PDA

View Full Version : Install fest or ???

cprofitt
February 19th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I am curious what you, the Linux faithful, think about install fests. In short do you think install fests still hold value? Would you attend an install fest? As a follow-up do you think install fests should be changed to 'linux fest' and included installs, informational presentations and/or hands-on workshops? In short what would you do to increase the overall appeal of a linux event? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

MooPi
February 19th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Myself and a couple other fellows recently had a small install fest/expose`. Not what you would call a success, but it was fun. We plan on doing it again with better planning and better info prior to the expose`. So yes I think it is worthwhile and a good way to socialize with other enthusiast.

samalex
February 19th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I am curious what you, the Linux faithful, think about install fests. In short do you think install fests still hold value? Would you attend an install fest? As a follow-up do you think install fests should be changed to 'linux fest' and included installs, informational presentations and/or hands-on workshops? In short what would you do to increase the overall appeal of a linux event? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

It depends on who's running the Installfest. Our LUG had one about 7 or 8 years ago, but we had one person show-up with some sub-Pentium system we couldn't do anything with.

For an Installfest to be successful, you really need a good technical group to help iron out problems for people. If someone comes in with what they consider a good piece of hardware and the group can't get Linux installed and working for whatever reason, unfortunately that could leave the person with a bad impression of either Linux, the LUG, or both. I do however think Installfests are a great idea, and we've talked about doing one in our LUG again.

Here's a great Installfest Howto that's old but still useful:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Installfest-HOWTO/

As for changing it to LinuxFest, I don't know about that, at least for our group. Though we're a LUG we advocate all FOSS operating systems, so I could see someone asking for FreeBSD instead of Linux for example.

Take care,

Sam

Bachstelze
February 19th, 2010, 08:46 PM
In short what would you do to increase the overall appeal of a linux event? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

It really depends how big the event is. Are we talking about just an afternoon, or several days?

cprofitt
February 20th, 2010, 01:18 AM
to reply to a couple of points:

It is a local LUG that usually co-sponsors the install fest with the state LoCo.

We have a very good process setup that tells people what the minimum specifications are for equipment, how data should be backed up prior to the event (though we always assist if asked) and list of OSes we will be offering (based on volunteers willing to install an OS).

The desire to 'change' the style of an event is to ensure that current Linux users, who may not be 'experts' find value in attending as well as people who want assistance with installing Linux.

The events usually last between 4 and 8 hours depending on the local LUG.