then bright repeatedly for a while. The screen then goes black for a long while at which stage the moniter powers down and the cdrom stops and thats that

darkod
February 19th, 2010, 05:05 PM
What happens if you select the Try Ubuntu option? Can you load the live desktop successfully? If not, probably there is some issue with the hardware and the installation doesn't go through because of the same reason maybe.

drpjkurian
February 19th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hi
Please check out whether your CD is a 64 bit version of Ubuntu

Rocprof
February 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hi
Please check out whether your CD is a 64 bit version of Ubuntu

how would I check that

Vakman
February 19th, 2010, 05:13 PM
What happens if you select the Try Ubuntu option? Can you load the live desktop successfully? If not, probably there is some issue with the hardware and the installation doesn't go through because of the same reason maybe.

Note: We would still like to know what the graphics card or chip is.

Rocprof
February 19th, 2010, 05:14 PM
oops sorry its an Nvidia Geforce FX5200

drpjkurian
February 19th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Hi
As soon as you boot from CD, you will get a statement which explains the as i386 for intel and 64 for amd

I hope I am right
give a try

darkod
February 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I can't check right now but if I'm not mistaken at the main menu at the bottom there are instructions to hit some F button for safe graphics mode. If Try Ubuntu works like that, but otherwise doesn't, than it's up to the graphics card.
Try it.

Vakman
February 19th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I can't check right now but if I'm not mistaken at the main menu at the bottom there are instructions to hit some F button for safe graphics mode. If Try Ubuntu works like that, but otherwise doesn't, than it's up to the graphics card.
Try it.

I think it is F4, it is a good idea.
It should say after you choose "English", you will see the options to access this option at the bottom. F1 = Something... etc. Look for the one that says "Alternate StartUp Options" or something similar to that.

kansasnoob
February 19th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Make sure the CD is good by selecting Check for errors. It takes several minutes. If it just fails to display any results move on to the next step.

See if you can run the Live environment by choosing Try Ubuntu without changes. If no before selecting Try without changes press F4 and select "Safe Graphics mode" and see if that works.

Rocprof
February 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the help I shall try some of the suggestions