PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing packages wants to remove Ubuntu-Desktop - is this OK?

dnairb
February 19th, 2010, 04:35 PM
After using Ubuntu for 2 years, I still find areas where I am not completely confident.
My question is: I want to remove some packages (sound recorder, for example); when I attempt to do so, I am warned that Ubuntu-desktop will also be removed. Is this OK?
My understanding is that Ubuntu-desktop is a meta-package that pulls in other packages, and is only really needed when upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10 for example. The packages that are part of ubuntu-desktop are still updated during a normal update. Would I be right in thinking this?

drpjkurian
February 19th, 2010, 04:46 PM
After using Ubuntu for 2 years, I still find areas where I am not completely confident.
My question is: I want to remove some packages (sound recorder, for example); when I attempt to do so, I am warned that Ubuntu-desktop will also be removed. Is this OK?
My understanding is that Ubuntu-desktop is a meta-package that pulls in other packages, and is only really needed when upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10 for example. The packages that are part of ubuntu-desktop are still updated during a normal update. Would I be right in thinking this?

Hi
I advice you not to remove those core packages

2hot6ft2
February 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM
To the best of my knowledge you are correct. I still feel uneasy about removing those packages myself so I don't.
Not much help I know but others have reported that they had no problems after removing the meta package.

I would wait for more people to chime in on it before taking any action.

oldos2er
February 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM
It's ok to remove ubuntu-desktop. You would need to install it in the future if you want to upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu.