PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install to Windows

Captain_MDS
February 19th, 2010, 02:47 PM
General question, I have unmovable files scattered all over my hd (xp) and not a lot of free space available, about 15gb. What are the advantages (if any) and disadvantages to
installing 9.10 to windows instead of to a separate partition? Would I be subjecting Ubuntu to possible virus/spyware since it would be located in the C: drive?
Captain_MDS

raymondh
February 19th, 2010, 06:12 PM
General question, I have unmovable files scattered all over my hd (xp) and not a lot of free space available, about 15gb. What are the advantages (if any) and disadvantages to
installing 9.10 to windows instead of to a separate partition? Would I be subjecting Ubuntu to possible virus/spyware since it would be located in the C: drive?
Captain_MDS

1. windows-based and targetted virus' are different from linux-based/targetted virus'. However, since your linux is a file-system within windows, "if the host is infected, then the guests' will have a miserable time".

2. if windows crashes, or is not closed/ejected properly ... well, you get the point :)

3. Virtual space (to keep the guest) has to come from somewhere. It will reduce your current allocation for windows. Also, I have heard that is is best to keep the HD/partition 10-20% free for windows to move freely.

See this interview with RUSSO, the developer of WUBI installs. Note his response to the second question.

http://howsoftwareisbuilt.com/2009/03/12/interview-with-agostino-russo-wubi-ubuntu/

Raymond

Captain_MDS
February 19th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks, I get the picture. Wanted to "test drive" Ubuntu before I did a proper install.
I don't have enough free space so I'll have to wait until I get a new computer. Hopefully soon.
Again, thanks
Captain_MDS